BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Bi Xenon retrofit

Hi there, can anyone tell me if these kits will go straight into a car without Bi-Xenons fitted from factory?

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E8...t_xenon_light/

Regards
Jamie
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Only in conjunction with Head lamp cleaning device Bi-xenon headlight, left Bi-xenon headlight, right Control element light Footwell module 2
VERY expensive exercise I suspect. I can't see it being under a couple of thousand $$ all up.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Mate, this has been discussed at length in the forums. I think the final conclusion was that it was a tres expensive exercise. The lights themselves are one thing but you've got to get suspension self-levelers and headlight washers to bring it up to code.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Mate, this has been discussed at length in the forums. I think the final conclusion was that it was a tres expensive exercise. The lights themselves are one thing but you've got to get suspension self-levelers and headlight washers to bring it up to code.

Ok Thanks, I did look around but didnt seem to find anything. I may opt for a HID kit then. Supposedly not egal but never have i seen someone fined if they are set low enough.Are the washers neccessary? for function, as in, if the lens becomes dirty and the heat from the globe is inflicted upon it will it affect the lens cover?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Afaik, washers arent necessary for HID kits. The temperature isn't enough for the lens to permanently ingrain dirt.

Let me know how you go with your search for an HID kit. I don't like the light from the non AEs and would upgrade however not straight away.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Afaik, washers arent necessary for HID kits. The temperature isn't enough for the lens to permanently ingrain dirt.
it's nothing to do with the temperature, it's to do with the brighter light being scattered by the dirt on the lens. The washers are required under the ADR's, as is self-levelling.

good (if somewhat wordy) summary here:
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...&#entry1000311

I'm yet to see a well done retrofit into halogen lights - some of them are downright dangerous. Just aiming the lights lower is no solution to avoiding dazzling other drivers, all that does is make the area immediately in front of the car much brighter, reducing your distance vision (just like using foglights as supplemental lights in clear conditions).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

As MickyD said, nothing to with baked on dirt - ADR does not care about how good the car looks - but entirely to with scattering of beam blinding everyone and their dog.

You can definitely look at getting a HID kit a lot of cars run them and seem to be okay. As long as you know what your doing and you point them the right way and don't go too bright you should be okay. Just remember that if you do blind a cop, he will screw you!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

Im suprised these are equiped for the purpose of preventing light scatter. We all know there are peole out there that would never use them (lazy and or dont care).If it is a requirement that you have clean lenses to not scatter light,then it follows logic that it is a now then a legal requirement to keep your lights clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
I'm yet to see a well done retrofit into halogen lights - some of them are downright dangerous. Just aiming the lights lower is no solution to avoiding dazzling other drivers, all that does is make the area immediately in front of the car much brighter, reducing your distance vision (just like using foglights as supplemental lights in clear conditions).
I've fitted a few and its pretty much proportional to the vertical measurement from the bulb to the pavement. For obvious reasons, a 4wd would be horrible, motorists would have the headlights at their seated eye level...I've found in lower cars though, an optimum height can be found, and they throw so much more light than a standard bulb. Hence even though they may be lower than usual,they still seem throw enough light ahead.....especially a 4600-6K kit.

Last edited by One_M; 04-08-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
Im suprised these are equiped for the purpose of preventing light scatter. We all know there are peole out there that would never use them (lazy and or dont care).If it is a requirement that you have clean lenses to not scatter light,then it follows logic that it is a now then a legal requirement to keep your lights clean!

The highlight washer automatically activates when you have your lights on and you use your windscreen washer. People tend to wash their windscreens when they can't see. This cleans their lights too.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
The highlight washer automatically activates when you have your lights on and you use your windscreen washer. People tend to wash their windscreens when they can't see. This cleans their lights too.
Solves that then!

My mate has a 34 GTR, I was cleaning the headlight lenses with him tonight and noticed that it has Xenon lights..no projector bulb though, which means you can see the globe if you look at it (from certain angles). Supplementary to this, there are no washers, and doesnt appear to be auto levelling.The car is allowed them though, Could this be simply due to its build date?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
Solves that then!

My mate has a 34 GTR, I was cleaning the headlight lenses with him tonight and noticed that it has Xenon lights..no projector bulb though, which means you can see the globe if you look at it (from certain angles). Supplementary to this, there are no washers, and doesnt appear to be auto levelling.The car is allowed them though, Could this be simply due to its build date?
Did R34s come stock with HIDs? If it's aftermarket he could've simply ignored the relevant ADRs, or if his car is a grey import then it never had to satisfy them.

Projectors aren't required, only some sort of device that doesn't throw light like a halogen reflector. Volvos come with HIDs and not projectors but they have this weird plastic gizmo in front of the bulb.

Back to your original question of installing some HIDs, I really don't think it would matter if you don't have auto-levelers or washers. Get yourself some Depo aftermarket headlights for the 1er which comes with a projector and angel eyes and you should be set. It's a BMW, cops are gonna think it's stock anyway.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

Xenon's don't have to be projectors, the factory Xenons in first gen pre facelift MINI's were reflectors, same with early Lexus GS300's and various other cars. Factory Xenon's from Japan seem to have different rules applied (JDR's?? ), but I still thought grey imports would have to comply with ADR's (of course all grey importers are completely honest and would never do anything that wasn't 100% by the book. ahem.)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #13
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

Yeah thats a good point, I beleive its a grey import, however, Im not sure on their design reg's and also when its imported. There is no projector though, just a plastic shroud type thing that sits in front of the globe similar to what my 1 has...

Is this the light kit you refer too?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439995
Appreciate 0