11-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #23
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
My car made me feel like a rockstar during my ED....ridiculous attention throughout Europe. Back home, hardly any looks....I actually much prefer the stealth.
Exactly, got so many ppl driving pass me on the highway(while I stick to the speed limit) giving me thumbs up while in ED. People would just stare at me(the car actually) while I was getting gas. Not so much in US except for the server at the McDonalds/Burger King drive through saying nice car.

The only time I really feel like a rockstar back here in US is when I pull up into the dealer where I bought the car to get my first service done in UK reimbursed. Since I did ED+PCD. No one knows I actually bought the car from them except for the CA of course and was very surprised.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Here (in Germany) it really depends on who's looking at the car. Car enthusiasts almost all know what it is, no matter if they're BMW fans / owners or not. I've had Porsche drivers ask me about the car.

This morning two carpenters on their coffee break stopped me when I left the bakery to pick up my morning snack. They asked me if that was actually a 1 series M Coupé (yes, they actually used the correct name). One of them drives a Z4, the other an M336.

It happens quite a lot. I've had more people ask me about the 1er so far, than I ever had ask me anything about my ex M392 (red) and hardly anybody ever recognized its predecessor, my M346 (black) as "something special". I don't mind, as all the feedback has been very positive so far. Almost all comment on the great looks of the car. With the M392 I had the ocasional smart-aXX try to start a politically correct environmentalism discussion with me, non of that with the 1er so far. To those people it's obviously just a 1er. Don't mind that either.

Since my car was one of the first on the road and we had a vacation in the UK scheduled, right after I got it... that was a little stressful. I had quite a number of people try to pass me to take pictures with their mobile, while we were in the UK. Thankfully that has stopped. A couple of those manoeuvres were outright dangerous and I now know why the drivers driving the camo'd prototypes really hate the attention they get!

To me all that doesn't matter though. The car is right for me, it is exactly what I expected it to be (actually a little more) and I simply love driving it. To me it's the perfect mix of fun car and daily driver. And... even my wife fell in love with it.
      11-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

It wont happen.

Back in 2008 and 2009 I had nearly a dozen people come up to me and ask me if I was driving the new M3.

People just arent smart haha

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
This morning two carpenters on their coffee break stopped me when I left the bakery to pick up my morning snack. They asked me if that was actually a 1 series M Coupé (yes, they actually used the correct name). One of them drives a Z4, the other an M336.
Cool story. Where I live carpenters would only respect my car if it was a Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel pickup truck that would not fit in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #27
nebby
SoCal 1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Audi A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoM View Post
Cool story. Where I live carpenters would only respect my car if it was a Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel pickup truck that would not fit in the garage.
Oddly enough, the most enthusiastic "thumbs up" and acknowledgements for my 1M have come from two different owners, both in Ford F-150s.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It wont happen.

Back in 2008 and 2009 I had nearly a dozen people come up to me and ask me if I was driving the new M3.

People just arent smart haha
+1 numerous times in my 135.. literally "nice M3!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #29
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Our 1M got a fair amount of positive attention during our ED experience. Especially at Neuschwanstein Castle, where I was parked and standing outside the car waiting for my wife to come back from the information / ticket office place. People would stop and admire it and ask questions, and one guy asked to take a picture of his son in front of the 1M, which I thought was cool (never had that happen before to one of my cars). That was really the only time I was with the car when it was parked. The attendant at the car wash (late teens / early 20s) knew exactly what it was and was so excited to see--and hear--a 1M in person. He was very nice.

Currently our car is on the Elektra. It just left Bremerhaven yesterday, so I can't report on the US reception. However, I've been surprised by the number of people I've talked to who have no idea what an M car is, let alone the 1M. They know we went to Germany and when I try to tell them about the car, I feel like I need to explain what an M car is and what the 1-series is and what the E30 M3 is and... I guess I want people to be excited about it, too.

When it comes to other topics, I guess I'm probably as clueless as some of our friends are when it comes to cars. On another non-automotive forum somewhere I'm sure people are having the same conversation about topics I hardly know anything about.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

judging from the aggressiveness of the car, i was expecting a lot of attention and looks, but so far my AW 1M has flown under the radar (and i'm in socal). only notice i got was a guy who pulled up to park next to me in a E92 M3 and stopped me to have a quick chat. he loved the car and said he would have gotten one if one was available when he purchased his M3. and the other one was from a guy in one of those chargers/camaros/etc. who couldn't stop staring as he drove past.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
lol no I know of the guys. They aren't the type. It still made for quite an amusing reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurEinser View Post
They looked disappointed and walked off. Keep in mind they admired my car until I told them it was a 1er.
Hopefully it wasn't because they had an order to steal a 1M and were bummed that they hadn't found their mark
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
I have had my car back home since the 10th. Have had Many people tell me how great the car looks, a few take pictures of the car as I come out of stores etc. but have yet to have anyone say, Wow! it's a 1M

Granted my car is the Only 1M in Utah and I don't drive it everyday around the city.

I am still waiting for that 1st person who actually knows what a 1M is.

Anyone else out there noticed this as well?

Loving this car more each time I drive it.
I'm in Utah. Drive it by my house and I'll comment on how its a 1M! I still haven't seen one in person and would loooovveee to. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #33
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Dumbest comment I had so far... "Is that an E30 with a body kit on it?" To which I replied," It's a modern interpretation of it." LOL.

Most people who do recognize it call it a M1. I wish...

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #34
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I was stopped by an e46 M3 owner and asked if this was the new M1. I was quick to correct him and explained to him what it actually is. He was delighted to see it in person.

While cruising with another 1M buddy, we were followed to a gas station by a man (and his family) who knew exactly what it was, and said to us that he was well aware he may not see another one again (in his own words), and that's why he decided to follow us.

It seems to me like automotive enthusiasts know exactly what it is (they all stare), while non automotive enthusiasts may not know the exact label, but realize it's something different and special. My car gets acknowledged by all types of people and age groups.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
Redlyne_mr2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m, mr2 turbo, Land Rover

I love my 1m because it looks like every other BMW on the road lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #36
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2 View Post
I love my 1m because it looks like every other BMW on the road lol.
Just out of curiosity, are you blind?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #37
Redlyne_mr2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m, mr2 turbo, Land Rover

lol its a 2 door BMW, most people dont notice things like flares, big wheels, the exhaust. It takes somewhat of an enthusiast to recognize a 1m and lets face it, 95% of people could care less about cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #38
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
It is always gratifying when the lamborghini driver looks over to inspect the car....shortly before showing his "poo chutes." lol:
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #39
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedM View Post
judging from the aggressiveness of the car, i was expecting a lot of attention and looks, but so far my AW 1M has flown under the radar (and i'm in socal). only notice i got was a guy who pulled up to park next to me in a E92 M3 and stopped me to have a quick chat. he loved the car and said he would have gotten one if one was available when he purchased his M3. and the other one was from a guy in one of those chargers/camaros/etc. who couldn't stop staring as he drove past.
Same here! San Diego. Basically invisible. I'm sure VO would get more looks but AW is under the radar. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #40
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Even VO doesn't get ALL that many looks. There are around 5-7 other cars with similar paint jobs in my work parking lot. Dodge's, Hyundai's, etc. They all have that burnt orange paint job. Doesn't look as nice but when flying by it is hard to tell that the 1M's is deeper and shimmers.

I've had one person follow me, and a few other thumbs up, all been from other M drivers. Apart from that nothing too unusual.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #41
staianoa
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW X1  [0.00]
1990 325i Sedan  [0.00]
1995 540i M Sport  [0.00]
2011 1 Series M Coupe  [10.00]
Gets looks...

I had the only VO in Hawaii for some time (should be one more now). I get tons of looks and have had at least a dozen people take pics of the car. I even met a German girl in a bar in Waikiki and the talk turned to BMW's. She took out her camera and had a picture of my car from early that day when I had been driving around the island. Crazy stuff! Had an Audi R8 pull up at a light and roll down the window to give me props. I returned the props and he promptly smoked me off the line. Good times! I didn't buy it for the attention, but I must admit that it is kind of fun to have a car that really turns heads.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #42
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
It smacks of elitist snobbery, but my skin crawls when people I know refer to it as the M1. Just sayin'.
My car gets mistaken for a "M1" a lot. And a few people I know have been seeing the 1M on the streets and immediately think back to my car and text me a pic saying "LOOK ITS A M1!!".

I don't have the heart to correct them... "well actualllyyy the M1 was an iconic race car of the 70's, and in order to not infringe on the legendary nameplate... blah blah" they'd probably tune out anyway.
USAA insures the car as a M1
Appreciate 0