BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

FYI..... Gas on base in Germany is the exact same used off post!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
From bmwusa.com ( http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx )

Required maintenance work or services should be performed for your vehicle by your authorized BMW center.

BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is recommended for scheduled engine oil changes.

BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil* (BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866)

* Does not apply to M vehicles - see below

BMW recommends that you check your engine oil level whenever you add fuel to your vehicle.

If you need to add oil between oil changes and BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is unavailable, you may top up the oil level with one of the following approved synthetic oils. For information on checking your engine oil level refer to your vehicle's Owner's Manual.

The oils listed below meet BMW's Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in BMW Passenger vehicles and SAVs in the US market with gasoline engines.

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher.

The choice of the right SAE grade is based on the climatic conditions in the region in which you normally drive your BMW.

To best determine which SAE grade is best suited for your vehicle, contact an authorized BMW center.

The following is the only recommended and approved synthetic oil for BMW M (Motorsport) vehicles in the US market with gasoline engines, at the present time.

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Synthetic Oils for BMW M vehicles equipped with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engines:

Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil

Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420)

If Castrol High Performance Synthetic Oil is not available and you need to add oil between oil changes, only use synthetic oils with the following specifications for M vehicles:

Viscosity - preferred SAE 10W-60

Alternative - SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-50 or SAE 10W-50

Use only oils with an API rating of SJ/CF, SK/CF or higher.

The following is a listing of synthetic oils recommended and approved for use in the BMW B7 ALPINA in the US market:

BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil (BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866)

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Oil
      04-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemBm View Post
FYI..... Gas on base in Germany is the exact same used off post!
Actually it is NOT. (sorry for the late reply back)...

While both come from Esso DE, the fuels sold on base all have ethanol blends. Even SuperPlus. While the fuel sold at Esso gas stations in DE, their SuperPlus has NO ethanol in it.

The fuel(s) sold on base have a different supply chain than the fuels that your local Esso gets. Our fuels (sold on base) come via Hamburg refinery, direct to the Esso distributor and then onto being sold on base. We get the so called: "scraps" - that is why ALL our grades of fuels have atleast 5% ethonal. Plus our regular gas is E10 (10% ethonal) blend(but thats just like the Germans get as well).

My point is... IF you want good fuel, your better off buying SuperPlus off post at Esso. It is not diluted with ANY ethanol. One other note... the gas stations off post get inspected by the German TUV far more often than our on base gas stations do. Plus they have better filters in their pumps than ours do. Most on post gas stations only test their pump volume(how much goes into your tank) once per year. Off post they pumps get tested every more often than that!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Sorry for the rez:

When I was in Germany for ED earlier this year (July 2013), Esso only had E10 SuperPlus (98 RON). Same story at the Agip I went to along the Autobahn. I heard Aral still sells 98 RON E0. It sounds like the Europeans are getting more ethanol in their gas?

Over here in Texas, you *can* get E0 premium (93 RON+MON/2), but you have to be out of the populated counties. Here in DFW that means not Dallas, Denton, Tarrant, and Collin counties (aka a far drive).

Off topic OI know, but I suppose gas and oil are all related somehow
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
Sorry for the rez:

When I was in Germany for ED earlier this year (July 2013), Esso only had E10 SuperPlus (98 RON). Same story at the Agip I went to along the Autobahn. I heard Aral still sells 98 RON E0. It sounds like the Europeans are getting more ethanol in their gas?

Over here in Texas, you *can* get E0 premium (93 RON+MON/2), but you have to be out of the populated counties. Here in DFW that means not Dallas, Denton, Tarrant, and Collin counties (aka a far drive).

Off topic I know, but I suppose gas and oil are all related somehow

I think you might have been confused. The Germans really are not buying much E10 fuel over here. Most gas stations you will see E10(Super 95) and E05(Super 95) with only one or two pumps offering SuperPlus 98 octane. SuperPlus at most every gas station in Germany will have NO Ethanol in it. ie: E00. The mid grade E05 Super is 95 octane but has only 5% ethanol.

Gasoline and Oil are related somewhat... but it is the Sulfur content that is more important when selecting an approved oil brand. I think BMW knows a thing or two about "testing" oils for use in the specialized alloy engines they build.

Here is what your typical Esso pumps will look like...
Name:  ESSO    IMG_1550.jpg
Views: 5360
Size:  89.8 KB

Sulfur free gas and the new E10 fuel in Germany…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485903
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep

Huh, now thats interesting. I most definitely did not see any E0 SuperPlus at the Esso I went to (it's a few blocks east of the Welt), but perhaps I picked the pump that doesn't have it?

I also don't recall what Agip had exactly, but there were about 5 or 6 grades of gas/diesel at each pump.

Won't matter much to me, pretty sure my 1er is going to be stuck drinking E10 for the rest of its life anyways...

Edit: I say that because I was on the look out for ethanol free gas while on ED
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Huh, now thats interesting. I most definitely did not see any E0 SuperPlus at the Esso I went to (it's a few blocks east of the Welt), but perhaps I picked the pump that doesn't have it?

I also don't recall what Agip had exactly, but there were about 5 or 6 grades of gas/diesel at each pump.

Won't matter much to me, pretty sure my 1er is going to be stuck drinking E10 for the rest of its life anyways...

Edit: I say that because I was on the look out for ethanol free gas while on ED
If you bought SuperPlus while in Germany... it was Ethanol free. I have never seen Ethanol(added) in the SuperPlus grade fuel. And I think by German law they would need to inform the consumer.

Some gas stations will not have/offer SuperPlus fuel. Sometimes you see signs in German saying... "our Super is SuperPlus". But sometimes you do not. But I would say for 90% of the gas stations... you will see at least one pump that offers SuperPlus fuel. And always at a SHELL or ARAL you will see the V-Power(100 octane) or Ultimate(102 Octane) at Aral.

Since our US Forces tax free fuel cards only work at Esso's... I am very familiar with the various Esso stations and what grades or fuel they offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep

Anyways, back on topic - do you know where I can read up on some concrete proof of what makes LL-04 bad for US cars? I've heard it kicked around that it's the sulphur, but any documents or bulletins offering a solid explanation?

Only asking because it turns out the indy shop the parents use uses BG 5W-30 (which is LL-04). Wondering what damage/risks have happened because of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Anyways, back on topic - do you know where I can read up on some concrete proof of what makes LL-04 bad for US cars? I've heard it kicked around that it's the sulphur, but any documents or bulletins offering a solid explanation?

Only asking because it turns out the indy shop the parents use uses BG 5W-30 (which is LL-04). Wondering what damage/risks have happened because of that.
Thats kind of right. and LL-1 oil is for the US market with high sulfur fuels. And LL-4 is for the EU market with no to little sulfur in its fuels. But what is also confusing is that the LL-4 rating is also spec'd for a lot of diesel engines.

This is the only document I found at my German BMW dealer...

BMW approved motor oils... aka THE LIST!!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478344

You can also find a lot of info on Bob the Oil Guy's forum...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm

and...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2220593
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #32
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
is the mobil1 0W40 okay for the N52 in Canada? 5W30 with the LL-01 rating is hard to find here other than at the dealer. Any ideas?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
is the mobil1 0W40 okay for the N52 in Canada? 5W30 with the LL-01 rating is hard to find here other than at the dealer. Any ideas?
Yes. Just look at the back of the bottle/container. Should have LL-01 on it. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a good oil for our cars. Castrol 0W-40 (and 0W-30, GC) will both work as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #34
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
The only Mobil-1 oil that is LL-1 rated is their 0w40 European Blend. Its in a black bottle/label.

I prefer to use Castrol Edge FST 0w40 because the engine runs so much cooler and quieter. Really its the engine sounding less metalic that sold me on Castrol oil in my N54. For my e39 I still use Mobil-1's 0w40 though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

ELF, best oil i have ever used! In my old 1.8T it was the only oil that would not burn up. And in the 135...she seems to love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The only Mobil-1 oil that is LL-1 rated is their 0w40 European Blend. Its in a black bottle/label.

I prefer to use Castrol Edge FST 0w40 because the engine runs so much cooler and quieter. Really its the engine sounding less metalic that sold me on Castrol oil in my N54. For my e39 I still use Mobil-1's 0w40 though.
Interesting, so only difference was brand and you noticed less valvetrain noise? That’s pretty sweet.

I won’t get on my soap box because everyone has a “favorite” oil, but Rotella and Motul XCESS have treated me very well. Wish they made 8100 in a 0W for cold starts but other than that it has been fantastic and every blackstone report has come back clean.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #37
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Unless you are getting an oil on sale/closeout, Mobil 1 0W-40 is dollar-for-dollar the best oil you can for a BMW LL-01 approval (it has more OEM approvals than just about any oil other than Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40). $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart is tough to beat for such a premium oil. I got some Castrol 0W-30 for closeout at $3/quart at Autozone, but those deals are hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #38
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Just visited the castrol edge site and they say to use 0w30 or 5w30 for the 328 n52. Will 0w40 be okay with the n52? And Walmart up here in Canada has the edge oil and it costs $9/liter.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #39
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just visited the castrol edge site and they say to use 0w30 or 5w30 for the 328 n52. Will 0w40 be okay with the n52? And Walmart up here in Canada has the edge oil and it costs $9/liter.
Yes, Castrol Edge w/Syntec (black bottle) 0W-40 is LL-01 approved and good for the N52. Should say Made in Germany or Made in Belgium on the back.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Here is the latest LL-I approved oil list...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oil_LongLife-I oils NA list.pdf (174.5 KB, 1159 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #41
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
I think it depends on each country.

In Italy they use Agip.

In Germany, the gas sold on Base is delivered thru an Esso supplier. That doesn't really mean it is an Esso gasoline and additive package.

I prefer to buy my gas from the local Esso station down the street (1 km) for a few reasons. I feel that the fuel sold at Esso off post is of a higher quality. Better pumps, better filters and additive package - and better upkeep on their pumps. Plus on my base they/we only sell (one) Super grade. The TUV inspects the Esso gas station. On base they do not have ANY compliance inspections. TUV test every gas station for volume and sulfur content. There are TUV decals with the inspection date stamped on each pump at the German Esso's. No inspection on base gas pumps!

I drive down the street to Esso gas station and tank with SuperPlus 98 octane gas.

IF you are stationed over here... I would highly suggest for you to try using either the Castrol sold via your BMW dealer or use Castrol's Edge RS 0w40 LL-4 oil. The engine really runs soooo much smoother (& cooler!) with this stuff vs the Mobil-1 0w40 LL1 oil. I always used M1 oil in my past cars... but I bit the bullet for one oil change and I will not go back to M1. The Castrol is that good. I can get the GC for 10 euros per liter with a VAT form.

Btw... in Germany they are switching over to Bio gasoline (E10) Ethonal with 10%. This is bad news! All super grade gasolines will have more ethonal blended into the gas. ONLY SuperPlus will remain "pure" gasoline. At the Esson in BA I know they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday for new pumps to be installed. Bio gas will be phased in all over Germany in this month of Feb, 2011.

http://www.bmu.de/files/pdfs/allgeme...att_e10_bf.pdf

Dackel
I was asking the manager of the local AAFES Esso station here in Hohenfels and he told me that the fuel sold inside base is the same exact one sold off base for enviro mental reasons. The fuel in Europe has a lower sulfur content that most other countries. He told me the the fuels stations are built by Esso and are inspected regularly by the German Environmental and Commerce Offices. All the fuels are subsidized by the US government for SOFA status employees and must comply with German Law for use and disposal. I think this calls for LL04 oils to be used in our cars for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #42
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
I was asking the manager of the local AAFES Esso station here in Hohenfels and he told me that the fuel sold inside base is the same exact one sold off base for enviro mental reasons. The fuel in Europe has a lower sulfur content that most other countries. He told me the the fuels stations are built by Esso and are inspected regularly by the German Environmental and Commerce Offices. All the fuels are subsidized by the US government for SOFA status employees and must comply with German Law for use and disposal. I think this calls for LL04 oils to be used in our cars for the time being.
Lies and more lies.

The gas stations on any US Base in Germany were built by IMCOM, designed by a German contracted company and the costs split by AAFES and the Base(local). AAFES has to pay for the building costs over a set time table. The only thing that comes from ESSO DE is the delivery of the fuel and billing of the fuel. But the fuel itself comes from the main refinery in Hamburg - from what I know. Its the scraps of various fuels held in Hamburg. Then sent to the regional refineries - for delivery to various AAFES fuel stations. You won't see the same trucks that delivery on Base delivering fuel to an ESSO.

The fuel that is sold on base comes from a fuel depot. The only thing that is ESSO is the bill. The fuel comes from Hamburg thru the local fuel depot - delivered by a no name truck. The fuel that is sold on base has no additive package as well - unlike the fuel sold off base at any ESSO(they do have an additive package, to prevent deposits).

The pumps on base are rarely tested for quantity or quality by the German TUV. I think every quarter, AAFES or the IMCOM will check the quantity of fuel coming out of the pump vs what the pump "bill" or liters measured shows on the pump. IF you look at any of the pumps on base you do not see any TÜV stickers now anything from the German Amt(for measuring fluids). The only thing AAFES will do is pump five liters of fuel into a "measured jug" and check the pumps that way. Its nothing like how the German pumps are tested out on the economy.

Next time you see a gas truck on post, making a delivery... ask the driver. Most drivers will tell you the truth. Most of the managers have no idea about the fuel quality of the fuel sold on base. Its simply an convenience factors for the soldiers and families on base.

Fuel sold at any German gas station has NO(!) sulfur content. As in none!! On any German gas pump they will say: "schwefelfrei" meaning sulfur free! ALSO if you look at the decals on the pumps at any ESSO or any other German gas station... you will always see a DIN number on a big round decal telling you the fuel type and a small (blue)round decal from that area's(Bayern or what ever German state you are in, Hessen, etc) for that area's AMT(county office) of measuring - and when that pump was last tested. You will never see that on any of the pumps on Base!!

This is why I NEVER buy any fuel on base. The fuel is different. Most people are just to lazy or scared to travel off base and buy their fuel at an ESSO. Or too lazy to put money on their ESSO fuel card(s). lol

large white DIN decals showing you what the fuel grade is and sulfur and ethanol content is.
Name:  ESSO pumps  IMG_1550.jpg
Views: 3496
Size:  89.8 KB

a closer look - SuperPlus 98 octane
Name:  ESSO pump  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 3477
Size:  59.6 KB

Look to the lower right of the pump display... those blue decals are from the AMT telling you when this pump was last inspected/tested/calibrated. Something you never see at the pumps on Base.
Name:  ESSO  blue AMT measuring seals IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  81.4 KB

PS: Also check out this old post about Ethanol E10 fuel sold in Germany. Maybe Elsabor67 will chime in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486131
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #43
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Lies and more lies.

The gas stations on any US Base in Germany were built by IMCOM, designed by a German contracted company and the costs split by AAFES and the Base(local). AAFES has to pay for the building costs over a set time table. The only thing that comes from ESSO DE is the delivery of the fuel and billing of the fuel. But the fuel itself comes from the main refinery in Hamburg - from what I know. Its the scraps of various fuels held in Hamburg. Then sent to the regional refineries - for delivery to various AAFES fuel stations. You won't see the same trucks that delivery on Base delivering fuel to an ESSO.

The fuel that is sold on base comes from a fuel depot. The only thing that is ESSO is the bill. The fuel comes from Hamburg thru the local fuel depot - delivered by a no name truck. The fuel that is sold on base has no additive package as well - unlike the fuel sold off base at any ESSO(they do have an additive package, to prevent deposits).

The pumps on base are rarely tested for quantity or quality by the German TUV. I think every quarter, AAFES or the IMCOM will check the quantity of fuel coming out of the pump vs what the pump "bill" or liters measured shows on the pump. IF you look at any of the pumps on base you do not see any TÜV stickers now anything from the German Amt(for measuring fluids). The only thing AAFES will do is pump five liters of fuel into a "measured jug" and check the pumps that way. Its nothing like how the German pumps are tested out on the economy.

Next time you see a gas truck on post, making a delivery... ask the driver. Most drivers will tell you the truth. Most of the managers have no idea about the fuel quality of the fuel sold on base. Its simply an convenience factors for the soldiers and families on base.

Fuel sold at any German gas station has NO(!) sulfur content. As in none!! On any German gas pump they will say: "schwefelfrei" meaning sulfur free! ALSO if you look at the decals on the pumps at any ESSO or any other German gas station... you will always see a DIN number on a big round decal telling you the fuel type and a small (blue)round decal from that area's(Bayern or what ever German state you are in, Hessen, etc) for that area's AMT(county office) of measuring - and when that pump was last tested. You will never see that on any of the pumps on Base!!

This is why I NEVER buy any fuel on base. The fuel is different. Most people are just to lazy or scared to travel off base and buy their fuel at an ESSO. Or too lazy to put money on their ESSO fuel card(s). lol

large white DIN decals showing you what the fuel grade is and sulfur and ethanol content is.
Attachment 1371047

a closer look - SuperPlus 98 octane
Attachment 1371048

Look to the lower right of the pump display... those blue decals are from the AMT telling you when this pump was last inspected/tested/calibrated. Something you never see at the pumps on Base.
Attachment 1371049

PS: Also check out this old post about Ethanol E10 fuel sold in Germany. Maybe Elsabor67 will chime in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486131

Damn... Personally I fuel up in my local Esso station because it is literally next to my house. But there have been times where I to have to fuel on base. The only vehicle that acted weird with fuels from both on and off base was my 2001 Lexus IS300 which by the way never behave strange prior to bringing it to Germany. The manual states it could be fueled with e10 but for some reason not the one offered from either esso station. The fuel delivery truck is labeled Esso by the way...at just the one that comes to Hohenfels. Not sure about the others

Yeah... I find it strange that esso or aafes would go though all that trouble just to give up sub par fuel when it would be easier to just offer the fuel that offpost Esso's offer. Then again this the the U.S.government and not making sense seems to be their daily routine. I'm going to have a serious discussion with the manager in Hohenfels. Disseminating mis information is a disservice.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 02-25-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #44
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I'm in EU and i'm usually using high ethanol blends. So far so good with Motul 8100 X-cess SAE 5W-40 LL-01
Appreciate 0