BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #1
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Like sending your daughter off to the prom...

I flew down to my place in Florida a couple weeks ago, leaving my e88 to be retrieved later from my place in Maine. But I HATE that drive with the passion of a thousand burning suns, and a friend of mine who is visiting the East Coast from his usual haunts in Seattle wanted to visit some friends in the DC area. So we agreed he would take my car, then just keep on driving south. Was able to change his flight to fly home from down here for no added cost.

But I am still on pins and needles that one of my babies is on the road without me. I do very much trust this friend though, he's a fellow Bimmer dude (has THREE '80s 635i's at the moment) with all the mechanical sympathy in the world (he's even bought a couple cars from me over the years). One of only a small handful of friends I would ever let do this. Still...

So let's all have a 1Addicts group well-wish that he and my car make it down here with no drama!

It will be due an oil change when it gets here, planned to do that on my lift in Maine. Oh well, QuickJack in the FL driveway it will be. Volvo and Mom's Camry are due as well, so I will make an afternoon of it and get max value ot of setting up the QuickJack. I also have the Mickey Mouse flange in hand to replace, aluminum version. Well, technically in the trunk of the car, along with a jug of BMW coolant and a couple hoses.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 01:35 AM   #2
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Threw my baby on an open trailer to be shipped from SC to SoCal a few months back so I can somewhat relate. Having someone else driving my car would take my anxiety to the next level tho...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Maybe would let my son do such a drive.
      09-23-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
He made it

He made it!

Though the car evidently was not amused. When he picked it up at my place in Maine, the SES light came on and it had an "Invalid TPMS" warning message. The SES light went off never to return after he drove it a few hundred miles, but the TPMS warning was intermittently on the whole way down. So I will be coding the car from TPMS to FTM tomorrow, which was my plan as soon as any issues arose with that system. And scan and see what that SES light was all about.

Though of course, dummy me managed to leave my fairly new Android phone in Maine, as I went over to the Fruit Phone dark side a month ago. ProTools is Android only. Thankfully, I have an ancient Motorola Pure One in my desk drawer, and it looks like ProTools installed on it just fine. Charging the battery now, though this thing is so old I will *definitely* have it plugged in while I do this - I have the BT adapter. If it weren't for having to grub around under the car (probably) to unplug the RDC, I would just go do it now.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0