BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Exhausts:Flowmaster/Off Road H pipes/Corsa/SLP LM/Magnaflow to BMW Perf Ex

I have called myself an exhaustaholic since I first heard glass packs and cherry bomb exhausts in the 50's as a teenager. Had a quiet 60's. Started family--station wagons(ugh) then in the 70's VW bugs all stock exhausts. Discretionary income improved in the early 90's and my 5.0 Mustang went thru several exhaust systems:Flowmaster/then Off road H Pipe. Nice. Jumped to a '98 Z28. Started with a Flowmaster-wasn't loud enough. Went to a SLP Loudmouth. Just WOW. Then '01 C5 Vette. Corsa exhaust--nice but too sedate. Went to the SLP Loudmouth. Sounded almost like a NASCAR. Neighbors hated it. I use to coast in to my garage. My '05 MCS--tried a Magnaflow and was happy.

Picked up my 135 on 5/8/09. Promised myself no mods for 1 year. Well, on 5/22/09 traveled to United BMW and thanks to Dan,Mike SA and Roger the installer, I have the BMW Performance exhaust. I am very pleased. It wakes up the 135 w/o being obnoxious. You would think closing in on turning 66 I would have grown up and not need to hear my exhaust. Compared to a lot of my other exhausts I have had, it is quiet. Minimal drone--if any. Remember, my hearing isn't what it use to be/and I am use to having my fillings jarred loose by the drone. Has a great note when you get into it. I love the tips--remember and old chrome guy. The tips don't stick out too much--a concern I had. United has installed nearly 30 Perf Exhausts on the 135. It was done right.

Kudos to Dan/Mike and Roger at United BMW. One of the best service experiences I have ever encountered. And, believe me, I have had a lot of negative experiences. If I lived closer they would get all my business. Nick
      05-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
mjovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nice review from someone who has experienced a lot of different car/exhaust combos. I am also leaning toward the Performance exhaust. I don't know what it is, but BMW NAILED the exhaust note. It's almost heavenly. I am probably going to open up the exhaust with some downpipes as well and that should hopefully round out the sound without being too too loud. I don't remember if the Perf. Exhaust removes the resonator or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
Nice review from someone who has experienced a lot of different car/exhaust combos. I am also leaning toward the Performance exhaust. I don't know what it is, but BMW NAILED the exhaust note. It's almost heavenly. I am probably going to open up the exhaust with some downpipes as well and that should hopefully round out the sound without being too too loud. I don't remember if the Perf. Exhaust removes the resonator or not?
Performance exhaust removes the resonator located in the Y-Pipe. However, it retains the secondary cats located in the midpipe.
Appreciate 0