BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 130i

Sellers remorse!

I have sold my 130i with the view to get something cheaper but the problem is everything else is terrible!
I bought the car as a demo so had 60K odd of debt and realised money could be better spent elsewhere.
So the hunt for a fun cheaper car began!

requirements:

1. steering feel and general handling
2. performance
3. build quality and engineering
4. sound
So far I have shortlisted a few cars in the 25-30 k price range and test drove a few.
Integra dc2 type r - for all the hype of these being one of the greatest performance cars ever, I was quite disappointed!

1st gen audi s3 - steering and clutch felt like mush, poor engine sound, not that quick, actually felt very loose and tired for an 03 car with 100K on the clock

markv golf gti - still above 30K which is impressive resale value for a seller but not for a buyer - but again, poor steering feel and not that quick or engaging, interior not very nice

wrx sti

interior no good, most have had the ring flogged out of them.

SO after all this I have decided to look for another 130i - second hand, low k's, think the resale makes it great value for the used buyer, could probably get one for under 40K.
These are a truly great drivers car, very nicely built. I am not concerned about poor rear seat room or boot room, but just want a car that feels alive when I drive it!
I have not driven an R32 but has anyie got any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansellpa View Post
I have sold my 130i with the view to get something cheaper but the problem is everything else is terrible!
I bought the car as a demo so had 60K odd of debt and realised money could be better spent elsewhere.
So the hunt for a fun cheaper car began!

requirements:

1. steering feel and general handling
2. performance
4. sound
So far I have shortlisted a few cars in the 25-30 k price range and test drove a few.
Integra dc2 type r - for all the hype of these being one of the greatest performance cars ever, I was quite disappointed!

1st gen audi s3 - steering and clutch felt like mush, poor engine sound, not that quick, actually felt very loose and tired for an 03 car with 100K on the clock

markv golf gti - still above 30K which is impressive resale value for a seller but not for a buyer - but again, poor steering feel and not that quick or engaging, interior not very nice

wrx sti

interior no good, most have had the ring flogged out of them.

SO after all this I have decided to look for another 130i - second hand, low k's, think the resale makes it great value for the used buyer, could probably get one for under 40K.
These are a truly great drivers car, very nicely built. I am not concerned about poor rear seat room or boot room, but just want a car that feels alive when I drive it!
I have not driven an R32 but has anyie got any other suggestions?
As a person who's about to give up his second WRX for the 125i which i pick up on Saturday, I would say the quality on them is second-to-none. My first WRX was second-hand, then that got stolen & burnt out, and used the insurance pay to assist towards a demo WRX.

I wasn't disappointed with either.

It will be tough to get a good car at that price. However, you should check out the current deal @ Mitsubishi on the Ralliart VRX Wagon. Turbo 2.0 4, and less than 40k. One of my not-so-close friends has one, and he says it handles very, very well. I'm not sure about quality though - never asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

I have a Golf VI TDI Sport with DSG box as a run around vehicle and it complements the 135i. It has plenty of grunt and handles very well the DSG is excellent, also has electronic chassis control which works a treat. I picked it up for 37K brand new, the build quality is the same or better than BMW.
      08-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep

No doubt they are well screwed together and reliable, a friend of mine has an 01 sti with 160k on the clock that has done about 20 trackdays in the last few years and is bullet proof, still has the original clutch.
But in terms of refinement and a nice interior it is a bit cheap
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansellpa View Post
in terms of refinement and a nice interior it is a bit cheap
The current WRX's will make you vomit when you get inside - when I was looking at the WRX Sedan, Audi A4 and the 125i, the WRX was first off my list because of the shitty interior.

If you had the money, an STi Spec R is just fantastic inside.

Still... If you're going to buy an STi, you're not buying for comfort. You're buying it for the engine, for the AWD and the driving experience and raw fun of the machine.

You don't buy a WRX or an STi for the cosmetics.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

new 3 mps?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep

So what is wrong with another 130i then? might just look for a good second hand one!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Welcome to my world with a twist.

I should have replaced my 130 in Feb this year and just can't find anything that makes me want to shift.

Even looked at cars up to 100K and still not overly excited about changing.

The 130 is not a perfect car but is definately has some good things that other cars do not.

Good luck in you journey!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Quote:
requirements:

1. steering feel and general handling (this excludes Audi and Golf to some extent)
2. performance (this excludes the Honda as it has no torque)
4. sound
(Honda can sound good with an aftermarket air filter once it gets in the VTEC yo but none of those 4 cyl engines will give you the same sound quality as the 130i.
1.Steering feel you will likely want after driving the 130i will be hard to get from most FWD or AWD so you want a RWD, good handling is a result of good balance which 130i will have.
2. You will want a turbo charged 4, or a NA 6 or 8 cyl
3. You will need to spend more than 30K to get good quality and something not run into the ground already.
4. Good sound hard to get from turbo 4s, which leaves you with a NA 6 or 8 cyl.

So for the money 130i (or another 6 cyl BMW) seems like a good fit.......

R32 is a nice car and engine makes a great noise, has better quality interior (IMHO) goes as hard as 130i, has stealth appeal as long as it not blue in colour, steering feel not as good as 130, it handles well for what it is but again if you are looking for that delicate handling balance or want to go sideways you know the answer.

Last edited by dk130i; 08-06-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK - it is decided -130i - second hand!

Wild card........what about an imported jap spec civic type r - 02 model 155kw, 1150kg

a bit overpriced but look like fun at approx $24k
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, I know nothing about imported Hondas, from what I read they have LSD and being a FWD they are not going to give the steering feel which you have as your number 1 priority.
But if you stick with a 130 as a bonus you get to reuse your custom exhaust provided you haven't sold it in the meantime..

EDIT: Thinking about the Honda, it is 7 years old, it would have likely be flogged back in Japan as it is not a car that people buy to trundle down to the shops in, no local support, no warranty, potential problem with spares (?),etc...

Last edited by dk130i; 08-06-2009 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

try a Cooper S if you haven't already - you should be able to get a very nice 2005 or newer Supercharged model for under 30k.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

The 130 is not a perfect car but is definately has some good things that other cars do not.
I have my own list of potential mods but curious to hear what are the imperfections on the 130i that you would like to improve and what are the aspects that you appreciate most?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Did not like the cooper s - lots of fun, but the ride was pretty bad.

Things I don't like about the 130 are pretty limited
- mainly to do with rear seat room.
- was a bit expensive
- I drive, which was far too distracting.
mine had gorgeous 18 inch performance wheels but had 245 fronts and 265 rears - so perhaps over tyred and not as playful as perhaps one on regular rubber

thats it - needed to be louder, so will refit the exhaust as a start, but still needs more sound.

What mods are you thinking
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Do you need four seats or can you get by with two? Mazda MX-5 SP. This little beasty is an absolute blast to drive. Very rare though.

Or what about one of these? Nissan 200SX Spec S. It controversially won MOTOR Performance Car of the Year in April 2001.
      08-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
My vote goes for either the 130i, Cooper S or MX-5.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

The thing I love about the 130i is the low down torque. Pulls in any gear and any rev!

Also, with the RWD, it'll be hard to get something with similar handling. How about an XR5 Turbo Hatch? Not too much torque steer and you can change the sway bars to increase oversteer bias - it'll handle pretty similar to the 130i. You can get one in your price range easy.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

A couple of my mates recently bought new cars. One bought an 06 wrx for 24k, great condition inside out and it's very practical. Probably not something I would drive though. If you're not worried about having a backseat I would consider a 350z. My mate picked one up last week for 26k, great condition and still a head-turner.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As mentioend I have a 130 and the GF has a 2005 Mini Cooper S.
I have to say in standard form I would not suggest the Mini but I just had a 15% pulley installed and it really does tranform the performance and drivability.
One of the big problems I always had with the Mini was the lag, you could really get yourself into some sticky situations if you did give it some rev off the line. Oh and we got rid of the Runcraps a long time ago and replaced with some Team Dynamics and good rubber.

One thing to remember with the late R53 some had LSD

If you can do without back doors and can find a nice one I would look suggest looking at it and putting a pulley on immediately. Lots of various options (sunroof, Satnav, cruise, DSC etc) and a great track machine.

BTW: It is hindsight but you should have look at my 4 sale when I was thinking of selling my 130 (bargain) but changed my mind now and will convert to a track bitch end of the year. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #20
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

old 350Z?

Other suggestion above all good.

Not sure why you are disappointed about a DC2... it is not as powerful now but back in the days it is one of the greatest. I wish I had mine back now... should not have sold it...
      08-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #21
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
problem with hondas is that their peak power comes at the very redline. That means you'll have to flog that engine each and every time you drive, that is fine most of the time but does not compare with the effortless feel of an engine with lots of torque.
Mazda3 MPS was a good suggestion, for a cheaper car with above average performance. Golf R32... mmm stick with 130i... 350z will have more creaks and squeaks than your old man's falcon... rest i haven't driven.
cheers
      08-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #22
ansellpa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
old 350Z?

Other suggestion above all good.

Not sure why you are disappointed about a DC2... it is not as powerful now but back in the days it is one of the greatest. I wish I had mine back now... should not have sold it...
I think that is what the problem was - it comes with such huge expectations that when it does not deliver it is a dud.

That seems to be a common thread with the cars I have bought, if i build it up in my head to be so good, it can't measure up

Was going to get a polo gti - powerful etc, got a fiesta xr4 instead (which I now use as a track car)

put simply I can't think of a better car than the 130 for me.
Appreciate 0