BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #45
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
1M won't be limited. They may switch to the N55 in 2013. The 1M is an awesome looking car, but unless you are planning track sessions not really worth the price paying just for looks.
Pfffft. do your home work.

The next gen F2X, replacing the E8X car, will not have a 1M in the range, it will likely be called an M2 and will "possibly" be front wheel drive. Further, it looks likely that it will be a 4 cylinder T or TT not a 6 cylinder TT.

Well, IMO, a ~$25k premium over a 135i (or 15k for a Auto vert for example), that WILL be rare and a once off build is definately worth the money and it is a friggin bargain.

You guys who continue to compare $ and doubt the car, take a ride over to the US site and dig out the archives and go for it, this shite is 6 months old.......... move along!

Yeh yeh Rant rant

Oh, re the M5, love em http://www.carsales.com.au/Tig/UI/Pa...autoplay=false 109k 2005 model with 29,00ks cool. But really, rant again, why would anyone who is shoping a 1M say that they will look at a M5 instead , may as well by a brock commodore ....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #46
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
You can mod your 135 to make the same or more power than an M5. Personally I don't think there's enough in it to change my 135 to a 1M, but I reserve the right to change my mind once I start seeing them around. Would never buy one new though.

Even with the M3 diff it's still cheaper to mod a 135. The body parts aren't enough of a difference to me. I think BMW really made the decision on that when they retained the N54 for them.

No offence to anyone hanging out for their 1M, I am sure they will rock.
I've recently owned a modded 135i with arguably better suspension and LSD than the 1M, and a V8 M3. I'll let you guys know how they all compare. I think it will be a winner if the ride and handling is like a M3, but more flickable as it has a shorter wheelbase and is a smaller car, and with the power delivery of a modded N54.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #47
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Heated debate in the Aus 1 forum - that's unusual!

@ianf2002 As it stands - the 1M will be limited not by affirmative actions but by production time frame. They will produce them as long as the 1er is in production and I guess the N55 is a possibility but at the moment that will finish at end of 2011, but BMW can always surprise us.

After seeing all these debates in the main forum - really each to their own, and I have my personal opinion re the 1M.

What is a true M car? Are you going to compare it to the most expensive M which is the M6, or are you going to compare to the first M which is a super car? Or is it going to be the E30 M3 which to many people define the M philosophy, or to the best selling M car which is the E92 M3? Don't forget the glorious E28 M5 which define what the M5 is all about, but how can you ignore the monstrous E60 and even the upcoming F10 M5 which is even going to be far more crazy. What about the illogical and gravity defying X5M which many people wrote off - which to me really define what M is all about - maximising the "Joy" from a series car.

To me a true M car bring harmony from all parts of the car to produce something more. It needs to have something unique about the engine that is available only to M cars, ie a S part number. It needs to have a balanced chasis that can either be unique to the car, or use parts from other M cars. It needs to have class leading Nurburgring times. The most important of all, the driver needs to find Joy every time he seats behind the wheel.

To that definition, 1M should have never been called a 1M, but it is much more than a iS. To me it is really a 135M like the 328M. You can make a moded Beatle go faster than the 1M. The thing is you just need to figure out what you want from a car, and if the car fulfills those.

The most important thing to me is I like the size of the 1er, I have enough power, I just want a better balanced chasis that will give me more joy. I firmly believe this car will deliver. I would probably retire this car from DD duty in 2 years.

@Tay forget about the price - you need to think about which car will give you more enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #48
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Well the good Dokter calls the 1M "pure M". Whatever that means. Personally I think BMW has strayed from the philosophy of "pure M". Sparoz, I think you rightly point out the E30 M3 as a defining icon. And don't forget the original M1. Surely this is the wellspring of the M philosophy. At the time of these cars would BMW have thought that 4WDs would be following the M philosophy? Somehow I think not. But it doesn't matter. Times change. Marketing moves on. Perhaps it's specific cars that carry the mystique.
If I say I have an M3 you will always ask which one. If I say E30 it will have a particular meaning for you versus another M3, or any car for that matter. Yes? If the 1M is a dog then it will be dissapointing. If it is a pearler then it will achieve special memory status. Maybe even reset the definition of M one way or another. I'm actually starting to enjoy the anticipation because I think it will be a pearler.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #49
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

hmmmmmm must say for 110k there is a few choices........
used:
M3
IS-F
C63
Demo:
TT-RS
New:
1M
      03-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #50
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
used:
M3
IS-F
C63
Demo:
TT-RS
New:
1M
I think that's the 1M's best selling point. What else can you get for the money? Not much can compete with its performance in the same price range brand new. Second hand it obviously has a lot of competition though...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #51
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
used:
M3
IS-F
C63
Demo:
TT-RS
New:
1M
+ Porsche Cayman.

My choice if I didn't need the practicality of the 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #52
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I think that's the 1M's best selling point. What else can you get for the money? Not much can compete with its performance in the same price range brand new. Second hand it obviously has a lot of competition though...
But but but, apart from the 1M, none of the other cars listed by aus135i looks almost the same as a cheap hatch back from b pillar forward!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #53
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
homework ? really?...FWD only due in 2016....given the 1 coupe success I doubt they would change it to fwd unless it starts to cannibalize the 3 coupe
Clearly My "possibly" comment was missed in your reading. There are still a number of drivetrain confirmations/clarifications to be had at this point. None the less the rest of my rant highlighted my opinion that you were off the mark in what you said.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #54
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
+ Porsche Cayman.

My choice if I didn't need the practicality of the 1M
The Porsche would be a good choice, but the issue with them for me is tick a few boxes and the price sky rockets. Performance wise a non S will be no match for a 1M. I am REALLY looking forward to press comparos of the car, though what will they compare it with, the M3, hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #55
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
The Porsche would be a good choice, but the issue with them for me is tick a few boxes and the price sky rockets. Performance wise a non S will be no match for a 1M. I am REALLY looking forward to press comparos of the car, though what will they compare it with, the M3, hahaha
I think 1M should in theory bring the fight to a lot of things in one or two price brackets above it. TT-RS spec wise is pretty close and although it's my favorite Audi, don't think it'll match the 1M's handling, in theory of course. Must be why Audi's rumored to be doing a TT-RS Plus.

Cayman will probably still be better to drive. There's something special in the water at Stuttgart.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #56
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I would definitely go for a 2008 M3 or a C63 over the 1M. My modded 135 currently puts out approx 290kw at the wheels but at the $110k mark I think there's better options.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #57
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

One way or another, there's going to be some humble-pie consumed once this puppy hits the ground and we all know what it's actually like.

In my view it's going to be brilliant. And why wouldn't it be? The 135 is a fantastic car, and the 1m can only be an improvement.

In a few months we'll all know whether that's right or not...
      03-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #58
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Actually I don't think anyone has said the new 1M won't be a cracker. I think the comments are more about there being too little difference between it and a 135 to justify the changeover cost.

Having said that, my opinion is that every M car should have an M engine (S series if you will). That joke "Hitler" vid on YouTube is funny because the thrust of the dialogue is so close to the truth.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #59
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
My choice of the Cayman S is all about the driving feel. Even better than a 911 IMO. Low Klms well spec'd used Cayman Ss are approaching 1M pricing.

Fifth gear did a comparo between the 135i and the lower spec 2.7 Cayman. The 135i won. Now if one were to extrapolate the 1M to be comparable to the Cayman S........

The RS3 seems to shaping up as the main rival to the 1M. Equivalent power and pricing. However the RS3 may not be coming to Australia so we will have to rely on OS reports.

Can you believe what it coming out of that bureaucratic tax payer parasite the ADR authority about the RS3? Seems there's an issue with the carbon fibre front guards. Why would Audi Australia crash an RS3 for a very limited market here when crash testing has already been done for Europe?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #60
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
I think the comments are more about there being too little difference between it and a 135 to justify the changeover cost.
The changeover is of course going to be different for each of us. The changeover for my 135 for example will be nothing at all. The additional lease repayments are really quite modest - less that $200 per month. On that basis, as far as I'm concerned I'd have to have rocks in my head NOT to get the 1M.

The Cayman S is certainly a weapon. If I didn't need the rear seat I'd certainly give it serious thought, but the fact is that there IS a difference between buying a three year old car as opposed to a new one of comparable performance. When you are looking to shift the Cayman you will be looking to flog a seven or eight year old car, as opposed to a three year old one. That is a huge difference, especially when you factor in the large number of Caymans floating around.

For $110k the performance "out of the box" from the 1M, being a new car, with a new car warranty, will be a genuine, fur-lined, deluxe class, olympic standard, ocean-going performance bargain. Bank on it.
      03-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #61
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
used:
M3
IS-F
C63
Demo:
TT-RS
New:
1M
I am just a BMW fain boi - the 1M would be the closest car in the current BMW to my dream car of a E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #62
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Actually I don't think anyone has said the new 1M won't be a cracker. I think the comments are more about there being too little difference between it and a 135 to justify the changeover cost.

Having said that, my opinion is that every M car should have an M engine (S series if you will). That joke "Hitler" vid on YouTube is funny because the thrust of the dialogue is so close to the truth.
Despite of what I wrote earlier it would be the closest car to to the spirit of E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #63
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
My choice of the Cayman S is all about the driving feel. Even better than a 911 IMO. Low Klms well spec'd used Cayman Ss are approaching 1M pricing.

Fifth gear did a comparo between the 135i and the lower spec 2.7 Cayman. The 135i won. Now if one were to extrapolate the 1M to be comparable to the Cayman S........

The RS3 seems to shaping up as the main rival to the 1M. Equivalent power and pricing. However the RS3 may not be coming to Australia so we will have to rely on OS reports.

Can you believe what it coming out of that bureaucratic tax payer parasite the ADR authority about the RS3? Seems there's an issue with the carbon fibre front guards. Why would Audi Australia crash an RS3 for a very limited market here when crash testing has already been done for Europe?
I hear a lot of people saying a Cayman is better to drive than a 911, and I wonder how familiar are these people on both cars. A 911 is not something you can fully appreciate by just test driving. You need to learn how to drive it, how to take advantage of the rear weight and trial braking into corners on the track etc. Whereas with a Boxster/Cayman, the weight distribution allows someone who knows nothing about driving Porsches to jump in and push hard immediately. I have owned and tracked several Boxsters/Cayman and 911s to know what I'm talking about here. All I can say is, both are great cars, but the mid engine cars lack power (for me). And the best Porsche on sale? Easy, any of the GT3 variant.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #64
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

If you read my post I did say in bold IMO.
Without wanting to turn this forum into a debate about Porsches - I have tracked a 911 and have several spins to my name so I agree about the learning process. And yes I do love the idiosynchrasies of the 911. And yes the GT3 is a fabulous car for those who, unlike me, are comfortable with the attention. What I love about the Cayman is the way it shrinks around you. The way it works with you. It also attracts far less attention than a 911. Way, you seem like a true enthusiast so I respect your feelings towards the 911. Unfortunately there are also plenty of wankers who only have one for the "look". And just because the Cayman is an easy car to drive it doesn't mean that you can drive it well. Mid engine layouts have their weight shift idiosychrasies as well.
Anyway, let's get back to 1Ms shall we.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #65
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh Gazz, i was actually trying to make a general statement on mid engine vs rear engine porsches, wasn't an attack on you. What im trying to express is the fact that most people don't get 911s because they haven't spent enough time in them or been taught how to drive one.

Now back to 1M, I think we will be happy with it. I don't see the point of a M specific engine if the donor engine is a great one anyway. What difference is it really going to make?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #66
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Definitely true on the 911, Absolutely nothing like it. The 997.5 GT3 RS is probably the most beautiful and sublime handling car I've ever driven. The responsiveness, the steering weight, the feel, it's all perfect. I have always considered every drive in one an absolute privilege. Porsche has a lot wankers being attracted to the brand, as with most, but that usually stops with the Turbo. Anything above that is more or less still the enthusiasts domain and all the owners I've met so far have been great. I personally cannot wait to be in financial position to have one as track car. I'm sure the 991 will be even better.

Way, I'm still not over that Singer 911. Just amazing detail and execution, love the nods to the true classics.

The 1M in the meantime should be an amazing melding of practicality and performance, which is just what the doctor ordered at the moment.
Appreciate 0