BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #89
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer Don View Post
Oh next time you auto x spay down your pss with water after. 3rd run and every run after that. That's what I found success in keeping then from over heating at auto x
Spraying tires are a function of the pressures inside the tire and if they are increasing pressures and holding.

If they aren't then you'll still within optimal temperature.

Start your pressures and where you want them to end up hot.

For example, you'll start at 36 PSI cold if you want to end up at 36 hot.

Every run, check your pressures. They should be increasing 1-2 PSI each run. If you see anymore, you're overdriving the tire and/or the course is just eating up that tire.

In between every run you want to bleed your pressures back to your 36. So as the day progresses, you'll start to see your pressures not increasing as much inbetween runs. Once you run, and come back with 36 PSI, then that heat that was once going into the air is now going into the tire. Since the air can't expand anymore (and you're holding the pressures) then the tire will usually start to overheat. This is when you need to spray.

Starting with a pressure and constantly bleeding to maintain that will help you dial down consistent runs.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #90
bimmer Don
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i m sport

I say start you auto x run 1 psi lower then what you run hot so it by after the first couple turns you be at you right pressure
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #91
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Quote:
I say start you auto x run 1 psi lower then what you run hot so it by after the first couple turns you be at you right pressure
Do you fill your tires with nitrogen? Your tires will raise as much as 8-10 psi cold to hot when filled with air.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #92
bimmer Don
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i m sport

Yes but you bleed off After every run on auto x. By the 3 run the pressure don't really raise anymore. If you start you pressures In auto x 8-10 psi lower like you do at the track you will burn the edges off on the first run. Your first run in auto x is pretty much a throw away run just to get heat in tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #93
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Quote:
Yes but you bleed off After every run on auto x. By the 3 run the pressure don't really raise anymore. If you start you pressures In auto x 8-10 psi lower like you do at the track you will burn the edges off on the first run. Your first run in auto x is pretty much a throw away run just to get heat in tires.
Ah I see what you're saying now. I just read it the first time as "set your cold pressures only one psi lower than you want your hot pressures to be because they will only rise 1psi cold to hot"
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #94
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMisencik157 View Post
Do you fill your tires with nitrogen? Your tires will raise as much as 8-10 psi cold to hot when filled with air.
Off topic: Air is 78% nitrogen so while this amount of variation may be true its not obvious how much less variation there would be with Nitrogen.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #95
diego1690
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hey people! I need some feedback from you since i saw the thread you commented about tires, pressure, michelin pss etc. I need to buy new tires ASAP this week. My front are done and I just finished them today attending my first autocross event. i plan to keep going every month from now on. Before I read these threads about autocross good tires, I had my mind up completely sure that I was going to buy the michelin pss (225/255) based on reviews of people of perf of these tires on the street (quiet,grip,etc) However now im doubting cause I read they dont handle that well for autocross (dont perform the best when pushed to limit, degrade fast when pushed,etc). Now I am going to continue doing autocross about 1 a month and I want good results, without degrading my tires a lot ( for saving money and dont having to spend so continously on tires). So based on what Ive read if I go for the pss, when i do autocross they are not gonna be the best in perf and gonna wear out fast. So what tire do you recommend me that is great for autocross performance, grip, durability, but that also handles well for daily driving on the street? Between the Dunlop's direzza sport z1 star spec, direzza z11or hankooks rs3's which wud be the ideal? all are bout the same price?

last but not least, what size do you recommend for handling well both on autocross and daily driving? Based on popularity I had in mind the 225/255 when i planned to buy the pss. Thanks!
Appreciate 0