BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #67
fuzzball90
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Pretty sure its a federal mandate.
Adding a little bit of ethanol to gasoline actually reduces harmful emissions (like the sulfur dioxides) by up to 50%, with only a small decrease in fuel economy, around 1-2 mpg. That's why it is added.

I work in O&G and have been told this by coworkers who work in that area.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #68
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

It's a regional thing. In the Northeast US, the base fuel is the same only the detergent additives vary between brands as there is only 1 pipeline to service the region.

The Colonial Pipeline

Starting in Houston, with stops in Knox Springs, Louisiana; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Greensboro, NC; Richmond and Herndon, Virginia; and continuing on to Philadelphia, is the 2,887-mile main line of the Colonial Pipeline. This is the only artery of finished petroleum products reaching from the Gulf into the Northeast.

http://www.wearethepractitioners.com...eline-capacity
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #69
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm pretty sure areas where the EPA has deemed a smog zone or has low air quality to be required to have 10% Ethanol fuels. As part of the requirement to "encourage" compliance, the Feds will withhold Federal Highway funding to States that don't comply.

It's pretty telling how bad the Ethanol crap is when a manufacturer like Husqvarna provides an incentive to customers to not use the Ethanol crap in their products. Husqvarna says they will extend the warranty on their products by an additional year if you use their premixed fuel that is Ethanol free. You just have to show a receipt at the time of purchase of the product that has 3 cans of the fuel.
Not sure about the EPA rules, but we have the same laws here, but shell gets around it because the "average" must be a specific number, so they put higher amounts in the lower octanes so they can make premium with 0%.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #70
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

When they came out with Top Tier fuels, premium brands like Chevron and Shell were already (and still do) exceed the detergent standards. Don't skimp on gas. While all gas is the same, the additives are what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #71
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Can you guy's in the U.S. still get non-ethanol gas? In Canada only Shell91 and Esso91 are ethanol free so those are the only fuels I use. Esso also sells to other outlets here like "Canadian Tire" and Loblaws gas bars so those are OK too. When in doubt I ask where they get their gas. If, as someone said earlier, they buy wherever it's cheapest I'd pass on that. Having said all that if all U.S. fuel has ethanol I guess the choice is less critical.
There are stations in my area that sell ethanol free gas. For a premium of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #72
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

No it's not. I work in the petro industry doing repairs/maintenance of gas stations which include Costco and many other banners, and I don't buy it.
      07-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #73
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
No it's not. I work in the petro industry doing repairs/maintenance of gas stations which include Costco and many other banners, and I don't buy it.
Interesting. Can you elaborate some more, since you work in the industry. Really curious about this topic.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #74
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
Interesting. Can you elaborate some more, since you work in the industry. Really curious about this topic.

Thanks!
Not publicly, feel free to PM me with some questions though.
      07-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #75
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Maybe it's just me, but listening to a group of BMW (costing ~$50K) owners quibble about maybe $2 per tankful seems a bit odd. Is it really that big a deal? Most people spend $200+ a year at Starbucks. Seems like if you can afford a BMW, you can afford to use brand-name fuel.

On the other hand, the info about the pipelines and additives is good information. Personally, Shell has always been my favorite, and I've been driving 50+ years now. Unfortunately, in my part of NC, there aren't any Shell stations close to where I live, and driving 12 miles to the nearest one seems counterproductive. I could drive 40 miles down to South Carolina and get gas 35 cents less than here (SC has no gas tax), but that's even more counterproductive unless I am making a run to the Myrtle Beach Costco liquor store.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #76
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Honestly though, it appears they now use their own additive package, and it is Top Tier rated, so seems good enough. If you don't have the ridiculous line ups, then why not? More money for tires!

This is what the line ups around here look like all the time:

Although, I do find it funny when I hear people in the US complain about gas prices, you guys are pretty much driving for free down there. Filled up in Syracuse on the weekend with Sunoco 93, almost laughed when I saw how cheap it was.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #77
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Honestly though, it appears they now use their own additive package, and it is Top Tier rated, so seems good enough. If you don't have the ridiculous line ups, then why not? More money for tires!

This is what the line ups around here look like all the time:

Although, I do find it funny when I hear people in the US complain about gas prices, you guys are pretty much driving for free down there. Filled up in Syracuse on the weekend with Sunoco 93, almost laughed when I saw how cheap it was.
+1 MMT

That scene has never occured at the Costco 1.5 miles from me. I have never had to wait. But, our Coscto has 6 islands.
For me it's a win win. And there is nothing wrong with spending 20 a gallon less especially if it's Top Tier!
I'm always looking to save money where ever & whatever. This car may have cost me $42K when I bought it new but to keep it is costing me a few dollars (or maybe more than a few dollars) even using a Indy shop. So if I can save money buying gas etc... why not.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 07-03-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0