BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i SG, 6MT, M Sp

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Question aFe VS BMS

I am trying to figure out the deal with these two intakes. I have done all the research I think I can do. They seem almost exactly the same. The BMS is inexpensive compared to the aFe, but the aFe comes with an integrated heat shield. I guess what I am looking for is opinions from patrons of both options so I can make the best decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
      04-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
pearso02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White M3 ZCP

Unless you are running a tune I would say neither. I have the BMS and love it, mostly for the sound. The AFE stage two is probably better bc of the heat shield but at that point you have to ask yourself: is this that much better than the stock air box? Is this going to give me 4x more power than the BMS at almost 4x the price?

Just my .02

one35i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by one35i View Post
Unless you are running a tune I would say neither. I have the BMS and love it, mostly for the sound. The AFE stage two is probably better bc of the heat shield but at that point you have to ask yourself: is this that much better than the stock air box? Is this going to give me 4x more power than the BMS at almost 4x the price?

Just my .02

one35i
Well the BMS is claiming 10 whp gains and aFe is claiming 17, but I'm not in it for the hp gains, like you I'm in it for the sound. I guess I should have specified more. My last car was a four banger and I put a custom exhaust then an intake and the difference in sound was astonishing to say the least. I plan on doing the same with my 135.
      04-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
pearso02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator19872
Quote:

Just my .02

one35i
Well the BMS is claiming 10 whp gains and aFe is claiming 17, but I'm not in it for the hp gains, like you I'm in it for the sound. I guess I should have specified more. My last car was a four banger and I put a custom exhaust then an intake and the difference in sound was astonishing to say the least. I plan on doing the same with my 135.
For sound BMS is the absolute best for intakes!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
both are about the same - nothing but some sound. application of open intakes for these cars is only really applicable for drag racing, otherwise you will build way too much heat and will negate any of the function of the increased air. My opinion is stock box with drop in filter. I have used both.
      04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
For sound BMS is the absolute best for intakes!
Alright, thank you for your input and I'll definitely keep it in mind. Also have you talked to a BMW center? Any issues with them saying their not going to work on it under warranty? I've done a lot of research under that as well and the process seems straight forward, but I've heard of dealerships denying due to stupid shit and the customer rolling over due to ignorance. I'm thinking I should just talk to the dealership I'm going to be using and see if they have any issues before buying and installing any engine modification pieces.
      04-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
both are about the same - nothing but some sound. application of open intakes for these cars is only really applicable for drag racing, otherwise you will build way too much heat and will negate any of the function of the increased air. My opinion is stock box with drop in filter. I have used both.
Ok, is heat really that big a deal with a turbo inline 6? That seems to be the general consensus though. I'll do a little more digging, but thanks for your input.
      04-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
pearso02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They made me bring them the stock air box one time. All of the others they haven't cared. My car is getting the turbos replaced right now under warranty with the DCI and berk street exhaust and mid pipes installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
They made me bring them the stock air box one time. All of the others they haven't cared. My car is getting the turbos replaced right now under warranty with the DCI and berk street exhaust and mid pipes installed.
Ok, that's cool. What was the deal with you bringing in the stock box? did they keep it or just look at it and give it back?
      04-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator19872 View Post
Ok, is heat really that big a deal with a turbo inline 6? That seems to be the general consensus though. I'll do a little more digging, but thanks for your input.
Managing heat is everything with this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
pearso02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator19872
Quote:
Ok, that's cool. What was the deal with you bringing in the stock box? did they keep it or just look at it and give it back?
They made me bring it to them and they put it in the car to work on it. It was pretty stupid IMO but oh well
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, talk to your dealer...some dont care but some prefer to have your stock box in place. My dealer doesn't care.

I have not experienced performance loss with my Injen intake due to heat soak. I installed the intake b/c of the sound and I dont want a BOV.

FYI...the Injen DCI was good enough for the ER Time Attack 135i

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 04-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Managing heat is everything with this car.
If you could give me a little more about what you mean? I know a little about turbo charged engines, but I have never owned one. I know that the temperature of the air going into the engine is regulated at the intake and the FMIC. Would getting an upgraded FMIC and just a drop in filter do the job? And would an aftermarket exhaust just do the trick as far as sound is concerned, or would an intake be needed to complete the package? I mean I'm shooting in the dark here, I haven't even received my car yet, and I'm tired (been in Afghanistan for a year). I'm just looking for a good combination to get a good deep, aggressive sound. I don't plan on too many engine mods like a tune and what not possible more cosmetic work than anything else. I want that turn heads feel. I'm just rambling now...
      04-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yes, talk to your dealer...some dont care but some prefer to have your stock box in place. My dealer doesn't care.

I have not experienced performance loss with my Injen intake due to heat soak. I installed the intake b/c of the sound and I dont want a BOV.
Ok, thanks for the info. I saw the Injen intake for the N55 on Mod bargains and I thought that out of the three it looked most out of place, just my opinion. Is it true that the N55 can not have a BOV mod?
      04-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info. I saw the Injen intake for the N55 on Mod bargains and I thought that out of the three it looked most out of place, just my opinion. Is it true that the N55 can not have a BOV mod?
It looks out of place b/c they are trying to keep it further away from the engine (heat). Yes, i believe that is true regarding the N55's and BOVs.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
It looks out of place b/c they are trying to keep it further away from the engine (heat). Yes, i believe that is true regarding the N55's and BOVs.
Yeah, I figured that for both. I don't know I guess it is all personal preference. But the Injen just went back on my list of possible CAI's to buy. Thanks again.
      04-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
had the BMS on my 135 and AFE w/ heatshield on my 1M
woosh is louder from the BMS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
had the BMS on my 135 and AFE w/ heatshield on my 1M
woosh is louder from the BMS
Ok thanks for the info. I'm watching some of the sound clips on youtube of all three I've been looking at. All sound great, that Injen is pretty sick all though they're showing it on a 335. Ok so aFe is off and now the BMS and Injen. Price has me leaning toward the BMS, but their site says they're out of stock
      04-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
If you could give me a little more about what you mean? I know a little about turbo charged engines, but I have never owned one. I know that the temperature of the air going into the engine is regulated at the intake and the FMIC. Would getting an upgraded FMIC and just a drop in filter do the job? And would an aftermarket exhaust just do the trick as far as sound is concerned, or would an intake be needed to complete the package? I mean I'm shooting in the dark here, I haven't even received my car yet, and I'm tired (been in Afghanistan for a year). I'm just looking for a good combination to get a good deep, aggressive sound. I don't plan on too many engine mods like a tune and what not possible more cosmetic work than anything else. I want that turn heads feel. I'm just rambling now...

You are going to get lots of opinions here. I have lots of experience testing this car (Horsepower Freaks 135i) and have spent loads of time out on the track with it. HEAT soak is a HUGE problem with these cars and will dramatically effect your performance. While out at Vegas I was running open BMS intakes and my logs / perf / lap times where dropping off big time, we swapped out the intake and had a huge improvement. Now if you are out on a drag strip, then the theory of max airflow is key and you dont have to worry about heat soak. For DD heat soak can also be an issue depending on where you live and how much you drive, etc. The FMIC was another huge performance upgrade and I think it is a must if you are running lots of mods and driving hard, but even the best FMIC wont prevent all heat soak.

If your goal is to slightly improve perf and have a cooler sounding car then you may not notice a big difference. The folks that are running their cars at the limit pick up on these things and tend to have an opinion. But for what you are looking to do - axle back (midpipe ?) / BMS DCI would be fine and wouldnt think too much about it. if you want a really cool swoosh then get a blow off valve, that will be much more aggressive sounding than the intake.

So to sum it up...DONT spend your $$$$ on the AFE, get the BMS DCI and you will be happy. if you dont like it just swap back and sell it on the forum.
      04-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #20
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
You are going to get lots of opinions here. I have lots of experience testing this car (Horsepower Freaks 135i) and have spent loads of time out on the track with it. HEAT soak is a HUGE problem with these cars and will dramatically effect your performance. While out at Vegas I was running open BMS intakes and my logs / perf / lap times where dropping off big time, we swapped out the intake and had a huge improvement. Now if you are out on a drag strip, then the theory of max airflow is key and you dont have to worry about heat soak. For DD heat soak can also be an issue depending on where you live and how much you drive, etc. The FMIC was another huge performance upgrade and I think it is a must if you are running lots of mods and driving hard, but even the best FMIC wont prevent all heat soak.

If your goal is to slightly improve perf and have a cooler sounding car then you may not notice a big difference. The folks that are running their cars at the limit pick up on these things and tend to have an opinion. But for what you are looking to do - axle back (midpipe ?) / BMS DCI would be fine and wouldnt think too much about it. if you want a really cool swoosh then get a blow off valve, that will be much more aggressive sounding than the intake.

So to sum it up...DONT spend your $$$$ on the AFE, get the BMS DCI and you will be happy. if you dont like it just swap back and sell it on the forum.
Ok... Thank you very much, I really appreciate a seasoned 135i vets input. the only thing is I need to change around a few things, seeing as how I am getting a 2012 N55, and not the N54. Again I really apreciated your input and I am thinking more along the lines of a drag strip, as I'm probably going to be visiting one for an open test and tune while I'm home on leave.
      04-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
If you want a really cool swoosh then get a blow off valve, that will be much more aggressive sounding than the intake.

Might be worth pointing out that the OP will have an N55 engine so cannot install either a BOV or a DCI...

I agree however that the aFe N55 Intake seems WAY overpriced for what it is - and the Injen one is not much better...

The new BMS Intake - which is not DCI, as the N55 is only a single Turbo - looks promising but some people have been saying that it's got a slightly weird sound... An the availability at the moment is very limited so there's not enough of us running it to get all the answers... There's a thread on here about it though...

I'm thinking of getting one though
      04-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #22
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, i believe that is true regarding the N55's and BOVs.
Yup. The N55 has the Diverter Valves mounted directly on the Turbo Housing - rather than the Charge Pipe - so they cannot be replaced with BOVs...