BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
bandice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 130i

MMW N52 headers

I know i am too late but im really keen to get a set of these headers for my 130i!!
Would anyone be willing to sell me theirs
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
check e90post or email Gavin MMW he may have a set

Supersprint are the prefered headers though.. all videos show MMW being very loud

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post

Supersprint are the prefered headers though.. all videos show MMW being very loud
Yup.

Made in China, less power than Supersprint, drone, and fitment issues. Wouldn't(and wasn't) be my first choice.
      04-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post

Yup.

Made in China, less power than Supersprint, drone, and fitment issues. Wouldn't(and wasn't) be my first choice.
Made in china? Since when? They were made in shop last time i heard??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's worth the extra buck for SS. More power, perfect fitment-- I can't imagine going any other way.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Made in china? Since when? They were made in shop last time i heard??
Seen it referenced here and there in fitment issue threads when people needed multiple parts sent to them to get it right.

I just don't understand why you would want a worse product?
      04-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Seen it referenced here and there in fitment issue threads when people needed multiple parts sent to them to get it right.

I just don't understand why you would want a worse product?
well, it's half price

the actual performance can't really be much worse, they're good length, smooth bends and no cats, no cats being the important part

i don't understand why they stopped making them, they were selling out FAST.

they spent month smaking them to sell.. 10 or 20?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Supersprint from the factory aren't that bad of a price. People should price shop and decide on their desired budget

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, it's half price

the actual performance can't really be much worse, they're good length, smooth bends and no cats, no cats being the important part

i don't understand why they stopped making them, they were selling out FAST.

they spent month smaking them to sell.. 10 or 20?
Have you engineered headers before?
      04-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
bandice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 130i

does anyone know where to purchast some SuperSprint headers for the 130i, i have the RHD?
it may have to be an alternative if i cannot source any MMW,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandice View Post
does anyone know where to purchast some SuperSprint headers for the 130i, i have the RHD?
it may have to be an alternative if i cannot source any MMW,
As far as I know, no RHD headers exist.

Your choice is to go custom, contact Evolve (they may be wiling to work with Supersprint), contact user kbird(he had some RHD ones on sale or made LHD fit) or maybe even contact ARMAspeed( they are Taiwan based but they might have something)

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMWs

There just isn't the demand at the moment to create a RHD version of the headers unfortunately. Creating them the right way takes so much R&D that we have to make sure we can pre-sell quite a few units to justify. Your more than welcome to put something together if you know enough people?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Have you engineered headers before?
what do you mean?

N52 headers, you can basically do ANYTHING to them in addition to cutting out the cats, and get gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
There just isn't the demand at the moment to create a RHD version of the headers unfortunately. Creating them the right way takes so much R&D that we have to make sure we can pre-sell quite a few units to justify. Your more than welcome to put something together if you know enough people?
what makes it so much harder?

the only difference really is that there's a steering column to the side, as long as it hugs the engine in the same way the factory ones do it wouldn't fit poorly? the midpipe section onwards mounts to the same location...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what do you mean?

N52 headers, you can basically do ANYTHING to them in addition to cutting out the cats, and get gains.

You answered my question rather perfectly. There is a world of difference between getting gains and having a well engineering product.

You can get gains by deleting your airbox. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
      04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
what do you mean?

what makes it so much harder?

the only difference really is that there's a steering column to the side, as long as it hugs the engine in the same way the factory ones do it wouldn't fit poorly? the midpipe section onwards mounts to the same location...
Because SuperSprint makes the best or nothing. A compromised design to "get gains" is not what they do, and rerouting the pipe like that without testing/tweaking/testing/tweaking/repeat will compromise their performance.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Because SuperSprint makes the best or nothing. A compromised design to "get gains" is not what they do, and rerouting the pipe like that without testing/tweaking/testing/tweaking/repeat will compromise their performance.
re-routing? it should be roughly where it's routed in the first place? :/

all i know is the price of supersprint hardware is waaaaaaay too high for some bent metal tubing.. maybe if it was titanium... then it would be ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
re-routing? it should be roughly where it's routed in the first place? :/

all i know is the price of supersprint hardware is waaaaaaay too high for some bent metal tubing.. maybe if it was titanium... then it would be ok.
You would be amazed at how much investment goes into each piece.

From the development - Supersprint are one of the ONLY exhaust manufacturers to own their own dyno. A Maha dyno that they use to test each of their fabricated test pieces until they get the absolute maximum power from. This can mean numerous times putting the car up in the air, removing headers, making a new set, trying again with various lengths and sizing.

The welds are incredible and done by professionals with years of experience. The metal used isn't some cheap tat, its the best and all sourced within Europe.

The way the jigs are made can only come with years of experience. Getting them to be insanely accurate so that, even after a few years outside, you can hook it up and create a batch and they are in perfect alignment.

How about quality control - they have a strict quality control section that goes through so many (painful to see) pieces of finished product, just ripped apart and thrown away to ensure each one is perfect.

i'm sure you can buy cheaper and some people choose to and that is cool, but if you want high quality pieces on your BMW then these are the guys to use.

ETA: I republished a post that was removed, about our factory visit: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post13805338

I didn't really get the level of craftsmanship that goes into creating these pieces until you see it first hand. Now I'm completely converted!

Last edited by Paul@Evolve; 04-11-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You would be amazed at how much investment goes into each piece.

From the development - Supersprint are one of the ONLY exhaust manufacturers to own their own dyno. A Maha dyno that they use to test each of their fabricated test pieces until they get the absolute maximum power from. This can mean numerous times putting the car up in the air, removing headers, making a new set, trying again with various lengths and sizing.

The welds are incredible and done by professionals with years of experience. The metal used isn't some cheap tat, its the best and all sourced within Europe.

The way the jigs are made can only come with years of experience. Getting them to be insanely accurate so that, even after a few years outside, you can hook it up and create a batch and they are in perfect alignment.

How about quality control - they have a strict quality control section that goes through so many (painful to see) pieces of finished product, just ripped apart and thrown away to ensure each one is perfect.

i'm sure you can buy cheaper and some people choose to and that is cool, but if you want high quality pieces on your BMW then these are the guys to use.

ETA: I republished a post that was removed, about our factory visit: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post13805338

I didn't really get the level of craftsmanship that goes into creating these pieces until you see it first hand. Now I'm completely converted!
fair enough... just at that price you could get a reputable exhaust shop to make one up for less, ESPECIALLY their cat-back prices.. that's all i'm saying

i know their stuff is TOP.NOTCH. but 9/10 times to me, the only reason i'd spend more for an exhaust is because it sounds better (and that, realistically, is purely talking about mufflers)... if it sounds the same or worse than one i could get my local shop to make, i'll save 50% on it.

and in 90% of cases, if a shop can make a custom one for half that price with the same fitment and performance, a company that has the ability to mass-produce them without having to re-test (like you say, it's all done and re-done before).. that cost is pure brand-tax.

like the N54 world and downpipes... most (MOST) of the $300 DP's fit and perform pretty much as well as the $1500 akrapovic's.

Last edited by flinchy; 04-11-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
fair enough... just at that price you could get a reputable exhaust shop to make one up for less, ESPECIALLY their cat-back prices.. that's all i'm saying

i know their stuff is TOP.NOTCH. but 9/10 times to me, the only reason i'd spend more for an exhaust is because it sounds better (and that, realistically, is purely talking about mufflers)... if it sounds the same or worse than one i could get my local shop to make, i'll save 50% on it.

and in 90% of cases, if a shop can make a custom one for half that price with the same fitment and performance, a company that has the ability to mass-produce them without having to re-test (like you say, it's all done and re-done before).. that cost is pure brand-tax.

like the N54 world and downpipes... most (MOST) of the $300 DP's fit and perform pretty much as well as the $1500 akrapovic's.
Yep I guess your right. My point is mainly that its not a brand-tax with Supersprint - it takes lots of investment to build at this level and quality and if you check out the other marques they cover, the pricing is consistent.

Mufflers aren't made equal also - I've seen them inside out in pieces at the factory and the cheap Chinese materials (and at that price they have to originate somewhere like that) are just terrible - BUT if you aren't bothered about those things, and just want something to change the sound then yes, I see your point.

That being said - we didn't need to buy BMW - we could have gone Japanese and had more power, speed, toys etc but we buy for quality reasons and lots of our customers like the idea of top quality parts being put on their 'babies'.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep I guess your right. My point is mainly that its not a brand-tax with Supersprint - it takes lots of investment to build at this level and quality and if you check out the other marques they cover, the pricing is consistent.

Mufflers aren't made equal also - I've seen them inside out in pieces at the factory and the cheap Chinese materials (and at that price they have to originate somewhere like that) are just terrible - BUT if you aren't bothered about those things, and just want something to change the sound then yes, I see your point.

That being said - we didn't need to buy BMW - we could have gone Japanese and had more power, speed, toys etc but we buy for quality reasons and lots of our customers like the idea of top quality parts being put on their 'babies'.
fair enough.. if i could afford it i'd go akrapovic all the way when possible.. or kreissieg haha

i also mean for their midpipes, it's a damn-near straight piece of metal tubing, and the price they list is somewhat above-market.. sure their headers and mufflers could justify (i'm not a fan of their muffler sound personally) the high quality pricing.. but a piece of steel tubing identical to any other? ehhhhhh

though you CAN get custom mufflers made for a $300-$400 price tag.. the problem with off-the-shelf cheap mufflers, is what you said, cheap crappy chinese packing materials, poor sound, will die faster, poor quality all around. There's always got to be a balance.

i actually don't understand a lot of BMW owners... i mean, sure many of them buy second hand and fairly cheap.. but it's still crazy to cheap out on components. never downgrade -_-

cheap doesn't ALWAYS mean bad, just as expensive doesn't always mean better.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #21
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do any of you guys have experience with the headers f on AA? How are they compared to SS headers? Also, how much modifications need to be done to these headers to make them fit a Z4?
      05-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do any of you guys have experience with the headers f on AA? How are they compared to SS headers? Also, how much modifications need to be done to these headers to make them fit a Z4?
They're $600 or so cheaper (although AA includes a new hardware kit so the difference is even more), nobody can answer what it takes to make them fit on a Z4 because AA hasn't come out with Z4 headers yet. And if you're asking if anyone has taken 128i AA headers for a Z4 -- you would be the first.