BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
gors32
Rep
Drives: 116i

E87 engine swap

Hi, I am planning to swap my E87 116i to S65 engine. I saw E82 conversion on this forum but i could't get much information from him. I would like to know how will work interior dash (would like to update to M3 one if possible, because I also read that M3 dash can be recoded to any engine, but what if I put s65 into 116 chassis??), what about DTC, ABS, and other ancillaries like power windows, Air con (I have manual one installed), radio etc?? will that work if I only order plug&play kit from KMS electronic or such similar standalone ECU? I know that engine fits right in, tranny too, but differential must be from M3. Does it fit to e87 116 subframe mounts?, or should I buy whole rear subframe with diff, sway bar, sway links and other stuff?? Probably drive shaft will be custom work right? because m3 is longer car,so original one will not fit, especially if diff is not from m3 because joint is different on M3 diffs than on other diffs..
Fuel pump must be transplated also, but with its own computer that is in the right side of trunk.
Anything else to worry about? I know that engine will fit in with no problem and that anything else will be custom work to fit (AC pipes, water pipes, radiator, tanks, exhaust etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
gors32
Rep
Drives: 116i

Nobody knows?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
kennman
Rep
Drives: 120d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gors32 View Post
Hi, I am planning to swap my E87 116i to S65 engine. I saw E82 conversion on this forum but i could't get much information from him. I would like to know how will work interior dash (would like to update to M3 one if possible, because I also read that M3 dash can be recoded to any engine, but what if I put s65 into 116 chassis??), what about DTC, ABS, and other ancillaries like power windows, Air con (I have manual one installed), radio etc?? will that work if I only order plug&play kit from KMS electronic or such similar standalone ECU? I know that engine fits right in, tranny too, but differential must be from M3. Does it fit to e87 116 subframe mounts?, or should I buy whole rear subframe with diff, sway bar, sway links and other stuff?? Probably drive shaft will be custom work right? because m3 is longer car,so original one will not fit, especially if diff is not from m3 because joint is different on M3 diffs than on other diffs..
Fuel pump must be transplated also, but with its own computer that is in the right side of trunk.
Anything else to worry about? I know that engine will fit in with no problem and that anything else will be custom work to fit (AC pipes, water pipes, radiator, tanks, exhaust etc).
bok Gors! Ako zelis, daj mi mail, da podiskutiramo o swapu. Pozdrav
Igor iz Slovenije
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

Go to one of the coding websites, not much of that here.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gors32
Nobody knows?
A lot is bolt up but it isn't a simple swap.

I have a swap en route and will be tackling this over the next few months. I will post my part numbers and findings once everything starts.

To answer a few or your questions:

-We are using an m3 gauge cluster w/ m3 dme

-we are using an m3 rear subframe and diff with a custom driveshaft

- AC will work with modifying the m3 ac condensor

- we are doing a 6 speed swap as it is simpler electronically than adding a DCT
Appreciate 0