BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
DaveSakky135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Montego Blue

Xenon Headlight Problems

So long story short the dealer left the back of my headlights open and water got in and fried a bunch of stuff. I freaked out and the best they agreed to do was parts and labor for $1000.

My active headlight failure light is on and my left low beam is out.

They are saying i need to replace the following:

Left/Right SMC module 63-11-7-180-829
Xenon bulb/Ignitor 63-21-7-217-509
Xenon Control Unit 63-11-7-180-050

Where are these parts located aside from the lights? Can i save an install myself? I am a bit confused between an AHL module and the SMC. From what i understand there is an SMC under each light? and the AHL is inside the car? And what is the xenon Control Unit location?

Thanks,

DAVID
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
DaveSakky135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From what i understand is that if the control unit went out, that no lights would work. But its only my left light now working.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Dave,

You can definitely save yourself the installation time if you have a couple of hours... check out this thread.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219345

It helps if you have a buddy, but it is simply about taking the bumper off and then sliding in the new parts. Couldn't be easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
DaveSakky135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome! Iv done a bunch of installs from superchargers to HID angel eyes in my 1. I was just skeptical because i couldn't find anything regarding the module placement. I am also getting confused between the AHL module, Xenon control Unit, and SMC module.

How many of each do we have?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSakky135 View Post
Awesome! Iv done a bunch of installs from superchargers to HID angel eyes in my 1. I was just skeptical because i couldn't find anything regarding the module placement. I am also getting confused between the AHL module, Xenon control Unit, and SMC module.

How many of each do we have?
Check the diagrams in the above post as they will provide a definite answer. I believe that there is one Xenon control unit and AHL module per headlight.

What is the SMC?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Hondamxracer51
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i dct zmp

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
if you have adaptive xenon lights there is 3 major parts. xenon control unit, bulb and ignitor are together in 1, and stepper motor control(smc). the smc is what controls the aiming of the lights(adaptive) they are all located on the headlight. the xenon control unit is usually in the middle on the bottom and the smc is off to the side usually. i work for a dealer and even our techs have trouble diagnosing headlights. if any one of those things go out it could cause a fault or the whole light not to work. one way i have found the easiest way to find the problem is to swap parts side to side and see when the problem transfers. from what ive seen is it probably doesnt need all of them unless they all got water in them. the stepper motor and xenon control units are external but they have a seal between them and the light. if water got in the light it could have burned out the actual headlight where it attaches to the control units. i would pull it apart and look for water damage or burned plugs and try swapping parts side to side. the part numbers are the same left and right for all the parts. if u need help you can PM me any questions and i will try to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondamxracer51 View Post
if you have adaptive xenon lights there is 3 major parts. xenon control unit, bulb and ignitor are together in 1, and stepper motor control(smc). the smc is what controls the aiming of the lights(adaptive) they are all located on the headlight. the xenon control unit is usually in the middle on the bottom and the smc is off to the side usually. i work for a dealer and even our techs have trouble diagnosing headlights. if any one of those things go out it could cause a fault or the whole light not to work. one way i have found the easiest way to find the problem is to swap parts side to side and see when the problem transfers. from what ive seen is it probably doesnt need all of them unless they all got water in them. the stepper motor and xenon control units are external but they have a seal between them and the light. if water got in the light it could have burned out the actual headlight where it attaches to the control units. i would pull it apart and look for water damage or burned plugs and try swapping parts side to side. the part numbers are the same left and right for all the parts. if u need help you can PM me any questions and i will try to help you out.
Wow, great post! Learned something new.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Siddy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135I

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my 2009 BMW135i Xenon headlight. The control module (ALC) is corroded & stopped working. It costs $550 at the dealer.

I don't know How it got corroded & What are my best options. Can I ask BMW if this is covered under warranty ?

~ Siddy
Appreciate 0