BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Sven_Mueller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Firecracker bang and the radio turns off

Hi,

even though everywhere is written that you need an Y- cable for listening to anything else than MP4 files on the Iphone 4 it somehow works without. I have the stock BMW Radio with USB and Bluetooth, connect my phone via USB cable to the car and it plays my car talk episodes and other stuff + Pandora. I can make calls via Bluetooth and after the call is finished it goes back to play Pandora. Then a loud bang and the Radio is off, it turns back on -Pandora plays for 5 seconds- bang off and so on.....
If I unplug the phone, start Pandora and then connect to the USB cable everything is fine again.
Does anybody share the same issues? Can this be fixed (without the Y cable?).
Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rick369
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Sven,
Did you ever receive any responses to your question?

I purchased a Rockfish USB cable for the IPhone, IPod or IPad. i connected it to my IPhone 4s and into the USB connection in my 2011 128i convertible. I am mainly using it to play Pandora through the BMW hi-fi stero. Everything was working great for a day or two. IPod icon shows up in the audio screen, there is great cd quality sound and song information was being displayed on the radio screen. One evening while I was driving later at night I hear a loud popping sound coming from the radio speakers. I look at the radio display and it goes blank and no sound, shortly after that there was a second loud popping sound and the radio comes back on and Pandora starts playing again. When Pandora starts playing again there is a completely different station playing. I was listing to a soft rock station before the popping sounds and when Pandora came back on it was a country music station. I am wondering if Pandora was having transmission problems and did a reset or was it my radio.

I do have the BMW y-cable but it is so short. Recently when using the y-cable, the radio was not displaying the IPod icon when hitting the Audio button. The Aux and USB icons show. The y-cable is 3 years old and don't know if there is a loose wire or connection in it.
Appreciate 0