BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

Bluetooth Streaming Audio

I've got this sinking feeling that I'm about to be really disappointed. I've used bluetooth streaming audio for years. I delight in it. I listen to tons of podcasts and enjoy how they just pick back up from where I was, no plugging anything in, no running through menus... in my truck I just turned the car on and in a few seconds it kept going from where I left off.

So naturally I select BMWAssist w/Enhanced Bluetooth for my new car, which I picked up yesterday; a 2013 BMW 135i. But here's the kicker... I do NOT have iDrive. And I cannot figure out (even after a good long search here on the internets) how to get it to stream audio. I've read on some other models of BMW that streaming doesnt work without iDrive. Is that the story with my car as well? Did I just waste the $650 on this option? And have I been lied to (inadvertently or not) by my sales associate who assured me I would have BT streaming audio? I'm taking it back tomorrow for another reason, so I'd like to be armed with data before I see them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Just bought off of ebay a bluetooth usb adapter for $7.50 (shipping included). Dont know how good the headunit in the 2013 works but I had only BT for calls.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
I've got this sinking feeling that I'm about to be really disappointed. I've used bluetooth streaming audio for years. I delight in it. I listen to tons of podcasts and enjoy how they just pick back up from where I was, no plugging anything in, no running through menus... in my truck I just turned the car on and in a few seconds it kept going from where I left off.

So naturally I select BMWAssist w/Enhanced Bluetooth for my new car, which I picked up yesterday; a 2013 BMW 135i. But here's the kicker... I do NOT have iDrive. And I cannot figure out (even after a good long search here on the internets) how to get it to stream audio. I've read on some other models of BMW that streaming doesnt work without iDrive. Is that the story with my car as well? Did I just waste the $650 on this option? And have I been lied to (inadvertently or not) by my sales associate who assured me I would have BT streaming audio? I'm taking it back tomorrow for another reason, so I'd like to be armed with data before I see them.
first of all----HOW DARE you ask a question like this WITHOUT posting photos of your new ride!??!?? come on then!

you cannot stream Bluetooth without the iDrive interface. HOWEVER there are some very easy solutions to installing little devices into the USB drive to create audio streaming. I had researched this issue but in the end had decided to just get the Nav system anyways, because my wife wanted it. I think the USB devices work very well though---so look into those options!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well played. ;-)

So what recourse would you guys chase on this discrepancy? The majority of the conversations I had with my sales associate revolved around 1) not wanting the iDrive and 2) wanting streaming bluetooth. I swear we discussed this 6 times about the different models, including a number of times about the 1 series. I feel like I paid $650 for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Just get a little bluetooth adapter. There's tons of them out there which support A2DP (the streaming protocol you need) and are small enough to plug into the little usb and aux plug underneath the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I am very interested in getting my 2011 to do this as well. Any way anyone can post a link to one of those adapters? Im very curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Well played. ;-)

So what recourse would you guys chase on this discrepancy? The majority of the conversations I had with my sales associate revolved around 1) not wanting the iDrive and 2) wanting streaming bluetooth. I swear we discussed this 6 times about the different models, including a number of times about the 1 series. I feel like I paid $650 for nothing.
wow man the car looks great! congratulations again! must be exciting!

i don't think there's any recourse here. the bluetooth is still great for phone calls, etc....at best maybe your sales agent can give you some free mats or accessories or something.....but i wouldn't hold your breath as it's 'only' a $600 option...BUT worth mentioning to him to see what he says i think! Sales agents are always spewing nonsense aren't they!

i've read good things about this. just stick this under the dash or something?
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-ACC...+music+gateway
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know there are some solutions to get the bluetooth streaming, I'm more frustrated with the sales associates lack of insight into my issue. I don't expect much (upgrading me to a 435i at no cost to me seems right, yeah?), but I'm irritated.

I've actually a long history in aftermarket car audio stuff, and I would have never spent that kind of money on the bluetooth if not for the integration of the factory radio that makes changing it out a bit of an interface issue. Now I may change my mind, though. I'm also looking at sticking a viper remote start on the car, though that is going to be even more of an issue (some of the xpresskit interface stuff is not yet available, though I spoke to them today and they are working on a kit for the european market and may have something after the first of the year).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Nice ride and color!

New to BMW.... Last month got me (my first bmw ever) a 2010 135i Convertible. Got the navigation system with Bluetooth and iDrive, so what you guys are saying is that you can play audio when iphone is paired to the car? I been using the auxiliary cable. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post
Nice ride and color!

New to BMW.... Last month got me (my first bmw ever) a 2010 135i Convertible. Got the navigation system with Bluetooth and iDrive, so what you guys are saying is that you can play audio when iphone is paired to the car? I been using the auxiliary cable. Thanks,
If you have "enhanced bluetooth", an option that is currently tied to BMWAssist, then you should have bluetooth streaming audio options if you have iDrive. But you may not, as it does not come standard in all model years and may not have been an option in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
rrinorl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Space Grey

Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-...nivo+bluetooth

It allows you to stream bluetooth, starts with the car and you can change tracks by pushing the buttons on it instead of having to fumble in your pocket to change the track. You can also use it to pause tracks too. I have mine mounted the radio near the seat warmer buttons.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrinorl View Post
Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-...nivo+bluetooth

It allows you to stream bluetooth, starts with the car and you can change tracks by pushing the buttons on it instead of having to fumble in your pocket to change the track. You can also use it to pause tracks too. I have mine mounted the radio near the seat warmer buttons.
that looks pretty sweet- i could see placing it under or on the front of the armrest for easy button access. i think i'll order it and try it out. hopefully the audio quality is acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
rrinorl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Space Grey

The audio is great! It actually uses a newer Bluetooth audio standard. I've been very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A slick device, and I may consider it, but still somewhat bush league compared to what I was expecting. I prefer it to be seamless integration, and that would require wiring for power and mini-RCA at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
A slick device, and I may consider it, but still somewhat bush league compared to what I was expecting. I prefer it to be seamless integration, and that would require wiring for power and mini-RCA at a minimum.
Search ebay for: USB Bluetooth music adapter. Its a little USB stick with an Aux jack and short cable in it. You won't even notice it's there once you connect it. And it's just 1.plug in usb 2. plug in aux 3. pair 4. throw your cell/ipod somewhere else or keep in pocket. Works like a charm and for under $10.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Bluetoot...-/200829891428

Try that link, see if you like it. It works for me!

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-19-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's plug and play under the armrest for most trims. If not, you can always grab the module and plug that in. The wiring should be there. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135....0l/ES2207517/

If you want seamless integration, you should have opted for i-Drive. I understand the dealer told you otherwise, but your first mistake was trusting the dealer to know specific technical details.

IMO, it's always better to do your own research before committing to purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
It's plug and play under the armrest for most trims. If not, you can always grab the module and plug that in. The wiring should be there. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135....0l/ES2207517/

If you want seamless integration, you should have opted for i-Drive. I understand the dealer told you otherwise, but your first mistake was trusting the dealer to know specific technical details.

IMO, it's always better to do your own research before committing to purchasing.
Stupid question: if your car has bluetooth (no i-Drive) and you use this module for streaming audio, are your phone calls still going through the bluetooth connection of the car? In order words is your iphone linking calls through the car's bluetooth and audio to the adapter at the same time?
      09-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
Stupid question: if your car has bluetooth (no i-Drive) and you use this module for streaming audio, are your phone calls still going through the bluetooth connection of the car? In order words is your iphone linking calls through the car's bluetooth and audio to the adapter at the same time?
Yep, it'll work. Two different BT protocols.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
jm97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135 Coupe

Just ordered the Blackberry Music Gateway from Amazon. Will update the thread next week when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
jm97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135 Coupe

Installed my new Blackberry Music Gateway. Bought it from Amazon. Took 2 minutes to install. Works perfectly.

I can stream spotify and any other music source.

Very happy to have found this one.

Quality of the device is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
granracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata

Quote:
i think i'll order it and try it out. hopefully the audio quality is acceptable.
After you try it out, can you let us know what you think about it?
Appreciate 0