BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Extended warranty/Tuning

Hey guys, i was wondering if i could get some input to help weight my options in terms of what to do with my car now that the original warranty is just about over.

The first day off the lot was 9/08. Since then ive had all the recalls done including HPFP, injectors, and spark plugs. I've had no problems with the car up until about a month ago...

Im now at 40k miles with the warranty about to expire. Which will likely happen before i get to the 45k mile service interval. Another thing that ive been noticing is that the engine seems to be pretty rough on cold starts. I have no CEL but i can feel the engine shaking the car every few seconds with what seems to be an ever so slight drop in RPM's when it happens. It seems like misfires but i am not certain. I'd really like to have it walnut blasted but i think i would need to trip a CEL before service would consider doing it under warranty.

Iv'e been looking forward to the general release from Cobb so that i could finally see what its like to own a tuned N54 but im afraid that if i get the tune and my engine falls on its face, im screwed. I feel like i need to clean the intake valves before tuning. Should i ?

So now, a few concerns/questions.
1. Will i get rejected if i try to get maintenance service before the 45k mark?
2. Should i just skip the extended warranty if i want the tune?
3. Does it make sense to get a tune if i plan to get the extended warranty?
4. How many of you are running tunes and mods post extended warranty
5. If i go forward with both, and something happens and they find out the car was tuned, do they refunded?

i don't think i missed anything. Thanks in advance for your opinions and feed back.
      07-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think you first should replace your spark plugs - you about due for them. That is most likely your rough cold start running.

You might want to see IF your car needs a new HPFP, just because you had one replaced before doesn't mean you got the newest HPFP part.

IF you tune... you could be on the hook for COD repairs. Warranty or not. Maybe a PPK1 would make more sense for you?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

I think the hpfp injectors and spark plugs were changed 1st quarter 2010. I'll have to check the paper work when I get in. My car was never tuned and it needs plugs again so soon? I'm thinking it had to be carbon build up since that's never been addressed before in 40k miles
      07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

With no tune new plugs every 45K miles or so. With a tune every 20K to 25K miles new plugs. But really spark plugs play such a huge role in how the engine runs... its really the first thing that should be checked/replace with age. Then coils/injectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
1. Will i get rejected if i try to get maintenance service before the 45k mark?
2. Should i just skip the extended warranty if i want the tune?
3. Does it make sense to get a tune if i plan to get the extended warranty?
4. How many of you are running tunes and mods post extended warranty
5. If i go forward with both, and something happens and they find out the car was tuned, do they refunded?
Will be in the same situation very shortly, and also considering a tune. I have the same concerns. Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yeah, as Dackel said check to see if your plugs have been changed and if not get them done. Under the maintenance plan the dealer will (should) change them at or before 45K. I dont think the dealer would've changed them prior to this point. I had a slight rough idle prior to my dealer changing them at 41K. FYI...the dealer will not walnut blast your valves under the maintenance plan, at least this is my experience. You will have to pay out of pocket. Try to find, or wait for, a local group buy. We have one here in Chicago and its only $399.

FYI...I have Cobb A/P and a ton of mods. I have a three year extended warranty after my BMW warranty expires in Sept. That said, I am selling my car, I dont want to, but the wifey hates the 135 (too fast, too much torque, and too small) The Cobb is great and provides a ton of power for a flash tune, especially Stage II. I would recommend this or the JB4 (if you go meth). That said, you might want to check the PPK tune as Dackel said. I am getting this installed on my 335i Wednesday. I decided not to install Cobb b/c I dont want to deal with it any more as you have to flash back to stock before you go to the dealer for warranty work. In order to "ready" the DME after this process you have two options: 1) follow specific driving instructions to "ready" the DME 2) plan ahead and drive around for about a week to "ready" the DME. The dealer will know you have a flash tune if you do not do this, you however wont lose your warranty (they cannot just void it), but some dealers might give you a hard time. I believe with a piggy back (JB4) this is not an issue, just remove before you go in.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 07-31-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

The PPK is to $$$ for seemingly little kick
      08-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The PPK is to $$$ for seemingly little kick
Agreed. I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether or not I will risk voiding my warranty if I buy a JB4 chip. It's hard to find conclusive, factual evidence that is clear. I don't know much about the technical side... I'm trying to decide whether I should extend my warranty or not, because I know I want to add more power to the car. Are you extending your warranty for sure?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I'm about to become a owner as well

And these things do worry me also, but I can't stress everyday wondering if my cars gunna break down how could any of us enjoy these machines
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

Just to add some relevance to this thread in terms of the state of my engine.

High pressure fuel pump: 26k miles Feb 2011 Part # 13-51-7-616-446

Injectors (5) replaced at 26k miles Feb 2011 Part # 13-53-7-585-261

Spark plugs ( 6 ) replaced: 32k miles Aug 2011 Part # 12-12-0-037-44

Air filter replaced: 32k miles Aug 2011

At 40k miles it seems strange that these items would need placement so soon. There is that one injector that wasn't changed tho...
      08-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

FWIW, I decided I'm going to let my warranty end in December, then buy a JB4 chip. Between warranty and maintenance plan, my SA calculated those to cost more than $5,000. I expect any work to cost much less than that anyway, so I'm going to just buy a chip in December and if something happens, I'll get it fixed at Martino auto concepts with the $5k I saved. Can't fucking wait to chip my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
SHFT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6MT

Quote:
I think the hpfp injectors and spark plugs were changed 1st quarter 2010. I'll have to check the paper work when I get in. My car was never tuned and it needs plugs again so soon? I'm thinking it had to be carbon build up since that's never been addressed before in 40k miles

Just had my valves walnut blasted and it made a night and day difference in the way my engine feels. So if your feeling less then smooth throttle acceleration at your mileage and you already replaced your hpfp and injectors its walnut blasting time. Now my SA is a good friend of mine and honestly cares about getting things done right so he addressed the issue to the service manager and was able to get the blasting without the any cel's. This issues should be a common maintenance covered service @ 45k through BMW and not something you have to wait for your cel comes on before they look into the issue like its never happened before.