BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #67
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Well I dont know about the rest of you but I dont drive a bimmer for anything elitist. I bought my first bimmer in its homeland...where it is as common as a Ford F-150 and comes in many more variations than are available in the USA. After driving one and then driving other cars I came to the conclusion that almost NOTHING drives as well as a bimmer with that type of fit and finish for the price. I determined that if I was gonna buy a car I would work my butt off and save to get a bimmer EVERYTIME...even if it was used. Would I like to own other cars..sure I would. But for my main vehicle I think it will always be bimmer. That being said I really do like the new offerings GM is putting out (i think i said that in a previous post already though)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #68
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Instead of having everyone make your decision for you, why don't you just go buy what YOU want and not what everyone else wants you to buy, be it a Pontiac or BMW or whatever. Seriously though, get the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #69
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

To the OP, I believe GM is offering military members employee pricing on all models (including the vette). That was in an ad on military.com last week, not sure if they are still doing it or not. That being said, I would recomend the 135i, it has greater utility and I have trouble throwing >30k into a car I wouldn't love/be-able-to drive every day.

Good luck with your decision.
      08-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #70
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
First off, how the hell did you interpret this simple line...

Into American cars overrating their car power whereas BMW underrates theirs? Honestly, how in the blue hell did you come up with this concept from that quote?

Secondly, I can't even take your little proof reading comments seriously about my grammar, when you can't spell grammatically correctly. Kind of ironic isn't it?

How did you interpret my post as to calling EVERYONE idiots? It was actually directed towards people who saw nothing wrong with what I said in the previous sentence.
i've read a lot of articles saying that the turbocharged engine's power is underrated. i didn't come up with that concept from the quote you just used, but from the quote that you responded to that i used in my previous post. i AM sorry i spelled grammatically wrong. your sentence structure, however, still didn't make sense. so i apologize for that, you're right to correct me. and either way, it's not that i CAN'T spell grammatically correctly, i just typed too fast and forgot the extra m. by saying that i can't, you imply that i'm incapable of doing so, which is just wrong.

the post that i quoted you from made it seem like you were directing your comments at the bmw crowd in general, so maybe you should just make yourself a little more clear when you post.

but really, with every nice car there will be people who are into the "brand name" aspect of it. it's bound to happen, and rather than trying to fix it by calling people idiots, just let it go. you're not going to change anyone's opinion on that matter, or make any of us think you're wonderfully intelligent for seeing past it. the same goes for anyone who comments on the strange superiority complex that some people feel when driving brand name cars. it's inevitable and will always happen, so i think people should just accept it or keep it to themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #71
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

I understand loving a car or being very happy with a brand, I get that. I like most BMW styling (5 series is my favorite sedan and the Z4 is my favorite roadster), love the driving dynamics along with the power and fuel efficiency of the inline 6. I’m sure I’ll own a BMW someday maybe the 1, maybe an M3 or a 550 but it’s the talking down about those that that compare other brands that just seems to get under my skin. I apologize if it was a bit of a rant.

Also as my forum name would show I was a design major a long time ago so not so much on the grammar skills.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #72
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

GM is offering employee pricing to everyone right now. My buddy was going to an M3, but is now getting a Z06 for significantly cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #73
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey Sharks fans, what do you guys think of your new unis? I don't mind the orange, and I like the logo update, but the "diaper effect" is dreadful IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #74
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
What I don’t understand and this is probably not just a BMW thing is the fact that for some what you drive somehow makes you feel superior to anyone else. Because you purchase a BMW or Benz or whatever are you somehow more intelligent, savvy, special? By that reasoning the Porsche owner is more superior to you and the Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari owners are even yet more superior? So if you buy a Veyron are you the most special of all?

Buying any of the above brands just means you have more money or a willingness to spend that money than the average person nothing more. And that BMW or another luxury marquee’s advertising has worked to make you feel part of an elite group of which of course you are not.

I plan on buying in a little less than two years and I’ll be looking at anything under $45k that strikes my fancy. Than includes: Mini Clubman JCW, 135i, M3, S5, Camaro SS, GT-R, CTS-V, XF-SC. Whatever feels, looks, sounds and pleases me the best is what I’ll own who makes it is immaterial.

There is a guy I’ve spoken two who loves cars, owns BMW’s, MG’s, Porches, Alfas and even old school muscle. He told me once that “BMW’s are great cars and he would like them even more if they just didn’t say BMW on them”. It’s one of the reason I’d like to own a GT-R (beyond it being stupidly fast) only a select few will even know you are driving something special. They will just see the Nissan badge and dismiss it as just another Nissan or think its the new 370z, which is just fine by me.
BWHAHAHA YOU DRIVE A MAZDA!

oh wait...

:thumbup::drinking:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #75
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
Who cares? At the end of the day, you're still driving a Pontiac.

And you've got about the same performance and features and $10-15k left over. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #76
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post

I plan on buying in a little less than two years and I’ll be looking at anything under $45k that strikes my fancy. Than includes: Mini Clubman JCW, 135i, M3, S5, Camaro SS, GT-R, CTS-V, XF-SC. Whatever feels, looks, sounds and pleases me the best is what I’ll own who makes it is immaterial.

Well said.

I cross shopped the GTO against the M3 back in 2005, and bought the GTO. A lot of people said that was crazy, but the GTO with $1500 in mods would simply embarass M3s. It wasn't nearly as nice on the inside, or as refined, but that was part of it's character, and the fact that it was a good solid $25k less expensive sort of made up for that.

This time, I went with a BMW because Pontiac (or anyone else for that matter) didn't have anything small, RWD, and as fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #77
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

I admit to being anti Pontiac. I had a 1978 Sunfire. It was dead at 60,000 miles after replacing virtually everything under the hood and suffering through the worst fit and finish of cheap materials a company run by accountants could conceive. You may say 'yes but that was 30 years ago' but is there compelling evidence that their corporate culture has changed? GM has to prove themselves as a quality performance car company over several years. They are just now moving their focus from SUV's and beneficial trade barriers. I am willing to recognize quality when quality is consistent and demonstrable. I will (for the most part) believe what I read in Consumer Reports relative to their reliability which is slightly better but certainly not in the ballpark with the Japanese.

So, for me, their reputation beneath the Japanese and Germans was earned and not thrust unfairly upon them. They have to claw their way to prominence after years of neglect. I truly hope they do but I'll wait for objective evidence that they are ready to move past curvaceous styling and 5.7 liter engines.

Cynically,
Spook
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #78
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I think every manufacturer has improved from 30 years ago, the domestics in particular in the last few years. Im still thinking long and hard about the C6.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #79
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
I think every manufacturer has improved from 30 years ago, the domestics in particular in the last few years.
I disagree, rented cars lately? There's some real crap out there, cheap models that were crap in the 80's are still crap today on the modern versions
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #80
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I disagree, rented cars lately? There's some real crap out there, cheap models that were crap in the 80's are still crap today on the modern versions

GM's latest offerings are on par with everything else in their class, and have lower purchase prices in a lot of cases. I have 2-3 rentals a month, and I'd rather have a new Malibu than just about anything else in the fleet.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #81
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
GM's latest offerings are on par with everything else in their class, and have lower purchase prices in a lot of cases. I have 2-3 rentals a month, and I'd rather have a new Malibu than just about anything else in the fleet.
I do like the new malibu, but the cheaper cars are pretty bad
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #82
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I do like the new malibu, but the cheaper cars are pretty bad

That's the case for all cheaper cars IMO, and most of GM's current offerings are being replaced in the next couple of years. All of their new generation cars are as good as anything else in their price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #83
Smudgepot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPSI View Post
I just last week, traded in my 06 Solstice (not a GXP) for my SGM. Two totally different cars. The Pontiac is intended to be and will remind the owner often, a budget roadster. Great value (not so much now as in 06), great styling decent car with very poor interior fit/finish/materials. That being said for the 2.5 years I had it, it was a lot of top down driving fun. The 09 coupe looks great as well.. The 135 is 10x's the build quality, a value in it's own right and one hell of a all around car!

I agree. I traded my wifes GXP for a Z4. Build quality of the BMW is light years ahead of the Pontiac. The Solstice is cheap and uncomfortable (at least for me). As far as tracking is concerned I believe the Solstice is an excellent track car. Unfortunately, it is not a good daily driver. The 135 is much faster than the GXP. The Z4 and GHP are pretty comparable in power and fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #84
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
That's the case for all cheaper cars IMO, and most of GM's current offerings are being replaced in the next couple of years. All of their new generation cars are as good as anything else in their price range.
I disagree, I've been in so many rentals lately, the imports seem to be built better

they are all cheap interiors on those lower end cars, but build quality is different

that said gm seems to be catching up, they are a lot better than the interiors were 5 years ago
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #85
carcar123454321
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, Solstice GXP, Subaru Leg

This is such an old thread no one will probably ever read it, but I thought I’d comment just for fun.

I would love to snag 135i may still do that, but I ended up snagging a Solstice GXP for $8900. The closest 135 and similar shape was about $17k.

With the $300 tune you’re up to about 310 hp and 340 torque. If you drive it modestly on the highway you can actually get close to 30 mpg. Is the BMW engine superior as far as build and broad performance? Definitely. But that EcoTech is not bad.

After having a Solstice for about four months I went and drove a 135i. Obviously the interior and build are much better, no doubt, but honestly, the handling wasn’t as good in my opinion and not as “fun”. The turn in was much less sharp and the car was less nimble and somewhat top-heavy in comparison to the solstice. you can really whip the solstice around and it’s a complete blast. i’m guessing with some coilovers are a little stiffer suspension the 135i could get kind of close.

The solstice also comes with a LSD which the 135i doesn’t.

As far as room, the 135 is far superior of course. And that of course could be a dealbreaker for many who need to fit three people or use the car for more trips and luggage. But I found myself driving alone about 90% of the time in town and we have a suburban for our whole family. I also found that I could fit a surprising amount of stuff in the Solstice for what it is. Generally I put my office stuff in the passenger seat but I can cram it in the back if I have to. I’ve lugged a giant bag of grass seed, several boxes, a fair amount of groceries, and more in that thing. again I can just grab the suburban and carry an entire refrigerator :-)

Looks: I still think the back and side of GXP are very cool…very unique. I still get people asking about the car.

All that to say if you were on a very tight family budget which I am, you can spend about $10,000 less and if you really just wanna drive and aren’t so concerned about fit and finish, you can get about 90% of the fun. It may be a poor man’s fun car but it’s definitely fun :-)

If someone offered me both cars for free and had me pick would I pick the 135? Yes I would :-).

One last note. I’ve drove driven a bunch of cars the last couple of years trying different ones out— I used to have a suped up Subaru that I drove on the track, I’ve test driven Corvettes newer mustangs, 135, 335, 370Z, GTI, BRZ, G37, Miatas, Genesis Coupe, etc.. You really need to drive them and see what you like best and what feel you like. I really like driving, I like manuals and being engaged with a car, etc. Some cars have great stats but in my opinion just don’t feel good to me. I find I like a lighter, more nimble, manual car. I enjoyed the GTI, 370z, Miatas (except low power), etc…didn’t enjoy Mustangs, 335i, etc. For some reason I didn’t really like the BRC either and of course it’s pretty low on power in my opinion.
Appreciate 0