BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Newbie here

Hi to all. I picked up my 1M on Weds this week and could not be happier with it. Without exaggeration it is in brand new condition, the previous and only owner was fastidious in looking after his car and drove just 7,500 miles in it. I had to pay top dollar, but well worth every penny.

I've had some awful cars and some very good ones ( 3.2 carrera, 993, 997s, heavily modified 996tt, 997tt, 968CS, M3's, RS3, RS4, AMG and other stuff) and I can honestly say that taking everything into account, this is likely the best i've owned.

I had a 135 (bmw's best kept secret!) for a couple of years and loved it, so i knew the 1M would be great, but already it's surpassed my expectations.

Cold but clear sunny day today in southern England, so i've taken a few photos....

Cheers
Nick

Name:  P1150178.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  P1150175.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  P1150164.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  P1150152.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  P1150143.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  P1150140.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  P1150129.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  P1130095.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  73.2 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Welcome!

Great idea for car security if not a bit cumbersome (posting that big ass warning sign in image 2, everywhere you park the car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick65 View Post
... I've had some awful cars and some very good ones ( 3.2 carrera, 993, 997s, heavily modified 996tt, 997tt, 968CS, M3's, RS3, RS4, AMG and other stuff) and I can honestly say that taking everything into account, this is likely the best i've owned.

I had a 135 (bmw's best kept secret!) for a couple of years and loved it, so i knew the 1M would be great, but already it's surpassed my expectations.

That put a smile on my face; Glad you like it that much in relation to so many other performance cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, the 1M is surprisingly spacious... that sign fits in the boot and the pack of dobermans in the back in case they can't read :O)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Great photos !

Congrats on the purchase
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks very much. I do have an admission to make... when the 1M was due out, i was in two minds between ordering that or the new RS3. At the time, a hatchback and 4wd suited my needs, but boy what a mistake! 20 minutes after driving the rs3 out of the showroom, the engine warning light came on. Having driven straight back, the BS i got was it needed a software update. Anyway, a couple of weeks later, driving out of my house the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. A long story, but essentially this happened a number of times despite Audis "best efforts" to fix it. It also had a fault with very noisy brakes (as did many of the rs3's). Anyway i sold it back after 6months. So now i've kind of righted a wrong :O)
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #6
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Welcome aboard Nick and congratulations on getting your 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Great photos. The feeling I had when driving my 1M is joy. Especially when I am pushing it along B roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Congrats! Your 1M looks very clean.

The hardest part of owning a 1M is not driving it every single minute of every day of the week. Enjoy!

Planning any modifications or keeping it stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post

The hardest part of owning a 1M is not driving it every single minute of every day of the week. Enjoy!

Hi, yes it is just sublime to drive. For me, i always know when i really like a car when i enjoy driving it slowly as well as fast.

Mods - that's a good question. I wonder if painting/wrapping the mirrors black, black grill, and maybe carbon front splitter would look good. The guy i sold my 135 to and who is now a good friend has got the JB4 on it. I've driven it, it's very impressive. Having said all of that, it's probably the only car i've ever owned and loved everything just as it is. So i actually think i may well keep it completely stock.

There's only one small thing i dislike - at around 2,500rpm the exhaust does have something of a drone. So around 70-75mph cruising speed it's slightly annoying. The obvious solution being to either speed up, or turn up the stereo
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick65
Quote:

Hi, yes it is just sublime to drive. For me, i always know when i really like a car when i enjoy driving it slowly as well as fast.

Mods - that's a good question. I wonder if painting/wrapping the mirrors black, black grill, and maybe carbon front splitter would look good. The guy i sold my 135 to and who is now a good friend has got the JB4 on it. I've driven it, it's very impressive. Having said all of that, it's probably the only car i've ever owned and loved everything just as it is. So i actually think i may well keep it completely stock.

There's only one small thing i dislike - at around 2,500rpm the exhaust does have something of a drone. So around 70-75mph cruising speed it's slightly annoying. The obvious solution being to either speed up, or turn up the stereo
Welcome and congrats on owning an amazing car! She's a beaut.!

Regarding the exhaust, yes, there is drone...super easy fix is to swap to a midpipe that has a resonator. The 1M midpipe had a dummy resonator

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779462

You could get away w the n55 mids, gain some HP as you would be eliminating the 2 low cell secondary cats...or just slap a non m e82 midpipe. The Maddad uses smaller resonators so it would likely be slightly louder than the n55 mids.

Enjoy the car in that fabulous cool sunny weather
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done
Quote:
Quote:

Regarding the exhaust, yes, there is drone...super easy fix is to swap to a midpipe that has a resonator. The 1M midpipe had a dummy resonator

You could get away w the n55 mids, gain some HP as you would be eliminating the 2 low cell secondary cats...or just slap a non m e82 midpipe. The Maddad uses smaller resonators so it would likely be slightly louder than the n55 mids.

I've found the MadDad to be perfect. I can cruise quietly yet still get it loud with full throttle. No drone.

I think it's a must-do adjustment for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, that's really helpful advice on the exhaust - thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done
Quote:
Quote:

I've found the MadDad to be perfect. I can cruise quietly yet still get it loud with full throttle. No drone.

I think it's a must-do adjustment for this car.
Agreed. Love the MadDad...no drone and a little more aggressive sound. Love mine too.
      01-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Sweet! White is next on my list.
Appreciate 0