BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #529
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Hello I've been lurking around this site for a while, but I have finally decided to pull the trigger on leasing the 135i. Anyway the car is 09 135i coupe, Space Grey, and black Boston leather. Packages as follow, premium, sport and cold weather. The car will be lease for 36 month with 12K/ year.

After few email exchanges the dealer is not budging on better deal than this. 6K walk out price and $450 a month. 6K includes taxes, which are nearly 1,800 acquisition fee, doc fee, registration tags plus first month payment which come to $ 3,028.76 remaining 3k is extra to reduce monthly payment.

I know it is not wise to put that much money down on a lease but it is the value of my car, plus having a payment in 400s is easier on my eyes than 500s at the end of the month.

Anyway my question is this. Are these numbers reasonable? Will I be able to strike a better deal if I continue to ask about lower payment?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #530
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Hello I've been lurking around this site for a while, but I have finally decided to pull the trigger on leasing the 135i. Anyway the car is 09 135i coupe, Space Grey, and black Boston leather. Packages as follow, premium, sport and cold weather. The car will be lease for 36 month with 12K/ year.

After few email exchanges the dealer is not budging on better deal than this. 6K walk out price and $450 a month. 6K includes taxes, which are nearly 1,800 acquisition fee, doc fee, registration tags plus first month payment which come to $ 3,028.76 remaining 3k is extra to reduce monthly payment.

I know it is not wise to put that much money down on a lease but it is the value of my car, plus having a payment in 400s is easier on my eyes than 500s at the end of the month.

Anyway my question is this. Are these numbers reasonable? Will I be able to strike a better deal if I continue to ask about lower payment?

Hi Lubo, as a general rule I don't really comment on "is this a good deal?" questions, since that is between you & the dealer. A good deal is the one you are comfortable with. I will say this, generally if a dealer is willing to let you walk away, then you are at the end of the rope. That said if post this question for more to see, I'm sure others will be able to help compare what deals they have recieved.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #531
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Hey dbtheo,

Great thread! Now I'm sure someone's asked my questions before but since I'm new here I haven't been keeping track (and I'm not prepared to read 25 pages of posts!).

1) As a rule, does BMW ever drop lease rates on the 1? Similarly, are there ever any manufacturer incentives besides rates (I did a car report -- in Canada -- and the only "incentives" listed were regular and loyalty rates)?

2) If I walk into a dealership and ask for a brochure and complete pricing of features/accessories so I can go home and price a model, would they give me a hard time? I assume they should just give me the price list (MSRP), no?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #532
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Hey dbtheo,

Great thread! Now I'm sure someone's asked my questions before but since I'm new here I haven't been keeping track (and I'm not prepared to read 25 pages of posts!).

1) As a rule, does BMW ever drop lease rates on the 1? Similarly, are there ever any manufacturer incentives besides rates (I did a car report -- in Canada -- and the only "incentives" listed were regular and loyalty rates)?

2) If I walk into a dealership and ask for a brochure and complete pricing of features/accessories so I can go home and price a model, would they give me a hard time? I assume they should just give me the price list (MSRP), no?

Thanks!

1) Yes, actually the rates were lowered this month as compared to last.
a) sometimes. For example, last month BMW was making two months worth of payments on financed vehicles. Also, right now on certain 2008 models there is a market allowance for purchased vehicles

2)They should provide the info no problem, however I would not expect them to provide you invoice info. However you can find that here on this site, or on other internet sites pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #533
Splash
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello,

I have been lurking this forum for a little while now as I'm currently in the market for a 135i. I thank everyone for the vital information shared on this site.

So, here's the deal.

I just paid a visit to a local dealer and they have a 135i with the MSRP sitting at $42,360 or somewhere within that range.

After some conversation, the price fell to about $40,250. I didn't smile at that and shortly afterwards, the sales manager decided to show me the invoice price on his computer. He also stated that he shouldn't be showing me this info but it didn't worry him. The invoice price sat at $39,571 if I remember correctly. Would that be accurate?

With $5,000 down and a money factor of 2.3%, is $472 for 36 months @ 10k a year a legitimate rate?

Thanks in advance as I am very, very new to the leasing game.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #534
Yablonski135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 CSM 135i

Not sure if you'll be able to answer this one, but I'll ask anyway. I am purchasing my 135i through a military sales program. Am I able to finance the car through BMW? I have heard conflicting answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #535
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonski135 View Post
Not sure if you'll be able to answer this one, but I'll ask anyway. I am purchasing my 135i through a military sales program. Am I able to finance the car through BMW? I have heard conflicting answers.
As far as I know, yes. I believe we did one not long ago
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #536
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Hello,

I have been lurking this forum for a little while now as I'm currently in the market for a 135i. I thank everyone for the vital information shared on this site.

So, here's the deal.

I just paid a visit to a local dealer and they have a 135i with the MSRP sitting at $42,360 or somewhere within that range.

After some conversation, the price fell to about $40,250. I didn't smile at that and shortly afterwards, the sales manager decided to show me the invoice price on his computer. He also stated that he shouldn't be showing me this info but it didn't worry him. The invoice price sat at $39,571 if I remember correctly. Would that be accurate?

With $5,000 down and a money factor of 2.3%, is $472 for 36 months @ 10k a year a legitimate rate?

Thanks in advance as I am very, very new to the leasing game.

Much appreciated.
If this is $5000 net due @ signing, seems accurate.

If it is $5000 + startups, then something is not quite right
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #537
philter25
Rep
Drives: Lookin to buy!

Hey,

I had a question about options.... I posted it in another thread but it would be greatly appreciated if a dealer could chime in.

I test drove a 135i coupe and liked it, then we took a 135 convertible for a spin and my wife noticed that there were power seat buttons on the top of the seat to move it back and forth, which she really liked because it made easier access to the back seat.

Ive heard mixed answers..... are these part of the premium package only, or can I get them with just the power doors with memory option? Also, is this a convertible option only, or can I get it on the coupe?

I asked my local dealer and he said he wasnt 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #538
Yablonski135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 CSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
As far as I know, yes. I believe we did one not long ago
That would be awesome if you really did. See this topic for the response I finally received from BMW.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256800
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #539
eightcount
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dave,

I've read through a good junk of this forum, thanks for the great info.

I'm wondering if there is a way to verify the MACO fee, whether or not there should be one and how much, the dealership adds to the price of a car?

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #540
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightcount View Post
Dave,

I've read through a good junk of this forum, thanks for the great info.

I'm wondering if there is a way to verify the MACO fee, whether or not there should be one and how much, the dealership adds to the price of a car?

thanks,
Maco fees are real, but it depends on regions & sometime specific dealers who have them. Basically it is a CO-OP'd advertising fee. Dealers who agree to be part of it (through BMWNA) will have the appropriate fee placed on the invoice of all cars coming to their center (by BMWNA). Typically the fee is $250, I've seen $350/$450 though, again, depending on region. The only real way to see exactly what their maco fee is is to ask them to show you a copy of an actual invoice (from BMWNA) from a car in their general inventory. It will be pretty clearly listed on the wholesale side.

So, yes 2 different dealers could have a $250 difference in their invoices. Neither is wrong, just the way it is.

That said, if you are doing ED, there is no maco (nor training). If you are only doing PCD, those fees will apply.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #541
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
Maco fees are real, but it depends on regions & sometime specific dealers who have them. Basically it is a CO-OP'd advertising fee. Dealers who agree to be part of it (through BMWNA) will have the appropriate fee placed on the invoice of all cars coming to their center (by BMWNA). Typically the fee is $250, I've seen $350/$450 though, again, depending on region. The only real way to see exactly what their maco fee is is to ask them to show you a copy of an actual invoice (from BMWNA) from a car in their general inventory. It will be pretty clearly listed on the wholesale side.

So, yes 2 different dealers could have a $250 difference in their invoices. Neither is wrong, just the way it is.

That said, if you are doing ED, there is no maco (nor training). If you are only doing PCD, those fees will apply.
Good thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I have some questions if you would help.
I'm ordering my 135i tomorrow, hopefully.
The deal is an acceptable one.
The dealer is willing to do $500 over BMWNA invoice.
He says that his MACO/ad/setup, etc... is about $430
So, basically it's edmunds listed invoice + $430, then $500 over that.
I think it's a decent deal.
However, I still think that in this market I should be able to do better.
Another dealer is offering $100 less, but that's nothing, and he's not a local dealer. Not worth it.
The 1 has been out now for a while, so deals are out there.
How doable is actual invoice for the 135i?
Even though we worked pricing over the internet, I'm going to go in tomorrow and offer a price, which will be what BMW invoice should be.
I don't want to discuss $500 over, under, invoice, etc...
I just want to offer a price and tell them that if they will accept it, then let's do an order and deposit.

I don't want to nickle and dime my local dealer, but in 2003 I bought a 325i. I initially bought/ordered it from them, but due to their lack of action, the dealer trade fell through. I had given them a $2000 deposit, which they cased the very next day. I waited over a week to get verification that the dealer trade was complete. Every time I called the sales guy blamed the manager and they never answered me. Finally, I went back in to the dealer and demanded to know what was going on.
Finally, after people talking to people around the place, I was told that the dealer who had ordered the car didn't want to give it to my local dealership. The reason? I was told by one of the managers was because the east coast dealer didn't like my dealers owner. So, I couldn't get the car because of PERSONAL issues between the 2 owners.
They held this information from me and strung me along for nearly 2 weeks.
When I finally said, "now what?", they didn't seem to care really. I asked for my deposit back, and I was told that they would have to issue me a check that they HAD TO mail to me and it would take a week to 10 days.
They had my money for month.
Luckily, a dealer farther away in Chicago contacted me and asked if I was in the market. I said, yes, and I explained what happened. He went to work and said he'd call me back quickly. He calls back and tells me he can get the very car I was supposed to get, same VIN number. All he needed was a deposit and then he would secure the car. I gave him my credit card number over the phone and 20 minutes later he calls and verifies that may car will be sent from the NJ port, no added expense as it was a port vehicle.

So, after screwing me out of buying locally from them, I took my 325i to them for service. So, they were making money from doing all the service.
The thing that irritated me was that all the times I went in for service they NEVER offered or gave me a loaner even though I asked. I was told that the loaners were for purchase customers only. I reminded the SA that I DID want to buy my BMW from them, and I even put down a hefty $2000 deposit. But, the deal fell through due to NO fault on my part. Still, they never offered a loaner, ever. I even spoke with the sales manager and general manager and I explained that I wasn't happy about not getting a loaner car because they know what happened. I also reminded them that as a lease customer I will be back in the market in 2-3 yrs. Still, they didn't give me any loaners. Thinking about it now, I think I remember the sales or general manager saying that he would "take care" of me when it was time to do another purchase. Well, that time is now and that's why I feel that I should get invoice.

What do you think?

Also, I want crimson red with terra interior.
Can I get brushed aluminum for inside trim? Is it offered in the 1 series?
It's the trim offered in the 3 series.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #542
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

dbtheo:

Document fee - legit or or shadowy addon to increase profit?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #543
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I feel that I should get invoice.

What do you think?
Short of some really bad mix up or issue with a customer or a pricing mistake was made on our part, we have no real reason or incentive to a take an invoice deal. If you are buying from the original dealer, I can kind of see your point. If you are buying from a different dealer then I do not.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #544
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajumepke View Post
dbtheo:

Document fee - legit or or shadowy addon to increase profit?

can be a little bit of both.

True: there are fees associated with filing paperwork etc & the doc fee helps to leverage that cost

It's the one's where the doc fee's charged are just too high that I would watch. For example if one dealer charges $250, but the next charges $400....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #545
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

dbtheo-

Kudos for keeping up with this thread, great job. I know this is bit of an unknown, but I was wondering if you had any idea what BMW is going to do with their interest rates come June or July. Specifically I am interested about the 135i. I know they are already down to 1.9%. Thoughts on them moving it to 0.9% come June or July? Really just curious as to your thoughts, I know there is no definitive way of knowing. Thanks in advance.

-adk749
2009 135i Coupe, 6 Speed MT, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leatherette, High Gloss Black Trim, Sports Package, BMW Assist, iPod/USB Adapter, Heated Seats | Ordered: 5/18/09 Completed: 6/2/09 Shipped: 6/11/09 Delivered: 7/2/09
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #546
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
dbtheo-

Kudos for keeping up with this thread, great job. I know this is bit of an unknown, but I was wondering if you had any idea what BMW is going to do with their interest rates come June or July. Specifically I am interested about the 135i. I know they are already down to 1.9%. Thoughts on them moving it to 0.9% come June or July? Really just curious as to your thoughts, I know there is no definitive way of knowing. Thanks in advance.

-adk749
well, my gut says that the 1.9% will stay, I personally don't think they'll do the 0.9%. I do think the lease options will improve though...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #547
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

db,
Thanks for providing a great service to the members here. I hope it generates some biz for you...you deserve it

I've been kind of waiting for the best moment to lease a new 135i...it seems like the recent lease programs have not been as strong as they have been in the past few years....I hope they improve this summer.

Here's my question: When are new lease terms, incentives, etc. usually announced? First day of each month?

And, is there a good, quick place to find that info online when it is announced?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #548
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Branching off of the last question, once a good month of lease rates come by, how long are you locked in once you order? i.e. if you order in June and the delivery is scheduled in August, do you still get the June rates upon delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #549
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Branching off of the last question, once a good month of lease rates come by, how long are you locked in once you order? i.e. if you order in June and the delivery is scheduled in August, do you still get the June rates upon delivery?
From a number of BMW dealers, your credit app is good for 90 days, and so is the lease rate at the time of order. When your car comes in, if the rates are better you can switch. If they are worse you stay with the rate you had at order. It's really cool that BMW do this. Audi wont' do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #550
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
From a number of BMW dealers, your credit app is good for 90 days, and so is the lease rate at the time of order. When your car comes in, if the rates are better you can switch. If they are worse you stay with the rate you had at order. It's really cool that BMW do this. Audi wont' do it.
Good to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0