BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

We are NO LONGER the ENTRY level

0 Series on the way..

Is this old news that I have missed somewhere??

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...1113-ieg9.html
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
read about this somewhere a little while ago, said they will be targeting the likes of the vw golf.
but i struggle to imagine what they will do size wise with the car?? ie roughly the same as the 1 hatch? or a bit smaller or a bit larger/???
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
E86M.au
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

1ers still remain entry level RWD... ... n I'm still entry level ///M

read: best bang for buck IMO...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
I still think the 1'ers are the best value BMW period. Some work collegues i know just bought two matching 335i's, one coupe, one vert. Aside from the hard top vert i see no real reason to get a 3 series at all in coupe format. Whilst they are a little larger overall it does't equate to a larger interior esp in the real. Both are still 2+2, same engine, and tbqh do we really need all the bullshit put into cars for "comfort & convenience" these days ?

Adaptive headlights, retracting mirrors, anti-dazzle automatic rear mirror, heated seats, comfort access it's all really just stuff that is barely used and things you can definately live without. also even navigation/idrive is a rippoff at close to $5,000 for the top system. Get a navman/garmin imho.

As long as a car has electric seats, automatic headlights, air con 4 wheel and a stearing wheel i am stoked. throw in a top of the range engine into the cheapest car they make and it is a recipe for perfection in my mind.

Gotta say that my little pos Jag has no roof, seatbelts, radio, door handles, door locks, glove box, mirrors, rear seats, windows, heater, air conditioning ....... in essence it is rolling chassis with a seat and steering wheel. it is however the most amazing thing to drive and makes the journey more important then then destination.

Love the 1'er, it'll be a classic one day and i'll be happy having it in my garage with the jag.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH1983 View Post
...Adaptive headlights, ... , anti-dazzle automatic rear mirror, ... , comfort access it's all really just stuff that is barely used and things you can definately live without.
Gotta disagree with the above, once you've had 'em, you don't want to consider doing without.

Quote:
also even navigation/idrive is a rippoff at close to $5,000 for the top system. Get a navman/garmin imho.
And I have to agree with that one. The iPod interface is worth it, as is (kinda) the phone, but it's so far behind the competition it's not funny. For ***'s sake, I'd PAY if they upgraded it.

Simon....
      11-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Gotta disagree with the above, once you've had 'em, you don't want to consider doing without.

I disagree, I recently picked up a 135i, and turned in a 328i coupe.

I just went with leather, bluetooth, msport and step.

Compared to the e92, I no longer have dimming mirrors, folding mirrors, heated seats, power seats, puddle lights, ambiance lighting, compass and an illuminated mirror on my visor.

To me, these were cool to have, but were not what made me want another BMW. I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. The first time around, I got most of the options because I didn't want to wonder if I should have gotten them.

When I ordered the new car, I cut alot of the extras out, knowing I rarely used or valued them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
whenever my 1'er is in the BMW service garage i get a loaner 3 series. So far i have lost the keys whilst driving and been unable to find them thanks to the comfort access and taking a rather fast corner lol.

The navigation is over complicated and frustrating, the onboard music hard drive is inconvenient since you have to load all your cd's onto your car and i am not sure if you can change the settings for the format. Heated seats in Australia is pointless since we dont get THAT cold down here and my folks have never used them once on their CLK55.

The headlights are shit on the 1 series in a straight line, so i really doubt the adaptive headlights would be that much of a bonus.

Point is that whilst some of these options might be interesting items to have, they aren't really necessary in order to make a car fantastic and fun to drive. The sheer cost of them makes it far better in valvue to simply forsake them and get a higher model. I remember being told stories of a 60 year old couple going into buy a 125i with all these options when the 65 year old woman said to her husband that they should just get the 135i since it came with them all standard and cost approximately the same.

I could 110% live without any option for the 135i. I have the sunroof, metallic paint and auto, however all i really liked was the paint. I dont use the sunroof, and would most likely be happier with a manual (although it makes driving quite relaxing in traffic) and there is nothing i wish i got on my car, which is lucky since it was an ex demo

Give me a stripped out 135i over a fully optioned 3,5,7 series anyday.
Speed, value, excitement.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
w
Point is that whilst some of these options might be interesting items to have, they aren't really necessary in order to make a car fantastic and fun to drive. The sheer cost of them makes it far better in valvue to simply forsake them and get a higher model. I remember being told stories of a 60 year old couple going into buy a 125i with all these options when the 65 year old woman said to her husband that they should just get the 135i since it came with them all standard and cost approximately the same.
That would have been me that told you Heard it from another forum member, perhaps Breville.

Completely agree with everything you said. My car my options are simply M kit and the sunroof. Splat, nothing else. 2 options. The sunroof was an extravagance, but i was not forgoing the M kit. No way.

I would also take a completely stripped 135 over anything else any day. Just for the pure driving pleasure (BMW Marketing Machine influence!).
Appreciate 0