BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
This is not true at all. Also, the highs and lows are fine IMO. Compared to a 5k system, then yeah, probably.
Well bear in mind that different people's hearing responds to different frequencies. There aren't two people in the world who will agree absolutely on what is the best system, which is why audio engineers tend to drink alone Me, I heard distortion at what I consider moderate volume levels... though the "sweet spot" for the HiFi system is reasonably wide... but others may not hear it.

Also, I will point out that my test of the HK versus HiFi was done with the car off at standstill... once moving a lot of the "bad" parts of the sound will get washed out by the sound of the car itself.

I have spent a lot of time in professional studios which has sort of spoiled me on good audio... though I'd agree with other points made here that car manufacturers in general don't produce great sound systems... but they have to produce sounds systems that are good "do everything" systems. If you want real audiophile sound you need a different set of speakers for different types of music. Yeah, even I'm not that nuts about my sound... I'll listen to the exhaust instead
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

thanks for all the input
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

If I could take the radio out and remain class legal, I would.

I am fine with the base unit radio. I have had the upgrade in 4 of my past BMW's and have never really thought it was worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I have what is considered the 'base' for the 1///M audio in my '08 135i (which in the 2010/11 MY of 135i's was changed to a lower spec), and the HK currently in my 1///M. While it is not a true Logic 7, I think it offers a very noticeable improvement over the base. With that said, you can spend that amount of money (or in fact quite less) on aftermarket speakers and achieve a great result as well. Goes back more to your decision whether you want all factory or willing to go aftermarket. Either way, for a 'base' system, you won't find it disappointing, sounds way better than the Bose (Buy Other Stereo Equipment) cost option in my Audi!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #27
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for everyone opinions but I am still in 2 minds lol

We are not daily drivers so its weekend fun only, is the upgrade really going to be worth it in my position................. maybe I am just better off with the base system and if I feel the need upgrade the oem speakers with some quality aftermarkets at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #28
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Thanks for everyone opinions but I am still in 2 minds lol

We are not daily drivers so its weekend fun only, is the upgrade really going to be worth it in my position................. maybe I am just better off with the base system and if I feel the need upgrade the oem speakers with some quality aftermarkets at a later date.
then go for the middle, like I did, the HIFI Pro. (especially as it is a weekend car only)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #29
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Aussie, I had HK in my previous 3ers and if they are of any indication, HKs should be sufficient for most, in most cars. I suspect you may be paying much attention to the engine and exhaust notes most of the time. Other times, the HK should suffice. my 0.02. Go Wallabies!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #30
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
then go for the middle, like I did, the HIFI Pro. (especially as it is a weekend car only)
Decisions decisions, I have a few more weeks to decide, I was considering going the hifi just for the addition of twitters..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Aussie, I had HK in my previous 3ers and if they are of any indication, HKs should be sufficient for most, in most cars. I suspect you may be paying much attention to the engine and exhaust notes most of the time. Other times, the HK should suffice. my 0.02. Go Wallabies!!
thats it mate and how it has always really been, listening to the engine and exhaust note first up, music has always been a bit of background sound for the longer drives. Never been indecisive about a sound system in a car purchase before, not sure why I have started now........once we get word the car is going into build make your final call, then I will make the call.

As for the rugby, so bloody close in the second half, but finally the 10yr drought is over.......Radike Samo is a machine and a legend.....

Bring on the World Cup!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #31
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

I use my car as a weekend car and have HK. I can certainly say i've never looked back. Worth the money but it very much depends on how much you appreciate your music and the kind of music you listen too!

The bass reproduction from the HK has far exceeded my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #32
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Specd HK and electric seats originally on my VO but have now cancelled these. My car will be used as a weekend car for short blasts and I will spend this time listening to turbos, induction and exhaust noises rather than music. Thought also that these extras are not in keeping with the car a bit how my M3 CSL was, which didn't even have a radio!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

HK is more than sufficient for car hifi, it is by all means a car.....you will never have really good acoustics for obvious reasons off course. It is good enough for me and similar to my previous M3 Logic 7 system.

If you want good hifi I do suggest this;

Last edited by Romo; 08-28-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
HK is more than sufficient for car hifi, it is by all means a car.....you will never have really good acoustics for obvious reasons off course. It is good enough for me and similar to my previous M3 Logic 7 system.

If you want good hifi I do suggest this;

Hard to decide what made me laugh more - that photo or your avatar!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Thanks, love my avatar.................but how about this for a change.........

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #36
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
I disagree^

For the cost difference, you will not find anything that is better at moving digital information about a circuit board. It's digital information..! Only the DAC usually effects what you hear. The HK has great fidelity, but the stock speakers are not efficient, or of the best quality. Thus, the sound you HEAR is not quite audiophile, but usually good enough, given the mobile environment.

As any wind noise, traffic, engine noise of the car audio environment subtract from the sound you hear anyways. No point in spending $2k more, to get minimal anything... & have your dash all turn apart to look "different".

Audiophiles quest after 2 things, fidelity and clarity. H/K with aftermarket speakers will give you this.
Perhaps, but why "spend" the extra 875 only to turn around and replace the speakers? Seems like a waste to me and misses the point of the upgrade.

I guess, in theory, the DAC is improved with the HK system and would merit the extra expense, but I haven't seen anything that would confirm that. I think my supposition still stands, IMHO.

Heck, just getting more efficient speakers that can be had for LESS than the cost of the HK system I'd bet would get you a sound on par if not better than the HK upgrade. No tearing up anything, just straight up swap of stock speakers.

I know for me and my needs, that quest for fidelity and clarity would necessitate more than what the HK upgrade would offer. And I think I could achieve something better at a comparable expenditure.

But I do have to caveat that with the fact that I have not actually heard the 1M HK system. All that is based on my experience thus far with OEM car audio systems. I could be proven wrong but I have a strong suspicion that I'm not.
      08-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #37
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i think the biggest upgrade to sound quality out of a mobile system is dynomat or a like product. there are pros and cons to doing this, but i'm not in HS or college anymore, so HK is fine for me. i'd rather drive the car, with a little factory upgraded stereo (got mine with HK system).

EDITED: Oh I do like an good home stereo though! I have a Denon 4311-CI paired with full 9.2 speaker setup (PSB Image T6 for the stereo fronts, Image C center, and Imagine S surrounds and two Martin Logan Dynamo 700 subs). I know it's not the MOST I could spend on a system, but it's pretty damn good for the $$$. All in all...what made the biggest impact to my home theater environment(?): the SPEAKER CABLES!!! I went with a full AudioQuest upgrade throughout with AudioQuest silver connectors. I had some great Monster cables before, but the new cabling was an HUGE success and completely livened up my system. Just goes to show that the basics of any stereo starts from the ground up (hence why I think dynomat would be the best place to start for a mobile environment...if you want to play the role of "true mobile audiophile").

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 08-28-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #38
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Keep it coming people, some great info and some I haven't a clue about lol but still good....

I haven't ever been into the big bass pounding mobile discos on wheels just something to slot a cd into and listen to some vibs when I ain't listening to the exhaust or the wife lol so I am not your audiophile type just really wanting to know HK system or base system with upgraded descent replacement speakers for those longer drives to the ring and back.........

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 08-28-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #39
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

If it's a "keeper" HK is a must .... this system is a vast improvement over the one in my e46M3 .... great acoustic quality!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #40
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Keep it coming people, some great info and some I haven't a clue about lol bit still good....

I haven't ever been into the big bass pounding mobile discos on wheels just something to slot a cd into and listen to some vibs when I ain't listening to the exhaust or the wife lol so I am not your audiophile type just really wanting to know HK system or base system with upgraded descent replacement speakers for those longer drives to the ring and back.........
Really, all of this is just conjecture because only you know what sounds good to you. And I have no idea what sounds good to you, but just going on your needs and ease of solution, it sounds like you'll be fine with the HK upgrade. From the factory, already installed, no having to find the right size speakers and have someone mucking about pulling things out and putting things in! For you, I really think you'd be just fine with it.

Hmmm... just thinking about that, I might have talked myself into it! LOL.

I guess I've just become too spoiled with what can be achieved in car audio. Although it's a terrible environment for listening, I just can't ever seem to make due with just the stock radio for as much time as I spend in the car. And yes listening the motor and exhaust are great but that's great on the track when that's all you want to hear. As a daily driver and taking long road trips, gotta have something that plays tunes nicely.

And there is one other thing that really irritates me that all OEM car audio systems never seem to address and that is proper staging. I'm always so annoyed to hear all my audio coming from the passenger side of the car or worse, from the rear.

And a lot of the times, the factory upgrades focus on making things louder but never address proper staging of the audio which also makes a big difference to some of us "audiophiles".
      08-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #41
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Same here mate, I was a bit scared that the basic system was going to be crap. I didn't fancy spending HK money as I don't do many miles so I opted for the mid spec HI FI option. I get the car on thurs so I'll report back then!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #42
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
And there is one other thing that really irritates me that all OEM car audio systems never seem to address and that is proper staging. I'm always so annoyed to hear all my audio coming from the passenger side of the car or worse, from the rear.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!! That's one thing that just CAN'T be corrected with good speakers/equipment alone though. The CAR has to be properly set up for staging, and your sound stage has to be set up way in front of you for that (or reflective somehow). We used to set up some sick systems (was an installer back in the days of when phoenix gold was actually good) and the best stage I've heard YET was in a freaking mini-van of all cars. Yup, a ford windstar converted into a TRUCK. It was the most hideous thing I ever saw in my life, and I had to close my eyes to listen to the stereo. But nothing ever sounded so good! The speakers were set way up front (I think Boston Acoustic Reference Series) and it made the perfect sound stage...like being at a concert. Since then, no matter how much $$$ people threw at their cars, no stage ever sounded the same to me.

So now I have to add that to my list; dynomat and enough room to set up a stage (which could require a lot of dash cutting). Yup...talked myself into the HK system for this daily driver too.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #43
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Damn you guys! The vehicle options are starting to pile up, now that you've talked me into getting the HK. I guess $875 isn't going to kill me. I have Paradigm speakers in my Home Theater, so I am a little bit of a nut. Nothing like the pics above, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
So now I have to add that to my list; dynomat and enough room to set up a stage (which could require a lot of dash cutting). Yup...talked myself into the HK system for this daily driver too.
Just thinking of what I had to put up with to get good sound in my current car, I just don't feel up to dealing with all that crap again. I'm pouring over all the 135i audio threads to see what they've done and issues they've run into.

And now, I’m thinking I should just cut myself off from going down that road and go with formula M's recommendation of HK and aftermarket speakers and be done with it.

v1k0d3n, you seem to know the obsession with mobile audio. I can’t remember if you got your car already, but is the HK good enough for you? Is the staging the normal OEM setup, lots of passenger, rear bias? Just wish I could hear the system to determine if I could live with the setup in the car…