BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

2011 Autocross Season - Event 3: Revenge of the Plow

Top 4 guys are national level competitors in fully prepped cars.

Course: We got bumped from our usual lot and had to set up a course on the fly . . . ended up being quite tight and technical. Lots of sand/dirt/standing water on the course that we had to work around. Temps in lower 60's on Sunday.

Car: 135i. 245 R6s on stock size Breytons. Free front camber mod plus Hotchkis front sway. Otherwise, stock. 40 pounds front/44 pounds back.

Notes:
-First event with a functioning eLSD plus slicks (previously wasn't working due to broken steering angle sensor). Car definitely hooks up better . . . I'd get a few feet of tire spin, then WARP DRIVE ACTIVE!

-First two runs were a clear case of not using enough right foot (ie, wasn't driving fast enough). Chalked up my best time on my 3rd run. After that, any attempts to go faster were rewarded with debilitating on-throttle understeer. Culminating in this:

Wish they had one of my fast runs recorded. Not shown: having to drive over the grass dividers to dislodge the cone.

-Had several people ask me if I hit the cone on purpose, or it I was trying to avoid the water. I was actually trying to jab the brakes and rock the wheel, in attempt to juke around the cone in the box. Couldn't quite make it happen on that run.

-Need some suspension love, stat. Front stiffness needs to go up, bad. Also, notice how the car hops sideways when entering the slalom . . . odd.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

It's fun to see that little car take off like a rocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Putting on Koni or AST DA shocks will help a lot and still be DS legal. You can increase the compression damping a bunch over stock and help control the roll and dive. The DA's should help a bunch.
      03-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
Putting on Koni or AST DA shocks will help a lot and still be DS legal. You can increase the compression damping a bunch over stock and help control the roll and dive. The DA's should help a bunch.
Does AST make a strut replacement that will work with the stock springs?

Coilovers are technically legal as long as they are stock height.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Yes and no from what i've heard. I think Terry @ Vorshlag mentioned that they *have* done it but don't do it right now from lack of demand and pricey machining work.

Though, check out eurocharged.com, they're based in chicago and at least have for their "4200" series a listing that says "SCCA-Stock legal" for their perch listing. All these labels could be wrong, i haven't been to the site in awhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfitano View Post
Yes and no from what i've heard. I think Terry @ Vorshlag mentioned that they *have* done it but don't do it right now from lack of demand and pricey machining work.

Though, check out eurocharged.com, they're based in chicago and at least have for their "4200" series a listing that says "SCCA-Stock legal" for their perch listing. All these labels could be wrong, i haven't been to the site in awhile.
Yeah, I saw that too . . . mysterious.

I have a client/fellow racer willing to barter a set of new Koni Yellows for some web work (he gets a discount and I come out even after taxes). I'm probably just going that that route.

I'm wondering if full stiff front, then leaving the stock shocks in the rear might be the way to go.
Appreciate 0