BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Sprey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Greetings 1Addicts Australia!

A big hearty hello to all of you! :smile:

I thought being a new year and all, and already bored first day back at work, that I write in and introduce myself. Apologies for the long read - I hope it's at least interesting to some of you.

Before I begin, I wanted to thank all of the contributors of this website. The information which I have been reading religiously is very valuable and entertaining! Keep it up! More on this point later.

So here's a bit about this addict...

I wouldn't go calling myself a 1Addict, BMWAddict seems more appropriate. Without boring all of you on which ones I've had (and the ones I still do), I'll tell you about what it took for me to finally sell my beloved E46 330i after 8 years.

I had intended for the E46 330i to be a family heirloom. This decision came after I decided the E90's weren't quite right for me - I had been an obsessed 3-series buyer for years. Though some are critical about 'new' BMW styling and how it's changed the brand for them, I just think the E90 has simply gotten too big to be as nimble as I'd like. And curiously, this hasn't translated to greater interior space. My E46 330i was lovely, obscenely optioned and clocked only 30,000kms during it's time with me.

In around May 2007, spy stories about a 1-series coupe started to surface. There was also much talk (and photos) about a 1-series convertible prototype BMW was showcasing. Being a E46 driver at the time, I was never blown off my feet by the 1-series hatchback but the 'notchback' reminded me very much of my other joy, a 1974 2002Tii, which I should mention I still have.

At around this time, an opportunity to sample the 335i came my way and at Eastern Creek Raceway no less. I liked the engine. I liked it very much. When it emerged that those 1-series coupe spy shots were indicative of BMW's intention to put the twin-turbo 3 litre into that car, I was already pretty much mentally sold on the idea of buying one.

On May 19, 2008, I sampled one of the first E82 135i's in the country, a Sparkling Graphite Metallic. It was clear to me. I just want one (oops, no offense HSV). The next day, I travelled to the US due to work and my enthusiasm rubbed off on my US workmate so much he ended up buying one and forgoing his Hybrid. Perhaps it was so we didn't have to keep visiting BMW dealerships anymore whilst I was there, or perhaps he had enough of my ranting about how it was half the price of one in Australia. Mind you, this was during that short-lived period when we thought AUD and USD would reach parity!

Upon my return to Australia, I hurriedly shopped around for a 135i, at that time because of the imminent LCT increase. However, none due into the country were quite as stupidly optioned as what I had wanted for my new family heirloom. And so I took a decision that I'd have one built. A SGM it was to be. I bought it on June 15, it was due November 30.

And here's when 1Addicts saved me.

In around July, news emerged of a new iDrive system. On 1Addict, the whole UK Product Marketing update got posted and contained a wealth of information. Being a professional geek, I knew I wanted the new iDrive, mostly because it's newer and had more buttons! And so I asked my BMW Dealer for clarification on this rumour.

Being not unfamiliar with how manufacturers have to handle product obsolescence, I knew it was unlikely they would be able to confirm if such an update was imminent. However, I also thought they wouldn't be able to deny the occurrence as they would simply be setting me up to be a very unhappy customer when the news became official. And so an obvious and reasonable middle ground was found - that they would hold my order until we got some clarity. I pretty much took that as confirmation the rumours were true.

Despite thinking I had plenty of time to part with my E46 330i, I managed to let my head take this decision instead of my heart and had put it on consignment sale at a friendly pre-owned Prestige Car dealer I knew. On July 10 after a little over a week, it was sold. Little did I know this decision probably saved my need to cancel my order, post October.

In September, it became clear the news (I first read on 1Addicts) about iDrive was correct. I was advised a November build would be of safe margin to ensure I got this update. Alas, confirmation also came that SGM was no more which I also read about on 1Addicts. And so Space Grey it is, sight unseen. You guys can call me 'Sprey'. :wink:

Today, my car is on Don Carlos and nearing Melbourne before the vessel continues onto Port Kembla on the 7th. This is after it's world voyage from Germany, to Belgium, France, UK, South Africa, Reunion Island, and even Fremantle! Heck, it's been closer to my hometown WA friends even before it gets to me. Am I excited? Well, after 6 months some of that has calmed down and certainly reading 1Addicts has helped time pass.

With that, I end this long-winded introduction. Happy New Year everyone! I know for me at least, January is going to be really great!

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Welcome sprey
I know just how you feel. I too wanted the new iDrive and had all the info regarding its introduction in September build cars. Mine had an October build date, so I was quietly confident that I would get it and I did and let me tell you it's fantastic. You will love it.

I assume you perhaps got Nav Pro and Logic 7 Pro as well.

Your only issue now is that you are probably relating your delivery time to the day (or near to) the ship arrives at Port Kembla. Let me tell you on average, you still have a relatively long frustrating wait.

Mine took 11 days to clear customs and arrive at BMW's holding yards. Then there was a couple of days to go from the holding yards to BMW wholesale at which time they organise transport etc etc etc. Bottom line.. ship arrived at Port Kembla on the 1st December, finally got the car on the 16th December.

At the end though, I expect you will be like me with a grin from ear to ear everytime I get in and drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Great story and thanks for sharing! I too am waiting for my 09 idrive, but I went a step further and asked for an 09 build date, so mine probably hasn't started being built yet.

Congrats and hope you see your car soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Dodger
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i SRM AT Bus Nav

Hi All Happy New Year. New guy here!!
I too am wating for delivery of my new coupe, it is on the Don Carlos and due into Port Kembla on Wednesday, I rang the dealer today and they said it will be between 10 to 14 days before they receive it at the dealer it may be sooner if they are not too busy.
I also waited until I could get the new i-drive as it is far superior interface to the previous version.
Can't wait for the day!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
cam2801
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport Space Grey

Garage List
Weclome !!!!

I can second the Oldman's comments on the timeframes for delivery from arrival at Port Kembla... it does take about two weeks to get from dock to delivery.

Like you we brought Space Grey sight unseen (on a 1er anyways)... and it is a decision we don't regret.

And waiting for the 09 iDrive was a good decision ... just that little bit easier to use... as for the screen ... some people love the new look... others prefer the 08 pop up version.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Welcome and great writing
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Welcome to the forum mate, and post some pics as soon as you get your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Welcome Sprey, great to have you on board.

Post some pics of your Tii as well - now that's a classic to have in your stable:w00t:

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Sprey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Thanks all!

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

The trusty Wallenius Wilhelmsen website informs me Don Carlos has now left Melbourne and is on it's leg to Port Kembla!

Based on several of your feedback above, I guess I'd better add a good couple of weeks to when I'll actually have it in hand. The Dealer also hinted that there may be a backlog of cars already at the dock at this time of the year. I'm going to have to keep myself busy - perhaps I should detail my E32's air-con vents or something. :iono:

Yes, I optioned Nav Pro and Logic 7 as well. I think the only options I didn't pick are Active Steering, Comfort Access, Adaptive headlights/High beam assist, Ski port/bag and Heated Seats. Came close to choosing Active Steering, but I'll blame the LCT for depriving me of that option. I was in two minds about how I feel about the demise of the flip screen with the new iDrive. Ultimately though, the thought of 'more buttons' won me over.

My 2002Tii is in it's last stages of it's restoration project. I do plan to have pictures of it and it's new relative together. However, I think I'll probably have the 135i's photo's first which I will also post.

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

P.S. Welcome Dodger!
Appreciate 0