BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Question Forge FMIC installed, small gap and lower grill questions

Hi,

i have installed my Forge fmic (using stock connections) (135i n54)

i attached two images

i guess it's ok, i just want to be sure if the small gap between radiator and fmic is normal? can't remember if there was one with the stock FMIC.
Could it cause cooling problems? like less air to the surface of the FMIC ?

second question, concerning cooling too, not look
is it better to remove the middle lower grill ?? like more air to the surface of the FMIC ?

besides the grill (second pic), i also have a second piece of plastic with two diagonal arms that obstruct air i guess. (i lined it in red on the second pic but it's behind the grill)

is it possible/an option to remove this?

what do you think ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

1.) See part '6' in the diagram here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0378

2.) Use a dremel to cut out the piece you labeled in red.
      05-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
1.) See part '6' in the diagram here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0378

2.) Use a dremel to cut out the piece you labeled in red.

thanks,

for the 1.), this sealing tape must be still here, and stucked to the radiator, because i just checked if it was taped to the old stock intercooler and it wasn't. I will check with a big light later.

for the 2.) i guess i have to remove the bumper to dremmel this piece so

would you leave the front grill or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
thanks,

for the 1.), this sealing tape must be still here, and stucked to the radiator, because i just checked if it was taped to the old stock intercooler and it wasn't. I will check with a big light later.

for the 2.) i guess i have to remove the bumper to dremmel this piece so

would you leave the front grill or not?
I'd say it's preference really, personally I like it with the mesh still there.

Also you can probably just pop off the mesh to dremel that piece out, and then also see if you like the look without the mesh grill insert at the same time.

Also you can always order a new piece of that sealing tape, i think it's pretty cheap.
      05-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Okay thank you, so for the mesh grill it seems to be just "look" related, i think, after watching some pics, i kinda like it without the mesh, but without tabs also, otherwise it looks weird, like teeth, only seen it on a white one, i guess it's more discreet on a black car, but as the intercooler is silver, i am not sure about the result.

Yep I just read a lot of threads, and some people are saying you can easily remove this middle lower mesh grill by unclipsing tabs with fingers or a flat screw driver, and then moving the grill around to pop out it from the front without having to remove the entire bumper. (works only with the middle lower grill)

I am just not sure that if i remove it, i will have enough room to dremel the piece out without damaging something.

And i will try to see if the sealing tape is still here before ordering a new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

I took my mesh out mainly for aesthetics but leaving it in would prevent some small rocks and debris from bending the fins. I also never removed the sealing tape but my intercooler sits flush. It may just be the ears on the side are either a little higher on the core or not tightened down all the way. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
I took my mesh out mainly for aesthetics but leaving it in would prevent some small rocks and debris from bending the fins. I also never removed the sealing tape but my intercooler sits flush. It may just be the ears on the side are either a little higher on the core or not tightened down all the way. Good luck
Yes, i remember it was tightened to the max, ears completly against the support, we were two people during the install, you're probably right saying the ears on the side might welded a bit high on the core, considering the intercooler fits 335i and 135i aswell (both n55 and n54), it probably flush perfectly to 335i and is just a little bit low for 135i (it's like a 5-7max milimeter gap i would say), but if it's sealed by the tape i guess it could not be dramatic. I will update when checking tomorrow.

Concerning smalls rocks and debris, the actual grill make me feel it's minimally preventive, the beehouse style holes are pretty big and the plastic looks soft, but i am maybe wrong.

Edit: By the way, did you remove your grill without removing your bumper? and did you dremel the plastic thing i labelled in red?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

keep the mesh if you want to keep the boulders out of your new FMIC...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I sent an e-mail to Forge UK in parallel to this thread.

Here is the reply :

"
The small gap is normal, it’s as close to the bottom of the core as we can get.

Definitely don’t remove the grille, the potential for stones to damage the core is significantly higher if they do, but cooling won’t be improved. Ditto the brace behind the grille, no point in removing it, it doesn’t have a big enough effect on the overall cooling. The BMW design of the lower part of the bumper is very efficient, with the core ducted in, and the radiator fan overlapping the back of the core so air can be pulled through even when the car is stationary, and we make use of all of those features."

Well, i think i will leave things like that and will not dremel the brace for the moment,
and i will log IAT once in while during this summer to see if it's efficient enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #10
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Update : i just checked watching closely with a big light and sealing tape is still here, i can see it and i cannot see the fan blades, so i guess it's ok
Appreciate 0