BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

i'm looking forward to seeing the next F32 M3 more for curiosity than a replacement to the 1M as i think the new M3 won't be miracle in terms of size & weight .
a replacement for the 1M would be more the M2 than the next M3 ..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #46
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Reality check: don't you consider 340hp, 500Nm and ± 4.7sec for 0-62mph pretty decent motoring firepower for an IRL reliable daily driver car with four seats, sufficient storage space and hi-end modern technology (including safety nannies standing guard) ?

Actually, we're a pretty spoilt generation. Re the rat race of car-manufacturers (more hp, more torque, bigger, bolder, etc.): if we're honest we all know that, at some point, serious power unleashed on the rear wheels IRL conditions simply becomes too hot/hard to handle for many of us. Don't ask me to go winter drifting like André (AdVevo) because I'm bound to crash. Lack of superb driving skills, talent and guts. Driving courses help to improve skills, but it remains hard to improve talent.

The BMW M badge and bonanza of safety gizmos gives us the false cocooning impression of utmost safety - the idea of machine, metal, crumple zones, airbags and electronics correcting virtually all our pilot errors and keeping our physical integrity safe from harm. Though, simply hit your head against a tree or a wall merely at walking speed and you experience ex propriis sensibus what energy output and Newton's laws of motion are all about. Now what about "meeting" the same tree or wall at, say, 100mph: ± 9.8s to reach the speed from stationary and sometimes unfortunately only ± 1s to decelerate to 0mph.

I guess that for some of us it already takes some effort to get the significant other behind the wheel of the pocket-rocket 1M ("more [power] is less [driving confidence]" instead of "less is more").

For some enthusiasts it will be never enough, the yearning for even more impressive figures. We got to respect that. However, speaking for myself, the 1M is a fine motoring marvel striking the right balance for me in terms of power, comfort, looks, practicality and fitness for purpose. Driving joy ? It delivers. Future trade-up ? Rebus sic stantibus, only for the next best thing around.

Okay, now getting off my soapbox.
Oh Boy! A great summary and Latin too!:thumsup
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #47
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Reality check: don't you consider 340hp, 500Nm and ± 4.7sec for 0-62mph pretty decent motoring firepower for an IRL reliable daily driver car with four seats, sufficient storage space and hi-end modern technology (including safety nannies standing guard) ?

Actually, we're a pretty spoilt generation. Re the rat race of car-manufacturers (more hp, more torque, bigger, bolder, etc.): if we're honest we all know that, at some point, serious power unleashed on the rear wheels IRL conditions simply becomes too hot/hard to handle for many of us. Don't ask me to go winter drifting like André (AdVevo) because I'm bound to crash. Lack of superb driving skills, talent and guts. Driving courses help to improve skills, but it remains hard to improve talent.

The BMW M badge and bonanza of safety gizmos gives us the false cocooning impression of utmost safety - the idea of machine, metal, crumple zones, airbags and electronics correcting virtually all our pilot errors and keeping our physical integrity safe from harm. Though, simply hit your head against a tree or a wall merely at walking speed and you experience ex propriis sensibus what energy output and Newton's laws of motion are all about. Now what about "meeting" the same tree or wall at, say, 100mph: ± 9.8s to reach the speed from stationary and sometimes unfortunately only ± 1s to decelerate to 0mph.

I guess that for some of us it already takes some effort to get the significant other behind the wheel of the pocket-rocket 1M ("more [power] is less [driving confidence]" instead of "less is more").

For some enthusiasts it will be never enough, the yearning for even more impressive figures. We got to respect that. However, speaking for myself, the 1M is a fine motoring marvel striking the right balance for me in terms of power, comfort, looks, practicality and fitness for purpose. Driving joy ? It delivers. Future trade-up ? Rebus sic stantibus, only for the next best thing around.

Okay, now getting off my soapbox.
Top post Artemis. There are only two cars I am waiting with curiosity, the Alfa 4C and BMW M2. I doubt I will be willing to replace 1M anytime soon but these are making me wonder, not the next M3 because I just don't like big cars the same way I love smaller ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #48
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Top post Artemis. There are only two cars I am waiting with curiosity, the Alfa 4C and BMW M2. I doubt I will be willing to replace 1M anytime soon but these are making me wonder, not the next M3 because I just don't like big cars the same way I love smaller ones.
What about the Cayman S/R?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny911 View Post
What about the Cayman S/R?
The price makes the Cayman R not so competitive for me. It is a very good car but I would buy a Boxster Spyder instead last year (for me more interesting car than Cayman R) and for the years ahead we need to wait and see what Porsche will bring with the new generation, I didn't like the new Boxster getting an electric steering for a starter. As I said pricepoints are too different anyway and will likely remain so. I am hearing that they may develop something even smaller and cheaper with smaller engines, maybe that could be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #50
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
I am hearing that they may develop something even smaller and cheaper with smaller engines, maybe that could be interesting.
baby boxter is phased out . i too am looking forward to seeing the 4C , a kind of more affordable ( i hope so ) Elise .
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #51
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Quote:
The price makes the Cayman R not so competitive for me. It is a very good car but I would buy a Boxster Spyder instead last year (for me more interesting car than Cayman R) and for the years ahead we need to wait and see what Porsche will bring with the new generation, I didn't like the new Boxster getting an electric steering for a starter. As I said pricepoints are too different anyway and will likely remain so. I am hearing that they may develop something even smaller and cheaper with smaller engines, maybe that could be interesting.

How much is the 1M cheaper than the Cayman R in your country?

In HK, 1M is about 38% cheaper than the Cayman R,that's why I opted for the 1M first and plan to get an used 987 Cayman S/R after 981 launched. Yes, I prefer the 987 more at this moment, hope it would change after having a 981 testdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #52
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny911 View Post
How much is the 1M cheaper than the Cayman R in your country?

In HK, 1M is about 38% cheaper than the Cayman R,that's why I opted for the 1M first and plan to get an used 987 Cayman S/R after 981 launched. Yes, I prefer the 987 more at this moment, hope it would change after having a 981 testdrive.
In fact in Chile where I live since 8 months or so the price difference between 1M and Cayman R is not that much, around 80,000 USD for a well equipped 1M where a Cayman R starts at around 90,000. But I assume the Cayman has much less equipment for that base price and can easily get up to 100,000. As a diplomat I am subject to a different pricing, first of all not every car company make special diplomatic prices like Porsche or VW Group in general which made my 1M (if I remember correctly 39,000 EUR or a bit less was my 1M loaded with every possible factory option other than navigation and power seats) considerably cheaper than a similarly equipped and tax free Cayman R (was still more than 80,000 EUR for me). In Germany, where the prices are proportional to diplomatic prices of German cars you can buy exact equal of my 1M for a bit less than 59,000 EUR (tax included) but a similar Cayman R would cost more than 90,000 EUR.

The fact is I would not pay that much more for a Cayman R, diplomat or not. A very good car but at least in most markets it is overpriced like every other Porsche.
Appreciate 0