BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M Headlight shake

Anyone else have a lot headlight shake over bumps? I have noticed my light pattern jiggles more than I would expect when going over bumps. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I would think that's a good thing .

The adaptives have some change in pitch. My X3 seemed a little bouncy at times but always evened out.
      08-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Mine shakes quite a lot as well when driving over bumps/rough roads...

I inquired about it during the running service and the service adviser said it is normal because of the adaptive lighting and the stiff suspension...

The explanation sounded logical, I hope they didn't just make it up to brush me off...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
just the way they work unless they flop or drop off i wouldnt be concerned
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Thanks for this thread..........I have the shakes too.........was a little worried that something was wrong.

But it seems normal I suppose, however I never ever noticed this in the M3.......
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My 135i also does this. If you do a search for "headlight wiggle, wobble or jiggle" you will find many posts. Basically I think its the suspension linkage sensors binding a little bit bc everything is new and tight. Over time... the "jiggle" goes away somewhat. Its normal function of the AHL (Adaptive Head Lights).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Kind of a relief to hear others have similar experiences. I was just worried about blinding oncoming traffic or causing some damage to the headlights. I am going in for my 1200 mile service soon and wanted to see if this is something I should point out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Annoying, but normal. Although more noticeable than on my old 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

This is entirely normal...it's called HID flutter. The HID bulbs are long and thin, so they have a tendency to do this over rough bumps/roads. I believe this was done on purpose. Think about it: a rigid long bulb has higher chances of breaking than one that has the ability to flex a little (flutter). It's all in the manufacturing process and how the bulb gets attached to the base.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

You could always test the lights to see if it's normal or excessive. Just turn the light switch to the ON position (all the way to the right) while driving over a bump during night and you should not get the wobble of the light adapting. It should stay straight and not bounce around. The far left position is Auto/Adaptive lights.
      08-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
You could always test the lights to see if it's normal or excessive. Just turn the light switch to the ON position (all the way to the right) while driving over a bump during night and you should not get the wobble of the light adapting. It should stay straight and not bounce around. The far left position is Auto/Adaptive lights.

The "wobble" is when you go over bumps. Not when you turn left or right.

I think its because if the sensors linkage to the suspension... its a ball and socket plastic linkage. When its new it tends to bind some - when it moves. In other words the linkage's movement isn't totally smooth. So the sensor gets a non linear signal, more like a jerking signal with spikes. This is what causes the "wobble" when going over bumps.

After about 15K miles its much less. But still there to some extent. This is just how the system works.

Btw... you guys ONLY get the AHL function when the headlight switch is in the AUTO position. When you manual turn teh headlights on... the headlighst always stay dead straight - they do not turn with the steerung wheel. That is WHY I always run with my lights in AUTO position/mode. I love my kurven-lichts!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
This has nothing to do with Adaptive lights. ALL HID systems have a flutter to them when traveling over rough roads/bumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
This has nothing to do with Adaptive lights. ALL HID systems have a flutter to them when traveling over rough roads/bumps.
May be a little of both, but this statement is true. I did an HID replacement/swap on my type-r in 2001 and I also got this effect after they were installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

The reason you feel the wobbling is that the HID are so bright that it creates a sharp line in front of you.
I was so disturbed with that line wobbling on a highway at night, I decided to adjust the head light slightly upward.
This has moved the sharp line to a little bit further, it doesn't bother me like before.

There is a white plastic thing which you can turn by 6mm hex wrench or a plus driver as shown in the picture below.
It is aiming way below horizontal, so it would not blind the oncoming traffic.

Right side of the car

left side of the car

One turn (360 degrees anti-clockwise) was not enough in my case.
Two turns (720 degrees anti-clockwise) was enough for me.

Before

After
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

The flutter over rough pavement isn't a HID-specific thing and it has nothing to do with the auto-leveling. My car has halogen lights and they too shake over rough pavement and/or bumps. I've had previous cars, with and without HIDs, with and without auto-leveling, and some of them too had "shaky" headlights. It really has to do with the mounting of the projectors and/or reflectors in the headlights. If the tolerance is great enough, the projector/reflectors will actually vibrate over rough pavement. The lights purposely magnify the light and so that minute vibration at the projector/reflector level is very noticeable out in front of the car.

With the advent of the newer dynamic auto-leveling systems that many automakers are now using with HIDs, dealers and misinformed owners chalk the "shaky" lights up to the auto-leveling system doing its thing. I assure you, however, that is not completely true. I even had a car one time that I complained to the dealer about for this exact reason and the dealer told me it was the auto-leveling in action. Hmm, strange, why then did the lights vibrate when the car was sitting still and the cold engine (4-cylinder diesel with no balance shafts) at idle speed? Granted, this vibration could only be seen if parked very close to a wall with the lights on, but you can imagine that rough pavement would only amplify that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
Perfectly Normal
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIYO View Post
The reason you feel the wobbling is that the HID are so bright that it creates a sharp line in front of you.
I was so disturbed with that line wobbling on a highway at night, I decided to adjust the head light slightly upward.
This has moved the sharp line to a little bit further, it doesn't bother me like before.

There is a white plastic thing which you can turn by 6mm hex wrench or a plus driver as shown in the picture below.
It is aiming way below horizontal, so it would not blind the oncoming traffic.

Right side of the car

left side of the car

One turn (360 degrees anti-clockwise) was not enough in my case.
Two turns (720 degrees anti-clockwise) was enough for me.

Before

After
you just made your lights a little illegal and more blinding.

selfish drivers ftmfw
      08-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
you just made your lights a little illegal and more blinding.

selfish drivers ftmfw

Well... to be fair to KIYO bmw does aim the lights kind of low from the factory. As long as other drivers are't flashing him as he drives past he is most likely ok. I think KIYO tip is a good one to keep in mind. Because as we know sometimes the cars don't really get a thorough PDI - in checking the headlight hight specs.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Your right. I might be one of the selfish owner. I will check if oncoming traffic flashes.
My 1M' headlight was aiming at just in front of me. So it was kind of dangerous on a highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #20
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

I would do the proper headlight adjustment as advised by your transportation dept.
      09-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Haven't had the shakes myself but I recently noticed how low the lights were.

The Xenon's on my R53 Mini Cooper S were also set very low and my dealer adjusted them for me.

Think I will make the request when the 1M goes in next.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

Have that Phenomenon too. Didn't experience that on my Z4 sDrive 23i.
Appreciate 0