E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is the downside of being a BMW owner?

04-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #67
Fenianz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
they think I am of a different ethnicity due to the stereotypes here on the westside of LA regarding BMWs and "brownish" people.
That's funny, Latino/Hispanics almost make up the majority in California. Los Angeles County is one of the most populated county's with Latino/Hispanics. Anyways cheers on your car
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #68
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

The only downside is as soon as you buy a 330i, BMW comes out with a 335i! :mad:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #69
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenianz
That's funny, Latino/Hispanics almost make up the majority in California. Los Angeles County is one of the most populated county's with Latino/Hispanics. Anyways cheers on your car
YEah..I know. Well, ok..no offense to anyone here or my fellow angelinos. But in the past, no one confused me for a different ethnicity when I drove around in my Toyota and then my Nissan.

All of a sudden...I cruise in a BMW in Westwood, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, etc..and blam...people think I am middle eastern. Yeah...all kinds of stereotypes attached to certain brands of cars, etc. But, what are you gonna do?

Guess...just enjoy the ride, and :finger: to the haters.
      04-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #70
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweoholic
2 things.

1) If I were to pull up directly next to a black 6 series, i would KNOW exactly what he would be thinking, and I truely beleive its valid, because I would feel the SAME EXACT way, and I will feel that way, once I upgrade in the next few months.

And that feeling is "A wannabe" And I would be insulted if I spent twice the amount to have this jerk off try to be in the same league as me....

2) I have never had the feeling of thorough enjoyment while in my e90 - everyone has a better car here, my car is the = to a civic....

Its basically like throwing away tens of thousands of dollars out here IF you are trying to compete. And I learned the hard way. Out here its ALL about competition. Thats probably what will lead me to retire in NC or SC or somewhere more remote, yet still civilized...

Today I already saw 2 Bentlys and a Masarati. Amoung 20 BMW and 20 MB's. If someone sees a BMW out here jealousy does not even enter their mind. Its 100% diff then the midwest. People think BMW;s are normal cars out here, nothing special at all (atleast 3 series)

The area i live in is a league of its own, and one that not even I cud tap into at this point, maybe soon..

Comparing anyones thoughts or experiences whom DONT live in the tri state area to mine, is like comparing apples to oranges. Not even close....

-Chris.
question for you:

is your car really your game?!?

i mean c'mon. i know your trying to be honest, but read what your writting. who are you trying to impress? and exactly what "league" are you in? im trying to figure out why you bought a 3 in the first place. even if you get a more expensive car theyrs always going to be a nicer car than yours. then what? i think there some insecurity issues you need to deal with rather than blaming your car for not being able to "compete."

ive driven many crappy cars through out my life. 85 volvo, that would die on the road, 86 camry, hell even a 85 dodge colt...ect. anyhow the point is ive NEVER felt like a "wanna be." im just fine being me.

BTW im from socal. and 3s are even more common here than anywhere and depending where you go, so are ferrarris, bentley, and masseratits. what do you do then? sorry for sounding kinda "bothered" by this topic, youre being honest so am i.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #71
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
2 things.

1) If I were to pull up directly next to a black 6 series, i would KNOW exactly what he would be thinking, and I truely beleive its valid, because I would feel the SAME EXACT way, and I will feel that way, once I upgrade in the next few months.

And that feeling is "A wannabe" And I would be insulted if I spent twice the amount to have this jerk off try to be in the same league as me....

2) I have never had the feeling of thorough enjoyment while in my e90 - everyone has a better car here, my car is the = to a civic....

Today I already saw 2 Bentlys and a Masarati. Amoung 20 BMW and 20 MB's. If someone sees a BMW out here jealousy does not even enter their mind. Its 100% diff then the midwest. People think BMW;s are normal cars out here, nothing special at all (atleast 3 series)

The area i live in is a league of its own, and one that not even I cud tap into at this point, maybe soon..

Comparing anyones thoughts or experiences whom DONT live in the tri state area to mine, is like comparing apples to oranges. Not even close....

-Chris.
The original topic of this thread was downsides to owning a BMW. I would have to say the "BMW stereotype". Sadly, you are an example of this stereotype. I live in the tri-state area and, yes, BMW's are very common here. In fact, Ferrari's are even getting to be common in my area (I happen to drive past 2 Bentley's, 3 Ferrari's and numerous BMW's and MB's each morning before I leave the exit of my building's garage). But, after reading your post I can see that you have quite a bit of growing up to do.

Do you seriously look down on anyone driving a less expensive car than yourself? I drive a BMW 3 series right now and ultimately plan to own nicer cars in the near future, but that doesn't give me the right to look down on others who have not yet purchased such a car. Take a look at the Forbes list of richest people in the WORLD. If I'm not mistaken, Warren Buffet drives a Ford Crown Victoria (or something similar). The guy is worth almost $50 billion dollars and essentially drives the same car as the Yellow Cab drivers in NYC. But, if he pulled up next to you at a traffic light, would you would unknowingly look down on him?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #72
wweoholic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253
so basically what you are saying is that all you do is care about what other people think. You think because you have a 3 series, you are some lowly peon who isn't worth the BMW he is in? I think not. I live in the tri state area. I work in a town where median income is 250k. I pull up next to a Bentley. What do i think? Oh, wow..nice car...and I keep it moving. A 6 series driver next to me is not going to look at me and say "is he trying to hang with me" unless he in an arrogant prick. And if he does think that..so what? Its his opinion. When you upgrade your car and think that all 3 series drivers aren't on the same status as you...well then...you know you've reached the stage of the said 6 series driver.

So what if people think your car is a "normal" car. Its a car! I'm not trying to rag on you but I think you got your priorities out of whack.

PS... "Out here" Competition is not based on the car you drive...its based on how successful you are. You don't neccessarily show it through a depreciating asset. You show it through your personal assets.. i.e: home, land, savings, etc. If you are a teenager, then yes...maybe its that competition on who has the better car. Not sure how old you are..but you'll soon learn that the car doesn't make the man..the man makes the man...
I 100% agree with the car doesnt make the man.

I am complete in almost every aspect. I am a great family man, friendly, respectful, polite, smart, and everything else.........

However I am admiting, I do have a image problem. And not that its right, but I have to be the best. Now, its not justification that I feel this way considering where I live, however it does justify things slightly.

I also 100% agree that a car is a horrible investment, however I am too young to own a house (17), on top of that I might not want the responsibilites of owning a house because I see what my parents go through, vs. my uncles who live in 5500$ a month communites.

So other then clothes, and a girl to go on your arm, whats next? A awesome car. I had a HORRIBLE misconception that if I got a loaded 3 at age 16-17 I would continue to be the big man.

HOWEVER, now that I am a boat owner amoung other things, I HAVE entered the new league. And my car can no longer compete.

It was a exercise that lost me money, but it will be corrected. Meantime, I do not feel embarassed or ashamed to be in my car, which honestly might last for the next 3-4 months since I just dropped a enourmous amount of cash into new technologies for the business.... That i guess, is a smart move, unlike my post. Ha ha ha... lol
      04-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #73
wweoholic
Private
Rep

Also is it fair to be on a ego trip when you have become more succesful then your parents combined, at age 17?

That gives me a little validity.
      04-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #74
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Also is it fair to be on a ego trip when you have become more succesful then your parents combined, at age 17?

Definitely. If you started your own business.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #75
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

Quote:

out of curiosity....what exactly do you do? Did you start from the bottom up on your own? (I notice your website). If thats the case..Hey...I give you plenty of credit when it comes to making that money...

but what I said before still stands....
      04-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #76
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

Quote:
I 100% agree with the car doesnt make the man.

I am complete in almost every aspect. I am a great family man, friendly, respectful, polite, smart, and everything else.........

However I am admiting, I do have a image problem. And not that its right, but I have to be the best. Now, its not justification that I feel this way considering where I live, however it does justify things slightly.

I also 100% agree that a car is a horrible investment, however I am too young to own a house (17), on top of that I might not want the responsibilites of owning a house because I see what my parents go through, vs. my uncles who live in 5500$ a month communites.

So other then clothes, and a girl to go on your arm, whats next? A awesome car. I had a HORRIBLE misconception that if I got a loaded 3 at age 16-17 I would continue to be the big man.

HOWEVER, now that I am a boat owner amoung other things, I HAVE entered the new league. And my car can no longer compete.

It was a exercise that lost me money, but it will be corrected. Meantime, I do not feel embarassed or ashamed to be in my car, which honestly might last for the next 3-4 months since I just dropped a enourmous amount of cash into new technologies for the business.... That i guess, is a smart move, unlike my post. Ha ha ha... lol

you're 17? then I take it that you didn't buy the car and had your parents do so. No wonder you overpaid.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #77
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
2 things.

Its basically like throwing away tens of thousands of dollars out here IF you are trying to compete. And I learned the hard way. Out here its ALL about competition. Thats probably what will lead me to retire in NC or SC or somewhere more remote, yet still civilized...

-Chris.

So let me get this right, and on topic...................

So the down side to driving a E90 is that compared to Bentley's and Maserati's, you feel like a lesser man/human being? Or not in someone's league?
I think you may have more problems than your entry-level BMW.
Maybe try clicking here to help solve your problem(not work friendly):
Here
      04-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #78
wweoholic
Private
Rep

Officially the car is under my moms name, since I legally cant own a car, and she has remarkable credit.

However all funds came from myself.

and yes, I did start from ground bottom...

All my life I went through numerous "bording" type schools, special ed, lock downs, etc...

When i turned 16 I immedaitly was withdrawed from school, mutually between myself and my parents....It was the best move ever, school was OUT OF CONTROLL from 5th grade on, I do have a problem with athority, and I am not affraid to act on things.
      04-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #79
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hahah, this topic has taken a dramatic downturn, and you're the one that posted this thread right...
15 shots of me (WWEOHOLIC) pick the best one

ya, you probably need a 6 series to correct your image problem...
      04-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #80
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Hahah, this topic has taken a dramatic downturn, and you're the one that posted this thread right...
15 shots of me (WWEOHOLIC) pick the best one

ya, you probably need a 6 series to correct your image problem...

M6 I'd say.
      04-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #81
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Officially the car is under my moms name, since I legally cant own a car, and she has remarkable credit.

However all funds came from myself.

and yes, I did start from ground bottom...

All my life I went through numerous "bording" type schools, special ed, lock downs, etc...

When i turned 16 I immedaitly was withdrawed from school, mutually between myself and my parents....It was the best move ever, school was OUT OF CONTROLL from 5th grade on, I do have a problem with athority, and I am not affraid to act on things.
You have officially gained my interest. Explain to me how you made your wealth, if you don't mind me asking. How did you manage to make a fortune in a year with no education?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #82
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I can see this one spiraling out of control already. Please keep the posts on-topic or I'll have to tow this to off-topic. If you guys want to discuss wweoholic's business, please take it to off-topic. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #83
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm guessing connection from parents to have priority to obtain event tickets at face value, then scalp the tickets out using your website. That's very smart, find your connections, and nail the niche market.
      04-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #84
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Oops, back on topic...
Can you really imagine yourself driving another car now that you've tasted the entry level BMW? It can only go up from here.
      04-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #85
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Oops, back on topic...
Can you really imagine yourself driving another car now that you've tasted the entry level BMW? It can only go up from here.
It will be painful, and I hope I don't have to find out.

For example I used to really enjoy driving my dad's Nissan Murano. I drove my parents to the airport in it recently (lugage capacity is not the E90's strongpoint ) and it was terrible by comparison. The brakes, the feel of the buttons and interior, the handling, etc...

Hopefully it's nowhere but up from here...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #86
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Up? From a 3-series? Doesn't get a whole lot more fun than this in my book. I started on a 1602ti -> 1602 -> 2002 ->2002tii [got seat time in some interesting rallye 2002s, including a turbo] -> boring datsuns and hondas -> E46 323. I have no ambition to get anything other than more 3 series. Considered a Porsche, but too much social BS and too little practical function. I do not want to stand out. I do not want a luxo-barge. I want a fun car and to be left alone and not be judged by what I drive. Give me a AW 335touring and let me fade into the woodwork. I love BMW engineering. I am happy with a car that is made of quality parts, that is extremely reliable, a blast to drive, and good total value [low depreciation and maintenance].
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #87
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Up? From a 3-series? Doesn't get a whole lot more fun than this in my book. I started on a 1602ti -> 1602 -> 2002 ->2002tii [got seat time in some interesting rallye 2002s, including a turbo] -> boring datsuns and hondas -> E46 323. I have no ambition to get anything other than more 3 series. Considered a Porsche, but too much social BS and too little practical function. I do not want to stand out. I do not want a luxo-barge. I want a fun car and to be left alone and not be judged by what I drive. Give me a AW 335touring and let me fade into the woodwork. I love BMW engineering. I am happy with a car that is made of quality parts, that is extremely reliable, a blast to drive, and good total value [low depreciation and maintenance].
I'm thinking the M3 might be a little more fun. That's next on the list for me.
      04-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #88
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Only downside I can think of to owning a BMW is getting sucked into truely useless threads like this one

Oh and by the way wweoholic, it's clear you have issues of self esteem you are grappling with. Take some of that $$$ you've earned and get yourself some good therapy. It'll be the best money you've spent ... far more worthwile for you than any car or boat.