E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone in san diego wanna help a lil lady out?

03-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #45
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

I used to live in San Diego - fabulous city - and if I were still there you could have have counted on me for help.....now I live near Venice, Italy and am enjoying every minute..my 325i was just made for these Alpine mountain roads...buona fortuna!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #46
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo
I used to live in San Diego - fabulous city - and if I were still there you could have have counted on me for help.....now I live near Venice, Italy and am enjoying every minute..my 325i was just made for these Alpine mountain roads...buona fortuna!
Well i MUCH rather come out there!
      03-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #47
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I understand that people are skeptical about working on someone else's car, but Hunter399 (who refered the blubs to me) got them installed at a gas station. He said it took 20 mins max. I went to the gas station/shop..etc. and they have no idea. How difficult could it be, he kept telling me its simple.
10 to 15 min to do all 3 per side if you have a jack or lift and take the wheel off.

With the wheel off the wheelarch comes off in 5min

What make of bulbs are you installing ??
      03-30-2006, 12:43 PM   #48
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
10 to 15 min to do all 3 per side if you have a jack or lift and take the wheel off.

With the wheel off the wheelarch comes off in 5min

What make of bulbs are you installing ??
I ordered them from www.bimmerxenon.com

Hmm i guess it does take a lot of work. From what i heard, it was very simple
      03-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #49
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
No offense to anyone on this board but I wouldn't trust anyone I met on a internet forum to do a repair/upgrade to my car. $80 is pretty cheap for the piece of mind that it will be done right the first time and by a knowledgeable/skilled professional.

I love my cars, they are my babies. I wouldn’t try to find a doctor on the internet to perform elective surgery on someone I love. Just like I wouldn’t look for a weekend mechanic (or worse) on the internet to upgrade my car. Bella you are asking for more trouble than its worth just to save $80.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #50
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hmmmm, just my opinion, but I think perhaps you shouldn't install these for your headlights. For the fogs they're ok, but I think they'll look rather cheesy for your headlight.
      03-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #51
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
Bella, if I were within 1000 miles you could count on me!

Fee
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #52
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Oh I got an idea, why don't you post something on craigslist! Just say, $40 to help you install headlights.
      03-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #53
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
hmmmm, just my opinion, but I think perhaps you shouldn't install these for your headlights. For the fogs they're ok, but I think they'll look rather cheesy for your headlight.
To each his own.

Anyway, ill just take it to the mechanic i originally talked to. Thanks anyway guys.
      03-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #54
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

i guess i shouldn't of bought mine if they are this much of a hassle...
      03-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #55
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

What ever happened to good old Yankee know-how? Anyway, here is a pic of "la mia macchina" near the Soave Castle (wine country). If you ever get out this way give me a shout...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #56
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

It is easy
1. Un torque bolts slightly
2. Jack up car (like you would for a flat)
3. Remove Rim and wheel well trim
4. Access bulb bay and swap.

It’s in the DIY. They are charging you 1 Hr shop time there is no materials just straight labor. Porsche charges $115/ hr with an hour minimum it is straight stealership they could literally charge you $115 bucks to put on wipers and I have seen some yuppies actually do it, jokes on them AutoZone will do it free. Don’t get discouraged for not wanting to be taken at the stealership that is what tech forums are supposed to be about. Hunter got it done for $20 here because labor in Houston is mad cheap. And he went to an independent garage. Forget about accountability I would trust myself or a friend for the small stuff more than the dealer because of sheer negligence!
I will bet my ratchet set this forum will become a lot more technical when everyone’s comfort blankly (warranty) is pulled. You will see more posts like “My OBDII pulled these 2 codes from the DME what is the most likely culprit component” rather than the daily post of “Will SG make my car invisible in twilight”.

Sorry I know this is off topic venting… my bad

Good Luck Later!

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #57
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheneer
It is easy
1. Un torque bolts slightly
2. Jack up car (like you would for a flat)
3. Remove Rim and wheel well trim
4. Access bulb bay and swap.

It’s in the DIY. They are charging you 1 Hr shop time there is no materials just straight labor. Porsche charges $115/ hr with an hour minimum it is straight stealership they could literally charge you $115 bucks to put on wipers and I have seen some yuppies actually do it, jokes on them AutoZone will do it free. Don’t get discouraged for not wanting to be taken at the stealership that is what tech forums are supposed to be about. Hunter got it done for $20 here because labor in Houston is mad cheap. And he went to an independent garage. Forget about accountability I would trust myself or a friend for the small stuff more than the dealer because of sheer negligence!
I will bet my ratchet set this forum will become a lot more technical when everyone’s comfort blankly (warranty) is pulled. You will see more posts like “My OBDII pulled these 2 codes from the DME what is the most likely culprit component” rather than the daily post of “Will SG make my car invisible in twilight”.

Sorry I know this is off topic venting… my bad

Good Luck Later!
The $80 isnt a dealership, its a bmw certified independent shop. My parents have been going to this guy forever. So i guess $80 isnt a big deal, ill just suck it up and take it there tomorrow.
      03-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #58
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
Quote:
The $80 isnt a dealership, its a bmw certified independent shop. My parents have been going to this guy forever. So i guess $80 isnt a big deal, ill just suck it up and take it there tomorrow.
Well for what its worth if you wanna wait till you come over here to the East coast I would be more than happy to install em for you....It all depends on your patience...

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #59
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadye90
Well for what its worth if you wanna wait till you come over here to the East coast I would be more than happy to install em for you....It all depends on your patience...
Haha.. i dunno if i cant wait till august. But thanks anyway! Btw- a "welcome to the east coast" party is in the works. BE ready boys!
      03-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #60
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
To each his own.

Anyway, ill just take it to the mechanic i originally talked to. Thanks anyway guys.
Ya true, not trying be an ass, but just that if you're my friend, I'd be begging you not to do it. You're spending around $160 to get those installed right? $40 dollars more you can have a generic brand real set of HID plug and play kit.
      03-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #61
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya true, not trying be an ass, but just that if you're my friend, I'd be begging you not to do it. You're spending around $160 to get those installed right? $40 dollars more you can have a real set of generic brand HID plug and play kit.
Nah i was quoted at $80.

So what the heck is the diff btwn HID and the lights i purchased? They are both bright and better than my halogens
      03-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #62
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
Quote:
Nah i was quoted at $80.

So what the heck is the diff btwn HID and the lights i purchased? They are both bright and better than my halogens
Its like the difference between a candle and a floodlight with a floodlight being the HID's

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #63
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Actually you'll probably find the set you bought dimmer then even your regular halogens. Real HID's come with a ballast and the filament inside the bulb is dramatically different. The filament inside uses the charge from the ballast to ignite the xenon gas. The "xenon" bulbs that they usually sell are just regular halogens with either A. Blue tint on the bulb or B. charged with some xenon gas so you get a slightly different color. Both burn out more easily then your regular halogens, and a lot quicker then the real HID's. I have tons of those blue-tint "hyperwhites" sitting in my friend's garage, I could've given them to you for free.
      03-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #64
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

There are more components in a true Xenon / HID system there are balast's, module, relays Etc.

I figured your $80 quote was from an independant because they dont have a franchise minimun rate and sometimes dont have an Hour min charge.

Good luck!

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #65
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually you'll probably find the set you bought dimmer then even your regular halogens. Real HID's come with a ballast and the filament inside the bulb is dramatically different. The filament inside uses the charge from the ballast to ignite the xenon gas. The "xenon" bulbs that they usually sell are just regular halogens with either A. Blue tint on the bulb or B. charged with some xenon gas so you get a slightly different color. Both burn out more easily then your regular halogens, and a lot quicker then the real HID's. I have tons of those blue-tint "hyperwhites" sitting in my friend's garage, I could've given them to you for free.
These wont burn out, its under warranty to last a very long time. So i can always get my money back if they do. And 2nd- they are way brighter than my halogens. Hunter has the same car as i do, and he installed them a week ago, he said the difference is amazing. Much brighter.
      03-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #66
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm guessing the bulbs you bought look somewhat like this

A complete set of actual HID's look somewhat like this

Anyways, just my opinion, hope it works out for you.