BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

What maintenance is left before I tune my car?

Hey guys just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I start modding. Here is a list of the maintenance I have done in the last 5k miles.

Waterpump
Thermostat (coolant flush while doing these)
Oil filter housing gasket
Oil change
Oil pan gasket
Brakes - new pads / rotors / fluid
Valve cover gasket

Next up on the list is a walnut blast is there anything else I'm missing before I start the mod bug?

Last edited by Cmoney135i; 08-10-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Blown95ImpalaSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: s54 e36 m3/4/5

how many miles on the car?

if you are on stock coils or the plugs haven't been changed in the last 15k miles I'd do those to avoid headaches since theyre relatively cheap and easy to DIY.

Chances are the increased boost via jb4, mhd or cobb will result in misfires if these are old/worn.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown95ImpalaSS View Post

if you are on stock coils or the plugs haven't been changed in the last 15k miles I'd do those to avoid headaches since theyre relatively cheap and easy to DIY.

Chances are the increased boost via jb4, mhd or cobb will result in misfires if these are old/worn.
Not sure when these were last replaced. Will add them to the list I just hit 70k driving to work today.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown95ImpalaSS View Post

Not sure when these were last replaced. Will add them to the list I just hit 70k driving to work today.
Don't forget about charge pipe as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Spark plugs
Coils
Injectors
Valve Cover / Gasket
Charge Pipe

Not all will be necessary on the above mention but they usually creep up on you once you start tuning.

At a minimum you'll need to change the plugs.

The coils and injectors can be handled on a case by case basis.

Valve cover gasket is commonly leaking by your mileage too.

Charge pipes are prone to failure as they age and boost is increased. Most wait for it to break which I don't recommend as you'll then be forced to pay more for expedited shipping and hope it's in stock when it fails. So it's cheaper in the long run to order it sooner then later, there is also less risk of downtime.
Appreciate 1
BQTuning468.50
      08-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Robbie135
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 SSII

I agree with the walnut blast and the charge pipe. I've personally had a boost leak out of my charge pipe under stock boost pressure. I would also still replace your plugs if you plan to use a tune. And if misfires happen after you replace the plugs then you'll have to look into replacing your coil packs as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Spark plugs
Coils
Injectors
Valve Cover / Gasket
Charge Pipe

Not all will be necessary on the above mention but they usually creep up on you once you start tuning.

At a minimum you'll need to change the plugs.

The coils and injectors can be handled on a case by case basis.

Valve cover gasket is commonly leaking by your mileage too.

Charge pipes are prone to failure as they age and boost is increased. Most wait for it to break which I don't recommend as you'll then be forced to pay more for expedited shipping and hope it's in stock when it fails. So it's cheaper in the long run to order it sooner then later, there is also less risk of downtime.
I forgot to say I have done the valve cover gasket. I planned on the charge pipe being a mod not really maintenance cause I want one with a BOV not really a fan of the stock sound.
Appreciate 0