BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

licence plate reflective treatment?

Hey guys,

a friend who works at a shop with a guy who builds race cars says that they can coat my licence plate with a transparent product that will reflect off radar and photo flashes in a way that they won't be able to read the plate number.

Has anyone got any experience or information on this? Does it really work? Is it illegal? haha

I have got 2 tickets in the last 12 months... and people say that speed creeps up on you on this car, and I concur after test driving it.
so I am all for things that can help me with that stupid habit of going over the speed limit...

or help me with that habit of going over the stupid speed limit.

there, that sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I think Myth busters did something on this and found that nothing kept the camera from picking up your plate as far as coatings and coverings go...
As for radar... I don't think radar cares if your plate is coated in something or not... it bounces off the car as a whole not just the plate. Laser is aimed at the plate and headlights so it might do something in regard to that...

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
I think Myth busters did something on this and found that nothing kept the camera from picking up your plate as far as coatings and coverings go...
As for radar... I don't think radar cares if your plate is coated in something or not... it bounces off the car as a whole not just the plate. Laser is aimed at the plate and headlights so it might do something in regard to that...

Yep...I watched that mythbusters episode as well. They tried all the myths out there...none worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Radar reflects from your BMW's largest metal objects, your engine and radiator, not just the surface of your license plate.

Remove those, and you'll have a much smaller chance of getting a ticket....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
Charles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Mythbusters busted it... Nothing works
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Radar/Laser Jammer is the only thing that will work, but I'm sure it's illegal in Canada and every where else. However, those newer versions of those jammer is so small and undetectable, if you're desperate, you might wanna give it a try. But don't blame me if you get busted :P
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Cossac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
Hey guys,

a friend who works at a shop with a guy who builds race cars says that they can coat my licence plate with a transparent product that will reflect off radar and photo flashes in a way that they won't be able to read the plate number.

Has anyone got any experience or information on this? Does it really work? Is it illegal? haha

I have got 2 tickets in the last 12 months... and people say that speed creeps up on you on this car, and I concur after test driving it.
so I am all for things that can help me with that stupid habit of going over the speed limit...

or help me with that habit of going over the stupid speed limit.

there, that sounds better.

I am using a Calibre K40 Radar detector with laser defuser on my MazdaSpeed3. I belive that Alberta is the only Province in Canada where radar detectors are legal.
PM me if you want to see my set up. I am in Edmonton.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
There is nothing you can do short of actually covering your plates that will legitimately keep cameras from seeing them. Mythbusters busted it, like others have said.

As for Radar/Laser...

I would be hesitant to use the aforementioned Laser detector/defuser as any cop that's at all quick on the uptake will not only see weird things happen on his detector, but visually see the sensor on the front of your car if he happens to pull you over. They will probably work, though, and work well. Hopefully the cop will pull over the sucker behind you that doesnt have it.

As far as I know there really isn't any coating you can put on anything to defeat radar, you have to get a jammer. Unless, of course, you want to build your entire car's body out of some radar absorbing material, which would be expensive, heavy, ugly and extremely difficult to paint

Radar detectors have come a long way in recent years and I am hearing good things, however I kinda feel it comes under the "dull knife" theory. That is, you will cut yourself on a dull knife more often than a sharp because you aren't expecting it to cut you as easily.

Just my 2c.
Appreciate 0