BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #45
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I have the pro version.
      04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #46
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i finally loaded harry's with the emprum gps last night. annoyingly, it took about 30 minutes for it to find all the satellites in the sky, but once it did, it loaded and locked promptly each time i restarted it.

regarding the RAM mount, i'm a little less than thrilled with where i can put it. in the center of the windshield, even as low as it can go, it's still too obtrusive. to the left of the steering wheel, just next to the a-pillar seems to be better visually, but then the coily power cable has to drape over the steering column to get to the cigarette lighter, which is also a little annoying. The position to the left of the steering wheel also ruins any chance of getting clear video, as it's too tight in there and the video lense is obstructed by the mount. this isnt an issue, since i'm using a gopro and harry's only for timing. where have you guys been mounting yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #47
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i finally loaded harry's with the emprum gps last night. annoyingly, it took about 30 minutes for it to find all the satellites in the sky, but once it did, it loaded and locked promptly each time i restarted it.

regarding the RAM mount, i'm a little less than thrilled with where i can put it. in the center of the windshield, even as low as it can go, it's still too obtrusive. to the left of the steering wheel, just next to the a-pillar seems to be better visually, but then the coily power cable has to drape over the steering column to get to the cigarette lighter, which is also a little annoying. The position to the left of the steering wheel also ruins any chance of getting clear video, as it's too tight in there and the video lense is obstructed by the mount. this isnt an issue, since i'm using a gopro and harry's only for timing. where have you guys been mounting yours?
I mount mine by the A pilar (Video) but I run the Emprum power cord with an extension under the steering column, through (inside) the cover above the pedals, through the middle column and into the cigarette lighter.. cable completely hidden, up until the end just sticking out to plug into USB.

After every track day, I just hide the slack inside the A pilar.
      04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #48
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

nice. the emprum cable reaches all the way through there to the ash tray? do you just use one of those stubby cigarette lighter adapters to plug the USB into in the ash tray?

are you recording with a gopro? i'll definitely have to pick your brain about video data overlay too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #49
5teN
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
Hi Yandyr,

Are you use the PLX Kiwi to get RPM, throttle & speed into harry's laptimer and ultimately your video?

Are there any other options?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #50
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have mine mounted in the middle of the windshield and have no issues with anything being in the say.

04-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
nice. the emprum cable reaches all the way through there to the ash tray? do you just use one of those stubby cigarette lighter adapters to plug the USB into in the ash tray?

are you recording with a gopro? i'll definitely have to pick your brain about video data overlay too.
The cable it comes with by itself does not reach, but I use one of THESE to extend the cable through. I use a pretty small two port Cigarette lighter USB adapter. They used to be stubby and large, but gotten way more compact.

Let me know if I can help with anything

Edit: Yea, I record with GoPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5teN View Post
Hi Yandyr,

Are you use the PLX Kiwi to get RPM, throttle & speed into harry's laptimer and ultimately your video?

Are there any other options?

Thanks
There are a couple other options I believe, but PLX Kiwi is well supported by Harry's developer; so yea that's what I use.
      05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #52
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

I had purchased a RaceChrono Touchscreen Pro for over $500. After fiddling with it a bit I concluded that along with being very expensive it was a bit fiddly and I'd spend more time fussing with it than it was worth. Then I found and downloaded Harry's Lap Timer Pro. Perfect, and returned the RaceChrono. I bought the Emprum GPS unit and mounted it all with a Radio Shack vent mount to keep it out of my sightline. It recorded thirty laps with one glitch three laps from the end where it seemed to drop the signal (showed a course with a shortcut of half a mile). I also ran a transponder and the times were all within a couple of hundredths. The charts make this a terrific diganostic tool. Very cool.
Attached Images

1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #53
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Harrys' Lap Timer on iPhone 4S. Mounted using GLIF+ and CruiseCam on the Passenger Seat Headreset. Passenger seat is pushed all the way back.

06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #54
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Interesting course there...surprised you're running with all the nannies on...doesn't look like you even pressed the DTC button once...what's with that?
      06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #55
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

It's called concrete walls everywhere. And I definately still consider myself a novice.
      06-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No probs with that but pressing it once won't take away nannies...just raises them a bit so they aren't quite as intrusive. Wasn't trying to sound condescending there or anything, was just curious. Never seen a course over laid on a drag strip, or with the cones layed out the way they are, like that either. Very different is all
      06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #57
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
No probs with that but pressing it once won't take away nannies...just raises them a bit so they aren't quite as intrusive. Wasn't trying to sound condescending there or anything, was just curious. Never seen a course over laid on a drag strip, or with the cones layed out the way they are, like that either. Very different is all
No, not at all. It was slightly wet with small puddles at odd places. Very light drizzle can be seen at the windshield at times through-out the day. I will definately try press once next time. I do usually turn everything off for AutoX tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Raceway_Park

The track is extremely small, as you can see. Probably smaller than Streets of Willow, or even the inner course of Auto Club Speedway (LA). But it's the closest to Vancouver, B.C. Luckily Harry's Lap Timer do have POI data for it. Otherwise one'd have to drive south to the one near Seattle (~3 hours drive), or the new one over at Shelton, WA (~close to 5 hours).
      06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #58
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Luckily Harry's Lap Timer do have POI data for it. Otherwise one'd have to drive south to the one near Seattle (~3 hours drive), or the new one over at Shelton, WA (~close to 5 hours).
I don't get it, if HLT didn't have POI for your track you would go to another track? you know you can create your own POI for any track. then you send it to Harry for authentication and he adds it to his list of tracks. nothing to it
      06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #59
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I don't get it, if HLT didn't have POI for your track you would go to another track? you know you can create your own POI for any track. then you send it to Harry for authentication and he adds it to his list of tracks. nothing to it
Bad paragraph structure on my part. Just saying the next closest track is quite far away across the border for us.

Never knew the procedure for track submission and authentication. Good tip. Thanks!

Another part that I can't figure out is how lap times can be authenticated and be submitted to the 'Hall of Fame' section for the track. I see times of other people, but mine doesn't get uploaded automatically..
      06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #60
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Bad paragraph structure on my part. Just saying the next closest track is quite far away across the border for us.

Never knew the procedure for track submission and authentication. Good tip. Thanks!

Another part that I can't figure out is how lap times can be authenticated and be submitted to the 'Hall of Fame' section for the track. I see times of other people, but mine doesn't get uploaded automatically..
I saw that too but the posted times were so out of whack that I lost interest. you can email Harry and ask him. he's really good at answering questions