BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

M235i Test Drive

Test drove this M235i last night. It was a car that someone ordered and for some reason the deal fell through. If I was to order one, this would be the way I'd order it.

This is how it came:

- Mineral Grey Metallic
- Coral Red Dakota leather
- Moonroof Deletion
- Black Kidney Grilles
- M Perf Exhaust w Rear Diffuser
- No Tech Pkg
- Auto Transmission

My impressions:

Mineral Grey looked boring -- like vanilla or beige. Mineral Grey looks so much better on the 1 series. Coral Red looked faded. Steering felt numb and detached. Car felt very solid, but too insulated (also detached). Was excited to hear the M Perf exhaust but it sounded quiet and muffled compared to my 1er's Performance exhaust. Maybe it needed some more miles on it.

This was my 3rd time test driving a 2er. This time went in with an open mind and gave it the opportunity it deserved, and if thoroughly impressed, might consider buying, but left unimpressed with it's driveability and looks. As stated above, very detached feeling. Car felt big, even though its not that big. Engine was similar to mine, cabin materials were of good quality (only pluses IMO). Even got to take it out by myself to give it a proper test drive.

Happy to get back into my 1er. Love my car. Test driving the M235i makes me appreciate my car even more.
Attached Images

Last edited by Esteban; 12-18-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

2ers are just plain ugly
      12-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Had you driven one before, Steve? Or was this the first time?
      12-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Had you driven one before, Steve? Or was this the first time?
As I mentioned in my original post, this was my 3rd test drive.
      12-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
As I mentioned in my original post, this was my 3rd test drive.
Jesus, F- for reading comprehension on my part.
      12-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention, was listening to the M Perf exhaust while revving it with the door open, so the muffled sound wasn't because of the insulation.
      12-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to mention, was listening to the M Perf exhaust while revving it with the door open, so the muffled sound wasn't because of the insulation.
How'd the active sound, sound?

In all seriousness, it's a VERY comfortable car. The little bit of extra wheelbase length is a good thing too, though I wish they had figured out a way to not make the actual car longer/heavier/wider/broader. Pluses and minuses, which I felt you highlighted very well in your brief review.
      12-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How'd the active sound, sound?

In all seriousness, it's a VERY comfortable car. The little bit of extra wheelbase length is a good thing too, though I wish they had figured out a way to not make the actual car longer/heavier/wider/broader. Pluses and minuses, which I felt you highlighted very well in your brief review.
I didn't listen to the active sound, Alex. TBH, it makes me mad just knowing it's there.

I agree that it's very comfortable, but so was a Camry rental I got a couple of years ago from my dealer when they were out of BMWs to loan. I'm sure you know what I mean and feel the same way.
      12-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I will add that the seats in the M235i were very comfortable and supportive. Much more so than my Camry rental lol... maybe even a little more than my 1er's sport seats.
      12-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I will add that the seats in the M235i were very comfortable and supportive. Much more so than my Camry rental lol... maybe even a little more than my 1er's sport seats.
Had a camry years ago, bleh. I don't get the folks comparing the 235i to the camry. Yeah, it's numb and dull and whatnot, but damn, not camry level yet. I don't find the 2er seats as comfortable as the 1er, but they're closer than the 3er, which are just a hair too big for my taste.

Had a Jetta rental that was insanely comfortable recently while my 1er was in the body shop. No idea why it was so comfortable, it was base spec everything. Had a blast thrashing it around too. Reminded me a little of the old small displacement Hondas. Nice and tight too, and the EPS was actually far superior than the EPS in BMWs. In a JETTA!

To contrast, also been in a Challenger and a Chrysler 200 rental within the last month. Challenger was up there on my list of worst cars to drive ever. Literally. I think I'd rather be fed slowly into a wood chipper. 200 was thoroughly bland in every way, but very easy to drive and the suspension was very comfortable. Jetta was an absolute dream compared to those two.

Ah, what were we talking about again? ---->>>
      12-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had a camry years ago, bleh. I don't get the folks comparing the 235i to the camry. Yeah, it's numb and dull and whatnot, but damn, not camry level yet. I don't find the 2er seats as comfortable as the 1er, but they're closer than the 3er, which are just a hair too big for my taste.

Had a Jetta rental that was insanely comfortable recently while my 1er was in the body shop. No idea why it was so comfortable, it was base spec everything. Had a blast thrashing it around too. Reminded me a little of the old small displacement Hondas. Nice and tight too, and the EPS was actually far superior than the EPS in BMWs. In a JETTA!

To contrast, also been in a Challenger and a Chrysler 200 rental within the last month. Challenger was up there on my list of worst cars to drive ever. Literally. I think I'd rather be fed slowly into a wood chipper. 200 was thoroughly bland in every way, but very easy to drive and the suspension was very comfortable. Jetta was an absolute dream compared to those two.

I wasn't really comparing the M235i to a Camry, although it may have sounded that way. It's just that they're both comfortable (but so is a couch). That's probably about as far as the comparison goes other than they're both cars.
      12-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
I think the M235i is a nice car, but for the money, I'd rather have my 135i. Not to mention, I don't think the M235i deserves to wear an M before it's model destination, considering how much performance BMW actually tuned out of the car to create a market segment for the M2.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Quote:

there is something Inherently glorious about thrashing around a small, compact rental car!!!

my favourite rental car is the Kia Rio. just throw that thing around u turns and hear the tires scream for mercy!!! last time I had one I enjoyed it's cheap thrills so much I even came home and looked up how much they cost....lol. that must have been a slow day!!
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
there is something Inherently glorious about thrashing around a small, compact rental car!!!

my favourite rental car is the Kia Rio. just throw that thing around u turns and hear the tires scream for mercy!!! last time I had one I enjoyed it's cheap thrills so much I even came home and looked up how much they cost....lol. that must have been a slow day!!
No doubt. Haven't driven a Kia in years, certainly not since they rebooted the brand. Rode in one of the new Optimas a while back, felt like the new Accord. Nothing memorable.
      12-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Fatwake64
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space Grey/Coral Red

I think the 2 series look feminine compared to the 1. The 1 series cars have a youthful, rambunctious look. The only 2 I would consider purchasing would be an M2.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Never been a fan either
      12-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's funny. To me, the M235i looks better in pics (don't really like it's looks so that's not saying much) than it does in person, but I thought it was starting to grow on me -- I was wrong.

I think most people usually say the opposite, that a particular car looks better in person and that pics don't do it justice. I hear that about the 1 series all the time, although I think it looks great either way.
      12-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #19
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

The 1er - you stop to stare at it and smile.
The 2er - you walk by it and look at the beige Camry parked nearby thinking the new front grill on it looks pretty good

I still don't like the butt end of the 2. Even the M2 doesn't do it for me. For the money, the M235i is overpriced. Looking at the new 2016 Camaro SS, lots more bang for the buck if you can get past the GM thing.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I totally agree with your sentiments on the 235 from when I test drove it (I considered it at the end of my 135 least, but after the test drive, I decided to find another 135 to buy).
The one thing I will say that is somewhat better that you didn't mention the suspension (stock vs. stock). There is a tad more body roll in the 235, but it grips better, and the back end doesn't jump around when you hit a high-speed cornering bump. Also, I thought it felt a hair faster 0-60 (I know it is on paper, but it FELT that way to me too - but this was before I tuned my 135, so now there is no comparison).

The only color the 235 looks decent in is black. It just works better. I also hate how the 228's stock wheels look better than the 235's.

There's a fuse you can pull to kill the active sound, isn't there (which I understand has been discontinued recently - thank the gods).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

As much as I'm trying to be open to the M235i and unbiased, every time I look at the car I just think of a Mazda front end. The car is just so ugly and average, I really do want to like the car and endorse it but I simply can't.
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #22
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I totally agree with your sentiments on the 235 from when I test drove it (I considered it at the end of my 135 least, but after the test drive, I decided to find another 135 to buy).
The one thing I will say that is somewhat better that you didn't mention the suspension (stock vs. stock). There is a tad more body roll in the 235, but it grips better, and the back end doesn't jump around when you hit a high-speed cornering bump. Also, I thought it felt a hair faster 0-60 (I know it is on paper, but it FELT that way to me too - but this was before I tuned my 135, so now there is no comparison).

The only color the 235 looks decent in is black. It just works better. I also hate how the 228's stock wheels look better than the 235's.

There's a fuse you can pull to kill the active sound, isn't there (which I understand has been discontinued recently - thank the gods).
A percent of the added grip is most likely due to the Pilor Super Sports if that is what the M235i had on it.
Appreciate 0