BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Question Hey Jurrian - How about the 8.5's w/ 225 front/255 rear?

Jurrian, I'm lovin' the 18" CSL reps. Has anyone done the 8.5's all around, but with 225/40 in front and 255/35 rear? According to TR's fitment charts, both sizes are within the recommended range for the 8.5's, and a couple of members have run the 255's on their stock 18x8.5's, on their 135's. I realize the offset is 40mm as opposed to 45mm on the 9.5 inchers, but the "net" still gives about 7mm more clearance than the 9.5's. If so, any pics? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

We run those sizes for the E46 Sedans and it works perfectly. I'd recommend that sizing for the 1er as well, the 235/265 front/rear is real aggressive and rubs with some tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Jurrian, I'm lovin' the 18" CSL reps. Has anyone done the 8.5's all around, but with 225/40 in front and 255/35 rear? According to TR's fitment charts, both sizes are within the recommended range for the 8.5's, and a couple of members have run the 255's on their stock 18x8.5's, on their 135's. I realize the offset is 40mm as opposed to 45mm on the 9.5 inchers, but the "net" still gives about 7mm more clearance than the 9.5's. If so, any pics? Thanks!
I actually haven't seen someone do that before. I personally wouldn't really recommend it, for just one simple reason. To be honest, it just doesn't seem right putting a larger tire in the back without it being coupled for a with a larger rear wheel.

When you add a larger rear tire, if it's not coupled with a larger wheel, you're not getting the most contact patch out of it. To be completely honest, it's just not worth your money spending it on a larger rear tire. If you really want to get a larger wheel in the back with a larger tire, just go for it. Here's a few pictures of the staggered set up:

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM or you can just give me a call
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
We run those sizes for the E46 Sedans and it works perfectly. I'd recommend that sizing for the 1er as well, the 235/265 front/rear is real aggressive and rubs with some tires.
Nick, sorry to be redundant but just want to be clear; are you saying you've run the 225 / 255 combo (on the e46) with both sizes on 8.5 inch rims?

I am hearing what Jurrian is saying for sure - but I also know that most of the guys running Breyton GTS-R's (including Gill) are running 255's in the rear. Those rear Breytons are 8.5" wide, same as the front width of the staggered fitment CSL reps from EAS. Meanwhile, most guys and gals with the CSL reps are running 225's in the front already. If I were going to run 245's in the rear I wouldn't even hesitate, but I wish to run Ultra High Performance All Seasons, not Summers, and there is nothing in the 245 size from that category.

An alternative is to give up a little "meat"! That is, run the 8.5's all around with all 225/40/18's. I figure, they will look somewhat better than the 225/45/17's on the rear presently (stock 128 sport pkg) because (A) they will be on a wheel that's a full inch wider than factory (8.5 vs 7.5) and (B) the CSL reps have 7mm less offset than my rears. Advantages here in cost and weight, and I'm sure it would look damn good too, lol. Another rear compromise would be 235/40/18's, however, the fact that they're about .4 inch taller than the 225's means my overall gearing is affected (taller). Sure it's not much but remember, I'm in a 128 here and not a 135.

Yes, I know many members are running the 8.5/9.5 staggered combo and yes, it looks mean as hell...but I do carry my 7- and 9-year old in the back from time to time, and living here in New England means we've got our share of um, "pavement irregularities" to deal with! The clearance issue is thus a biggie for me.

I know I'm taking up a lot of "online ink" here, but I hope my decision and then my pics will be of further help to those looking at the similar dilemma. Meanwhile, let's raise our glasses to the continued development of 1er-specific fitments! Love to hear back, Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

PS- Does anyone know if a tire becomes somewhat shorter as it's put on a wider wheel? For instance - will a 235 on an 8.5" wheel be a bit shorter than it would be on a 7.5 incher, thus slightly changing the published diameter of the tire? It seems to make sense, and that if you took a tire and began pulling the beads slowly apart, that the tire would get a bit shorter. If this is indeed the case, then I might end up with the same tire diameter with a 235 on an 8.5 as I would with a 225 on a 7.5. (???????????) Nuff fer now.

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 08-17-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

I think it may work as long as you know that the tyres will look a little stretched on the front and the tyre wall on the rear will look quite square.

I have 8.5" ET43 all round but have a 7mm spacer rear which effectively gets it to ET36 rear but I have 225 tyres all round.

I will struggle to get a 255 tyre without rubbing with the spacer but you may be OK with ET40 (4mm more clearance). I personally would go 245/35/18 rear.

PS Mine is the hatchback but I believe the clearances are near enough the same
      08-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PS- Does anyone know if a tire becomes somewhat shorter as it's put on a wider wheel? For instance - will a 235 on an 8.5" wheel be a bit shorter than it would be on a 7.5 incher, thus slightly changing the published diameter? It seems to make sense, and that if you took a tire and began pulling the beads slowly apart, that the tire would get a bit shorter. If this is indeed the case, then I might end up with the same tire diameter with a 235 on an 8.5 as I would with a 225 on a 7.5. (???????????) Nuff fer now.
When you begin stretching the tire, the sidewalls will become a bit more depressed so in essence, yeah they'll be a bit shorter than it would if the tire wasn't stretched. This is a VERY extreme picture of stretch (looks like it could be a 195 on a 9" wheel:

(Taken from Tyresstretch.com)

As you can see the sidewall is going to have a bit more clearance on the outsides so yes, they will be a bit less tall, but towards the center of the tire (where the tread is) you wont see much of any difference how tall the sidewall is.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very Helpful - Thanks Jurrian and all! Thinkin' of going square here wheel-wise, 8.5's all around. 225's all around and I can rotate - 235's in the rear means I can't...blah blah blah...

Glad I found this forum y'all - lots of good help and good people!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very Helpful - Thanks Jurrian and all! Thinkin' of going square here wheel-wise, 8.5's all around. 225's all around and I can rotate - 235's in the rear means I can't...blah blah blah...

Glad I found this forum y'all - lots of good help and good people!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Nick, sorry to be redundant but just want to be clear; are you saying you've run the 225 / 255 combo (on the e46) with both sizes on 8.5 inch rims?

I am hearing what Jurrian is saying for sure - but I also know that most of the guys running Breyton GTS-R's (including Gill) are running 255's in the rear. Those rear Breytons are 8.5" wide, same as the front width of the staggered fitment CSL reps from EAS. Meanwhile, most guys and gals with the CSL reps are running 225's in the front already. If I were going to run 245's in the rear I wouldn't even hesitate, but I wish to run Ultra High Performance All Seasons, not Summers, and there is nothing in the 245 size from that category.

An alternative is to give up a little "meat"! That is, run the 8.5's all around with all 225/40/18's. I figure, they will look somewhat better than the 225/45/17's on the rear presently (stock 128 sport pkg) because (A) they will be on a wheel that's a full inch wider than factory (8.5 vs 7.5) and (B) the CSL reps have 7mm less offset than my rears. Advantages here in cost and weight, and I'm sure it would look damn good too, lol. Another rear compromise would be 235/40/18's, however, the fact that they're about .4 inch taller than the 225's means my overall gearing is affected (taller). Sure it's not much but remember, I'm in a 128 here and not a 135.

Yes, I know many members are running the 8.5/9.5 staggered combo and yes, it looks mean as hell...but I do carry my 7- and 9-year old in the back from time to time, and living here in New England means we've got our share of um, "pavement irregularities" to deal with! The clearance issue is thus a biggie for me.

I know I'm taking up a lot of "online ink" here, but I hope my decision and then my pics will be of further help to those looking at the similar dilemma. Meanwhile, let's raise our glasses to the continued development of 1er-specific fitments! Love to hear back, Thanks all!
No and thank you for clarifying, I didn't read that post carefully enough. For a NON staggered setup, I agree with Julian in that you should not run the larger tire. There is no reason to and will prevent you from being able to rotate the wheels. However, for a STAGGERED setup, the 225/255 setup is ideal. Sorry for the confusion!
Appreciate 0