BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
Just happened AGAIN, this time while I was crossing traffic in front of a cop. So when I pressed harder it shot across the intersection like a scalded dog. Damn, this pisses me off.
Do you drive in the DCT in D mode, S mode or manual mode?

I always use manual so I'm wondering if that has to do with the fact that I don't have the issue any more. However I'm sure I had the issue before and I did a couple of tests yesterday in D mode and no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I always drive in manual with sport mode on and traction control off. Somewhat eliminates the problems.
      08-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Wasn't there a thread recently describing this with a software TSB? I was in a 2011 335 with DCT recently and it died after a complete stop at a light. I believe there is a fix from the dealer...do a search, but maybe Dackelone can chime in on this issue.

Found it, but not certain if this applies to you:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725638

This is what I read somewhere:

BMW has issued a technical service bulletin for the stop / start (MSA system) issues previously reported. The problem is only related to F30 335i 3 series powered by the N55 inline six cylinder engine. The problem is that the engine will be stopped and started correctly by the stop/start MSA system, however, after the restart the engine will again shut off unexpectedly. The system will display a message to the driver that the stop/start feature has been disabled and the transmission (automatic) is put into neutral automatically.

The engine can be started manually by the driver after this has happened using the start button. This happens intermittent making this very frustrating to drivers and hard for technicians to diagnose. Furthermore the is no relevant errors logged into the ECU fault system.

BMW cites an 'unfavorable DME software application' as the source of the issue for cars produced between 11/2/2011 and 2/29/2012. To the automotive enthusiasts that loosely translates to "we screw up". BMW is owning up to the issue by issuing service bulletin 10 12 00 09 00. Everyone with a 2012 F30 3 series is of course covered under the warranty so besides the hassle of getting your 3 series recoded at the dealership it is an easy fix.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 08-24-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
For instance, on the highway today in rush hour traffic. Cruising at about 10-15 mph in 1st gear. Seeing an opening in my mirror, turn the wheel and give it gas.... nothing. Almost got hit and had to turn back into the lane. Tried it again with a little more of a running start to get the turbo spooled up and it was a piece of cake.

Just plain dangerous in my opinion. There's no reason it should do that.
This kind of situation is what scares me. For the most part it is a nuisance that I am adjusting to....but what about when I need to make a low speed evasive maneuver or am in a situation like above?

Just took delivery a few weeks ago and I think a July build date.

Im hoping JB4 helps the issue and if not I will investigate one of these pedal box type products. I understand it is a powerful little car, but leave the finesse to my right foot please. If I can control a 1/4 turn throttle on a sport bike I can handle this car.

I really feel that if someone were to have an accident due to this that they could have a case against BMW.

Edit: Just want to add I have the same kind of scenarios often in roundabouts in town over here. Be cruising up to it around 10-20 mph, another car on roundabout but plenty of time for me to jump in, especially considering I have momentum already, give it gas...nothing. Have had to slam the brakes a few times to keep from just rolling into the path of a car because nothing happened when i pressed the go pedal.
      08-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
JB4 will help slightly with their lag fix, but I'm also seriously considering the pedal box to see how that helps.

Anyone have the pedal box yet on the N55 with the DCT???
      08-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #28
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

alexmti, each time this has happened' I've been in D mode with the sport button on.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #29
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT, Sport/PremPkg)

I usually drive in manual mode (M) with DTC off once (not fully off), and not using sport. Sport for me is only when another sporty expensive-ish looking car is sitting next to me at a light :P

I had the car stall on me twice when coming to a stop when in D mode early on when I was getting used to how it behaves. Since then the first I do when I get it in the car is flip it to manual and turn off the dct once, and when coming to a stop always downshift it into first. Once you get used to the scenarios the car misbehaves in you can learn avoid them... Not that I am defending bmw in any way - they really should adress these issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

This is an issue for MT6 N55 cars too. I had to sell mine after BMW updated the DME software & introduced throttle lag. IMHO the car became dangerous to drive.
      08-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
JB4 will help slightly with their lag fix, but I'm also seriously considering the pedal box to see how that helps.

Anyone have the pedal box yet on the N55 with the DCT???
I'm also considering the pedal box. Shouldn't have to do that but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has done it on a 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got the dealer survey for service and I was completely honest, which was pretty brutal. Granted, I haven't had the problems that many of the forum members have had, but I am unimpressed with their ability to diagnose/repair a couple of what I believe should be easy fixes. I checked the box to have BMW North America contact me. We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Keep us updated

Quote:
Just got the dealer survey for service and I was completely honest, which was pretty brutal. Granted, I haven't had the problems that many of the forum members have had, but I am unimpressed with their ability to diagnose/repair a couple of what I believe should be easy fixes. I checked the box to have BMW North America contact me. We'll see how it goes.
Hope they fix this sooner rather than later it's insane it's taking this long
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #34
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Hope they fix this sooner rather than later it's insane it's taking this long
I agree. I'm not a big complainer but I just don't get a sense of urgency, it's like they don't really care. I just love the freaking car though, but the service...not so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
This is an issue for MT6 N55 cars too. I had to sell mine after BMW updated the DME software & introduced throttle lag. IMHO the car became dangerous to drive.
Judging from past threads(elsewhere)... it effects both N55 and N54's. This new SW update sucks. But someone also said that BMW is working on a new SW release in a month or so to address the "lag". We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure the problem described initially is the same as the problem with the lag introduced by the software update (wibbles and dackelone posts). I had this problem before and looking the videos showing the "software update lag" I can say I don't remember experiencing such strong lag before.

Maybe TX135 can confirm but what I experienced was "nothing happening for 1 second and then as I press the pedal more to get it moving then it unleashes the power". The engine was not responding *at all* for one second, that's why I think the two issues are not linked. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i View Post
I'm not sure the problem described initially is the same as the problem with the lag introduced by the software update (wibbles and dackelone posts). I had this problem before and looking the videos showing the "software update lag" I can say I don't remember experiencing such strong lag before.

Maybe TX135 can confirm but what I experienced was "nothing happening for 1 second and then as I press the pedal more to get it moving then it unleashes the power". The engine was not responding *at all* for one second, that's why I think the two issues are not linked. Just my 2 cents
That is exactly the feeling. Not a turbo lag, it's an initial non-response. Probably a split second but when you're pulling into traffic it seems a helluva lot longer than that! It's almost like you have to 'pump' the pedal to get it to move, and when it finally catches, it goes like hell. It did it again 15 minutes ago, and again from a dead stop, 1st gear, warm engine, Sport button on.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i View Post

Ok, yes, that sounds very different than turbo lag. For me the engine always responded... just that I felt more lag.

Btw... Alex your car and TX135i 's are both DCT right? Maybe its something in the way that trans behaves. I would talk to your dealer and ask if there are any SW updates to address this lack of response.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

We have a 2011 GTI with the DSG transmission at our household along with my 6MT 2012 135i.. The GTI behaves the same as what all you guys are describing. I want to say it's just the nature of dual clutch trannies right now and until everyone figures out how Ferrari and Lambo are doing it properly I think this will be a continuing issue.. That's just another reason I refuse to get an auto for now, I just don't feel the technology is there yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #40
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Lag on the N55 DCT is a mixture between the computer saving the clutches for longevity and fuel/throttle cutting to keep the car under control during an initial take off.

If you have ever turned the DTC completely off and then switched to manual/sport mode, jammed on the gas... you would know what I'm talking about. All you do is spin the tires like this.

If you have JB4, do some logs on your laptop. You will see where the throttle/fuel is cut when the pedal is actually being depressed all the way with the traction control on.
      08-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Btw... Alex your car and TX135i 's are both DCT right? Maybe its something in the way that trans behaves. I would talk to your dealer and ask if there are any SW updates to address this lack of response.
Yup, it is definitely DCT-related. I don't know what fixed the problem for me, and I can't believe this was "normal". I tried to reproduce the problem by putting it in D mode in town yesterday, but no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I sent a page long response to BMW corporate from the dealer survey link, and basically said I felt like nothing was going to be done by the dealer about the idle/stall problem or the initial throttle response problems. The dealer gave me no real hope other than "if it happens again, come back, and we don't know of any software updates". The corporate customer satisfaction folks called to ask a few questions, went thru each of the details in my letter, and said they would get with the technical folks to check it out. I advised that I had heard from other 135i owners about the same problems, and that I don't think this is an isolated thing. They said I should get a call n a week or so. Will let you guys know what happens. I'm beginning to feel like a whiner for bitching about such small issues, but it just seems like they need to look into it more seriously.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #43
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Installed my JB4 today, so far the throttle is behaving more like what I am used to. Might be still a slight delay, but it seems predictable now. We shall see if it continues.
      08-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So I sent a page long response to BMW corporate from the dealer survey link, and basically said I felt like nothing was going to be done by the dealer about the idle/stall problem or the initial throttle response problems. The dealer gave me no real hope other than "if it happens again, come back, and we don't know of any software updates". The corporate customer satisfaction folks called to ask a few questions, went thru each of the details in my letter, and said they would get with the technical folks to check it out. I advised that I had heard from other 135i owners about the same problems, and that I don't think this is an isolated thing. They said I should get a call n a week or so. Will let you guys know what happens. I'm beginning to feel like a whiner for bitching about such small issues, but it just seems like they need to look into it more seriously.
Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to see what they can do for you/us! Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0