BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
Elusivity
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Cheap CIC Firmware update for Feb 2010 135i in Sydney

Does anyone know if there anyone in sydney doing reasonably priced updates for CIC (i.e. ICOM not KD-CAN USBcable)?

09/2009-03/2010 (mine is a feb 2010) cars have a firmware issue that doesn't allow for USB or DVD map updates to work properly. This also the same reason why the BT update at http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html is only available for cars built after March 2010 even though this is months after CIC replaced CCC.

Haven't gotten any quotes yet, as this is a 2nd hand card I expect to be charged a pretty penny by a dealer and given the run around. I've found one place in Caringbah but their quote is almost as much as buying an ICOM box itself, and if that's the case I'd rather just buy the hardware and do it myself.

Last edited by Elusivity; 01-02-2017 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
Superdaws114.00
      01-02-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

I've got a Jan 2010 build, Mar delivered with CIC that doesn't have any map update issues.

I can't confirm absolutely positively mine wasn't upgraded, but it only ever went in for dealer free servicing 3 times for an oil change. They never "said" they updated it.

Just updated to 2016 maps a couple of months ago when I found the map files. Have also updated it a couple of times before that with no issues.

Are you using the USB slot in the glove box?

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Elusivity
Rep

In short yeah I'm using the glove box USB slot.

Can you dump music to your CIC hdd? I can't, don't get a menu option for it, perhaps it's a codable option but I can't talk to CIC due to no ICOM. Nor can I stream via A2DP, which the BT update above should allow me to do, but it isn't recognised in either USB slot.

I'll detail my journey so far:

Bought the car from non-BMW dealer, checked everything on it cept for GPS. Navigation just sits there trying to 'load gps' and doesn't do anything, can't access any submenus. Obviously unable to access CIC and Navigation submenu can't tell if GPS receiver is faulty or not in the car, but obviously GPS is part of the car so decided that I should probably get new maps regardless as dealership is closed until 3/1/2017 so I couldn't follow them up.

Bought 2015 off one vendor, loaded it via USB and it came up wanting to update, I accepted and while I expected the FSC Code window to pop up it didnt. Looked like it was going to start an update then copied / installed something then say it was going to update the maps but errored out before the % bar screen saying the files were corrupt or manipulated. Vendor was uselss and didn't try to support just said it should work.

Bought 2017 off of a second vendor, had emailed a bit first to check that it wasn't going to be zero response. This time the update popped up saying it was going to update maps, again no FSC code request (both times I was provided them for the corresponding maps, so I found it odd that I was never asked to enter them). As soon as I press accept idrive would come up with the same error as before, files are corrupt or have been manipulated.

Emailed the vendor, he suggested that a dvd update might work, tried a single layer disc at 4x using the correct code name for the disc, idrive didn't recognise it as an update disc, media section shows up with unreadable when trying to select CD.

Emailed the vendor again he suggested verbatim dual layer dvd+r disc, which sounded odd as the data just fit onto a single layer disc for ANZ, might be suggesting US / EU requirements (3 DL disc sets). Again idrive didn't recognise it as an update disc, media section shows up with unreadable when trying to select CD.

Just checked email and the vendor is now sending me the dvd set, which is nice but doing some researching find out there are a few forum posts about needing recent (in 2011) ISTA/P firmware version in the car to do the update, i.e. post 3/2010. Spacing in URL intentional, don't know if 1addicts blocks cross referencing: w w w . b i m m e r f e s t . c o m / f o r u m s / s h o w p o s t . p h p ? p = 6 0 5 6 0 4 2 & p o s t c o u n t = 1

Based on logbook the car itself hasn't seen a dealer since it was picked up, I verified with the two workshops that serviced the car with the previous owner but they weren't BMW dealerships so I doubt there were any updates made to any of the firmware in the car. This causes me to think ehh I should probably find someone with ICOM to update all modules anyway, if it's cheaper than getting my own ICOM A2+B+C clone.

I'll call Advan if they're open tomorrow as they've done retrofits I'd expect they have the required kit to upgrade & code CIC too. I just don't really want to have to spend over $350 to get the GPS maps working when I've already bought them twice, especially considering I could just buy the ICOM setup for that much and do all the upgrades myself.

Last edited by Elusivity; 01-02-2017 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Called USB slot BT.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Elusivity
Rep

This thread give more info about needing CIC FW updated to do the Maps update.

h t t p : / / w w w . b i m m e r f e s t . c o m / f o r u m s / a r c h i v e / i n d e x . p h p / t - 7 1 0 7 9 6 . h t m l
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Are you sure it's not a retrofit?

If it's factory fitted there will be an Ethernet connection between CIC and ODB2 which can allow you to communicate with CIC using K+DCAN Ethernet (not usb). It won't allow you to do ISTA/P update but it will allow you to view the files etc on the CIC.

Yes I'm able to put music onto my HDD.

Other than that might be corrupted HDD???

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Elusivity
Rep

Not a retrofit, unless it was done poorly, VIN decoder shows: S606 Navigation system Business

I need to update my VM to v60, but I'd really thought that I'd be able to see CIC in NCSExpert, unsure what it's running now. But you're right CIC really should show up.

Hmm that's definitely possible and might explain why Navigation just spins away without doing anything, honestly that was my initial thought but I dismissed it possibly because I didn't want to think the worst case.

Got a quote back for $200, will await Advan and see what they say, but will research corrupted hdd. I've researched replacing the drive, but that was with a bit perfect clone, no point trying to clone a corrupted drive, so might be a new mess to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

When you do the VIN decode, are you taking it from the Vehicle Order in the car?

The VO taken from the car can and has to be updated for a retrofit CIC, so looking just at the car order may not tell you the whole story, if your VIN decoding from BMW direct then it should be as per factory.

HDD corruption sounds likely given the other issues as well. There are "some" generic clones available on the interwebs, but I'm not sure if generic will work. VTL aka Vince has done a HDD change but I think his original drive was still usable, he might be able to help more.

Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Elusivity
Rep

I didn't look for MCIC in NCSExpert, i was looking for CIC. MCIC reads from the car correctly, so it's definitely there.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! I'll PM Vince then and see if he can give me some further info regarding replacement hdd, but have been given a reasonable price to update all modules to v60, so will do that first.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivity View Post
I didn't look for MCIC in NCSExpert, i was looking for CIC. MCIC reads from the car correctly, so it's definitely there.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! I'll PM Vince then and see if he can give me some further info regarding replacement hdd, but have been given a reasonable price to update all modules to v60, so will do that first.
Mate send me a PM. I can tell you exactly what's wrong with your CIC (i have a copy of ISTA Rheingold) and a special CIC coding program + the full BMW Standard Tools Suite. If you'd like to meet up i live on the lower/middle north shore
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

If you have 606 then you have nav business (cicm) and not CiC navigation professional.

The nav updates for business with be different and would explain why yours doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Elusivity
Rep

Ahh yeah that does explain it, though I do agree there's an issue with the hdd else I shouldn't be having the issues I am without being able to do the glovebox music copy and gps trying to start but never getting anywhere.

VTL are you or is anyone else aware of CIC hdds needing to be coded for, or can I just ask someone to be kind enough to give me a bit perfect copy of theirs? Alternatively do I need to start ebay hunting for a bare drive I can utilise for this purprose?

VTL from your build thread it seems like you can swap in an msata drive with the appropriate msata to hdd adaptor, was it a 44pin EIDE type adaptor? I'd rather go with an SSD if I need to buy another drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Ahh yeah that does explain it, though I do agree there's an issue with the hdd else I shouldn't be having the issues I am without being able to do the glovebox music copy and gps trying to start but never getting anywhere.

VTL are you or is anyone else aware of CIC hdds needing to be coded for, or can I just ask someone to be kind enough to give me a bit perfect copy of theirs? Alternatively do I need to start ebay hunting for a bare drive I can utilise for this purprose?

VTL from your build thread it seems like you can swap in an msata drive with the appropriate msata to hdd adaptor, was it a 44pin EIDE type adaptor? I'd rather go with an SSD if I need to buy another drive.
CIC professional hard drives can be swapped without coding. Know someone locally with a dead hard drive who cloned another car's HDD and got his going again. Never done the same for CICM business nav hard drives but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same.

Check my latest post in my build thread regarding my SSD retrofit.
      01-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
Elusivity
Rep

Cheers vtl have read it and found a clone image, will test it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #14
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Cheers vtl have read it and found a clone image, will test it out.
could you clone a cic hdd and get the improved firmware ?