BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I'm almost positive mine does not have this problem but I will try it out and report back.
My settings are as follows:

24 C
Not-auto climate control
Auto-recirculation
Center vents
A/C off

I get warm air. Not sure what the problem is. I'm not pushing the "Auto" button because I don't want the car messing with my climate. I know how I like it.

So I don't think I have the problem. Or at least I can get hot air from my center vents. Can someone say for sure if this is a problem with specific settings on all cars, or just on some cars with any settings, or what's the deal? For me I get hot air...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlico View Post
On cold mornings my 135 begins to produce warm air to the foot wells well within a mile of starting. Very soon after, warm air flows out of the center vents for perhaps one or two minutes then you can hear a change in the air flow and from that point on the center vents blow cool air. This is all with the system set to Auto and a temp of 68 or 69 degrees (F).
That's because it's working as it should.

In "auto" the system works to maintain the temp asked for, so it doesn't need to continuously blow warm/hot air.
Take notice of your home HVAC vents, especially modern units with dual stage systems. They generally don't blow warm/hot air continuously because once the asked for temp is reached the systems blow air that is close to the temp asked for.
In car "auto" systems will blow warm air until the asked for temp is reached and then it will blow air at the temp needed to maintain what you wanted.
It works as long as you don't want air from certain vents at certain temps as it does things "automatically".

Even in manual mode this system isn't quite fully manual as it still seems to use the temp setting you pick. If the ambient cabin temp is close to the temp you set. Let's say you set it to 75F, if the cabin temp is around 75F, then then the system will blow air closer to that temp, maybe even a bit cooler so as to maintain the set temp.
In a true manual mode if you set a warm air flow that same temp air will blow. That's why our systems seem to blow "cool" air even when we set it to temps we think should be warm or hot.
Maximum heat setting is pretty much needed if you want warm/hot air flow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
gloves and activate heated seats.. i always leave mine 70deg auto..
For some strange and STOOOOPID reason I decided on not getting heated seats this time around. I thought I wouldn't use them cause in my last 325i and A4 I didn't use them much. But, I must have been confused as I bought my 135i in June and just wasn't thinking right.
It's been cold and getting colder and I like to drive with my window down and the heat up, especially when having a smoke.
NOW, I realize my mistake.

Anyone else not thinking straight, GET THE HEATED SEATS!
They'll make you feel warmer overall and not just your butt and back.
Also, I should have considered the heated steering wheel too.
Does BMW include the heated seats and wheel in a "winter" pkg?
I don't recall that they did. I think the "winter" pkg was just heated seats and ski bag access.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Also, I should have considered the heated steering wheel too.
Does BMW include the heated seats and wheel in a "winter" pkg?
I don't recall that they did. I think the "winter" pkg was just heated seats and ski bag access.
As I recall, you can't get the heated wheel with the "sport" wheel. Sport wheel vs heated = sport for me.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0