BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Aftermarket alarm > factory alarm. Install succes!

Aftermarket alarm success!

Installed a Viper 5901 alarm in the 135 this weekend (features listed here: http://www.viper.com/p-5702v/viper-5...e-start-system).

This alarm, along with a DB-ALL can bus module, gave me the following:

Window roll up
Window roll down (1 press to vent, 2 to open fully)
Comfort closure (windows and sunroof close when you leave the car)
Trunk pin
Trunk pop
Door pins
Door unlock/lock
Ignition status
Parking lights
Alarm arm/disarm from factory fob

So, for a total of 4 wires tapped into the car, I've got an alarm that's much more comprehensive then anything BMW offers, and it was cheaper then just the coding to retrofit the factory part.

Alarm will page you via the fob when the alarm is triggered in any way (shock warn, shock full alarm, door open, trunk open, etc).

Here's some pics...

Harness I made - green and yellow go to CAN-High / CAN-Low, two reds go to +12 constant and +12 ignition.

Put the siren in the factory location, ran 1 wire through the grommet for siren power. Runs directly to the brain. Tied the ground to the mount.

I installed the brain in the trunk where the SAT radio module would go, but I may relocate it under the dash as the shock sensor isn't very sensitive in this location.

DB-ALL module is on top. There's actually no CAN module listed for the US 1 series, so I used the European firmware version.

I stuck the antenna in the back window, on the drivers side. This way I don't see it in my rear view mirror. Didn't take a picture of this one.

For the two power leads, I used fuse block taps:

Overall it was a pretty simple install, and now I can vent or roll up my windows from my desk on the 4th floor at work.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Nice! Clean install too.

Does the remote start work? Do you have Comfort access? Do the 2 work together?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Nice! Clean install too.

Does the remote start work? Do you have Comfort access? Do the 2 work together?
The remote start would work, but you need a KIBMW module which hijacks the push to start and fob slot. I plan on storing the car in the winter so I skipped it.

I don't have comfort access, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. You still have the touch the door knob to unlock/disarm the factory keyless entry, which would disarm the viper.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Could you provide me any more details on how to do this? I am no guru, but I installed a Compustar 2wss-as on my previous car, and loads of other electronics. I really miss the remote start and remote paging features from my old alarm.

I do have comfort access, however I assume I will still need the KIBMW module for remote start correct?

Where would be a good place to get the DB-ALL and KIBMW modules?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
Could you provide me any more details on how to do this? I am no guru, but I installed a Compustar 2wss-as on my previous car, and loads of other electronics. I really miss the remote start and remote paging features from my old alarm.

I do have comfort access, however I assume I will still need the KIBMW module for remote start correct?

Where would be a good place to get the DB-ALL and KIBMW modules?

Thanks!
I sourced my DB-ALL from ebay, but you do have to get it loaded with the firmware. I just took mine to a local shop and they did it for free.

I assume you can get the KIBMW module any place that sells DEI.

It goes inline with the key fob / start button module, and eliminates having to tie into the ignition leads I believe.

Look here for more info:

http://www.xpresskit.com%2FDocumentD...yENbhaXI-HYCEg

Edit - apparently can't paste the link. Just google BMW DBALL and it's the first result - PDF.

Last edited by str8shot; 08-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: link error
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
jackgr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Want to try this on my 2012 135i

I've been looking for a way to retrofit my 2012 135i with an alarm. I bought it slightly used. It didn't come with an alarm and is not prewired for one. Here are some questions:

Does your solution require factory prewiring?

What CAN module did you use and where did you get it?

Did you fabricate the fuse block tap shown in the pic or did you buy that?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0