BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a rebuild kit??
Yes! and I'd like to be in the initial group buy 22 40.74%
I am, but I'd like to know how they perform first 21 38.89%
Not right now, but I could be in the future 9 16.67%
No way jose! 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

08-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #89
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

So I got some goodies in the mail packaging was superb to say the least and personal attention to get these out to me by Warren and Alex was second to none! I should be getting these installed later today and have a review of how they perform on the track in about a week and a half.

08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #90
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got them rebuilt and back on. Few pics.

And here are the old ones after a year of some tracking.

08-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #91
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
those old pistons look pitiful! great job Chris! they look really nice. can't wait to hear your review.
      08-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #92
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know this much right off the bat, the new pistons are a bit heavier than the factory pistons. The stock piston are surprisingly light when they're compared.
      08-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #93
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

A little disappointed in this effort....

The brake brackets... I thought originally this is to allow us to leverage stock Porsche rear rotors, which might run at a better price as compared to RB 2 piece rotors, which runs around $1k a pair...

Then the pistons and seals... runs more than Turner's pistsons and seals.

Next time I need rotor and pads again, I'll stick with Dieselboot adapters. I actually got myself a pair of them. If anyone want to borrow them off me to make copies, let me know. 345mm x 28mm 2 piece directional vaned ZCP rotors at < $500 a pair is simply a steal!
      08-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #94
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
A little disappointed in this effort....

The brake brackets... I thought originally this is to allow us to leverage stock Porsche rear rotors, which might run at a better price as compared to RB 2 piece rotors, which runs around $1k a pair...

Then the pistons and seals... runs more than Turner's pistsons and seals.

Next time I need rotor and pads again, I'll stick with Dieselboot adapters. I actually got myself a pair of them. If anyone want to borrow them off me to make copies, let me know. 345mm x 28mm 2 piece directional vaned ZCP rotors at &lt; $500 a pair is simply a steal!
Interesting tidbit...turner and stop tech pistons are 32mm vs 30mm our stock ones are. You won't be able run a thicker rotor than the stock ones with new pads.
      08-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #95
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Interesting tidbit...turner and stop tech pistons are 32mm vs 30mm our stock ones are. You won't be able run a thicker rotor than the stock ones with new pads.
Good to know. Maybe I'll do the RB pistons and seals with Dieselboost after I kill my DS2500 and Powerslots.
      08-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #96
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I got some new goodies ALUMINUM brackets with the new 350mm rotors

08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #97
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Question is how much those rotors run, how much does replacement rings run... and perhaps non-RB rings (Porsche OEM...?) can fit over that 'hub'?
      08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #98
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
Question is how much those rotors run, how much does replacement rings run... and perhaps non-RB rings (Porsche OEM...?) can fit over that 'hub'?
For the pricing I'll refer you to the website. As far as using other rings with that hub I have no clue. It depends on the bolt pattern are for mounting. My guess they would be proprietary for each manufacturer.
      08-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #99
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
But isn't Groundpilot doing that? IIRC his setup has Stoptech pistons and RB rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #100
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Put the setup on today and so far I'm impressed. Figment is perfect and I'd say they line upon the pads better than the stocked sized rotors. Now some bad pics

08-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #101
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey's guys I posted up another post to do a review. I tossed up a quick bit till I have time to get up a full review. So far these things are worth every penny!!
      08-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #102
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
a cheaper bbk for 128i with this kit??

Hi guys, I've skimmed through the first 3pages and this has me excited

Can some one confirm my interpretation

The use of the caliper repair/rebuild kit will allow someone to use second hand 135i calipers, rebuild them and possibly create a bbk set up with larger rotors?

So the 128i stands to benefit, since I don think the rear brakes differ in size by much. Obviously there would be brake bias, but that can be adjusted by having the dealer flash for 128i BMP bbk, which uses 135i front brakes.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #103
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post

The use of the caliper repair/rebuild kit will allow someone to use second hand 135i calipers, rebuild them and possibly create a bbk set up with larger rotors?

So the 128i stands to benefit, since I don think the rear brakes differ in size by much. Obviously there would be brake bias, but that can be adjusted by having the dealer flash for 128i BMP bbk, which uses 135i front brakes.
135 rear brakes need something extra to fit on a 128, from memory it's hand brake cable or something? it's not super complex but it's not 100% direct bolt on and go.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #104
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post

In a sense yes. The rears though would be an issue for you. As the other poster said you might experience a bit more bias towards the front b/c of the smaller rear rotors on the 128...but that could be fixed with pad choices too.
      08-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #105
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's a review I posted in the other thread.

Just got home from 2 amazing days at VIR running the new brake hardware. So far I'm extremely happy as for the first time ever the front brakes ran consistently cooler than the rears!!!

First off the service, knowledge, and patience (from an anxious customer wanting new toys) exhibited by Warren and everybody else at RacingBrake has been second to none. They really are a top notch outfit wanting to find the best solution for us.

Now I've rebuilt my calipers in the past with stop-tech seals and they fared no better than the stock seals. After a single weekend the dust boots were melted to bacon bits. They really aren't designed to handle heat. After a year and half of tracking the car my pistons were beginning to crumble and I had no dust boots left, so it was time to either buy a bbk or find a solution using the stock brakes. Enter Warren and RacingBrake.

First thing you notice about the new pistons is their heft, especially compared to the factory "cerami-plastic" pistons. Its really is startling how light the factory ones are. Rebuilding the calipers is a fairly straight forward process and there are tons of videos/how to's out there to follow. Second big item to notice is the new bracket warren provides. Again there's a significant weight difference when compared to the stock bracket. RacingBrakes aluminum brackets is very night compared to the stock cast steel piece. Add in the larger and lighter new rotor and it really is an impressive package to have in your hands. Installation is straight forward and easy as swapping rotors with just the extra step of swapping the bracket.

On the Street
Once it's all one I took it out for a test drive. On the road I didn't notice any big difference in regular driving. There was a bit of "whirring" noise emitting when i stepped on the brakes, but that's normal noise when using a slotted style rotor. During some spirited driving on some of my favorite back roads I noticed no discernible difference in bias or performance. The one positive I noticed was a slight increase in pedal feel. This wasn't a drastic improvement, but slightly noticeable.

On the Track
I swapped out my Cool Carbon street pads, over to my Hawk DT70 and DT60 track pads. First session of the day I went out and took it easy to get a feel for the car's setup. As the 30 minute session wore on I was finally getting comfortable with the car setup and really pushing it. By the end of the day I was really moving and enjoying this setup. Pedal feel is greatly improved. What was barely noticeable on the street really shines at the limits. Never once throughout the 2 days did I flinch or worry about my brakes. I knew what they were doing the whole time and was able to shorten my stopping distances simply b/c of the confidence I had in my brakes. For those curious/concerned about the bias being affected, there was no significant difference at all. The balance during braking felt the same as it had int he past. My only annoyance about my setup was the fact my pads were wearing and there was an increase in pedal travel, which can't be helped haha.

During temperature testing as I came off the track after a long 30 minute session I found that the front calipers and rotors were consistently cooler than the rear brakes. Calipers were generally 75-100 degrees cooler than the rears. Rotors were anywhere between 150 to 250 degrees coolers than the rears! It has been well documented how much hotter the fronts generally run than the rears.

Post track inspection
Rotors looked great with no major wear/cracking issues. What really surprised me was the calipers and seals. I was surprised to see how expensive seals were being listed for and didn't really understand why they were so much more expensive than the stoptech ones i've purchased in the past. Well now i know why. After frying the stoptech dust boots after a single day on the track, I was extremely surprised and happy to see that the new seals from RacingBrake still look about as good as the day I installed them!! There's the reason they're more expensive and worth the cost. They are designed for the heat and abuse where the others definitely weren't.

Final thoughts
So far I saying this kit is definitely worth the money if you're tracking your car. The quality of the product, and quality of the company are awesome. Initially I only got the rebuild kit for the front calipers, but after seeing how well they performed and have stood up, i'll be getting the rebuild kit for the rears. I"m sure they aren't far off from beginning to crumble too.

FYI guys to get the intro discount pricing better get your order in before Friday. This setup so far is awesome!!!
      08-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #106
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
In a sense yes. The rears though would be an issue for you. As the other poster said you might experience a bit more bias towards the front b/c of the smaller rear rotors on the 128...but that could be fixed with pad choices too.
Excellent, thank you. Really interested in the fronts only rebuild kit, especially with used calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
135 rear brakes need something extra to fit on a 128, from memory it's hand brake cable or something? it's not super complex but it's not 100% direct bolt on and go.
Yes you are correct, 128i rear does not accept 135i rears 100%, they mount but no e-brake/handbrake. A different bracket/mount point is needed. Otherwise you live without hand brake.

But the 128i BMP BBK includes an updated rear caliper, and that is about it for the rears. So 135i front only & stock 128i rear is alright. This has been used by the user Pushkin & his tracked 128i. I spoke to him about it, he didn't even bother with bias update @ dealer.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 08-30-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #107
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anybody else get their order in?
      09-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #108
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
Anybody else get their order in?
Awaiting... Apparently on back order. Have you noticed any crazing or cracking of the rotors yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #109
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
Awaiting... Apparently on back order. Have you noticed any crazing or cracking of the rotors yet?
No not yet...still look as good as the day i put them on
      09-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #110
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Awesome. Its just that I thought I read about crazing and cracking with their rotors. Unless they've upped the QC
Appreciate 0