BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
young1er
1st Class
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

My Wrecked 1

first estimate is $4500.00

Just happened yesterday so I am not in the mood to be long winded. Basically this happened going about 25mph. you can see where the truck hit. my car spun and slid sideways down the road. No airbags, no one was injured except i am a little sore and i walked into a sign while on the phone and cut my head open. doh!

Attached Images

10-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Thats terrible.....Sorry to hear that man. Good your ok though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

sorry to hear. glad to hear everyone was ok.

it seems like every accident on here is from a truck/suv.....hate em!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow... thats ugly.. but at least your ok thats the most important..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
dude im sorry to hear bout your accident..

itll get fixed i hope! =)

that Jetta looks good also sitting by your car....

lol to hitting your head on the sign but sucks to hear it got cut open!

take care and hope your soreness goes away fast..

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I feel your pain. I wish I could do something to make you feel better about your car. Nice wheels?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
imported_easyman
Private
Rep
Drives:

Man i had the exact same thing happen to me. Except when I spun I slid into a parked car.

I HATE trucks. They need to be more responsible, they should be more aware of their surroundings.

I've had trucks pass me on the left, then change into my lane and run me off the road.
      10-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

^ +1 on the truck hating part. They think they own the rode.

i hope she'll be good as new when she gets fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

That's a good point of view. On the other side I see guys with F150 raised 2 feet in the sky on 50" tires barreling down the freeway at 90mph with disregard of anyone's safety.
      10-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Neo187H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Are you serious? Have you ever driven a truck? Try driving a big rig for a week and get back to me with that comment. NO ONE gives a crap about trucks on the road. People drive as if the 60-foot-long multi-ton behemoth next to them has the moves of a Formula1 car.

Try piloting a truck down the highway and having some douche in a car merge in right in front of you. When you get on the brakes and your trailer starts dancing, you may rethink your original statement.

Driving a truck sucks. No one gives you respect, and everyone assumes you can stop on a dime. Car drivers are oblivious to you. They cut you off, drive too close, hover in your blind zones, and are a serious danger.

If a truck driver does something that pisses you off, it's more than likely that he HAD to do it. Again, try driving a big rig for a week and you'll change your tune. I don't, but I know.

For some odd reason I'm pretty sure that his car wasnt hit by a big rig and as such, the hatred isn't directed towards big rigs. But more so trucks, pickup trucks, SUVs driven by soccer moms.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
ya like palin lol

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Cars are disposable... glad you're ok. But did it have to be Montego that got crunched?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
young1er
1st Class
Rep

yes it was a pickup truck. I sell heavy trucks (freightliner, sterling) so I am very aware of their place on the road
      10-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

young1er,

Glad you are ok. Sorry for the loss. Thanks a bunch for posting along with good pictures. I assume you just pay deductible, and you have insurance? In Canada we have no choice (unless breaking the law), we have to have insurance.

If you go the insurance route...
A little advice... keep very good notes, write down who you talk to, time date, keep a log.

If you have time, get more than one quote (3 if possible) and look around the shop make sure the cars and the people look legitimate. If they start talking funny business, I highly suggest you walk away. (What goes around, comes around.... I have a long story about that)

Do not assume anything. Take pictures of your car in detail (before you bring it in). Rims etc... everything (even windows, mirrors, etc). Even interior. 5 min of digital pictures could help you if the body shop mucks things up. If possible, turn on date and time on pictures, if you have that option. Remove everything that doesn't need to be there, like your little tool kit. If you leave the mats, include it in your pictures. Write down on your contract that there is no other damage, and the mileage. Have someone walk around the car with you, and have them initial the contract and date it. Just like a rental. They might get a bit annoyed, but you can always say you had a bad experience once (I did) and you are just making sure. No loss right?

As for insurance, I have no problem with their choice of body shop, but make sure you hold them to their guarantee. Ask lots of questions. And keep notes. Understand what they are billing you for, even if insurance is paying. If they say "bumper replacement" make sure you do get one. Usually the more legitimate places won't mess around, but one never knows. The more you know, the better chance you will get what you/insurance paid for. Remember even though insurance pays, you paid for insurance, and you should get a PERFECT car back (ok to your satisfaction). I also recommend you get OEM parts. I don't think there are other choices yet, but it's worth asking. One drawback here of going through dealer is they log the accident on their computer, and if you resell it shows up on their computer for the next buyer, and can lower the price.

PS As for rental replacement, find out from your insurance what you are allowed up to. Mine I think gives me $50 per day. So if you check around, you probably can get a weekly rental, and get a much better car. If you do go through dealer, maybe they can set you up with a 3, or if you are lucky a M. Always worth checking. If you leave this up to the bodyshop they get kickbacks and give you what ever is there. In a nutshell take control of the situation, and don't let them push you into anything you don't want. They know you are fuzzy after an accident, and they do like to take advantage of this.

Good luck and let us know about your experience.

EspressoBoy

PS
I missed the line you sell trucks, so you probably know a lot about all this already. Anyway, maybe other readers can learn something. If you have advice, please post it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
young1er
1st Class
Rep

EspressoBoy,

Thanks for the input. Luckily I have some experience with this as we have a body shop here where I work. My car is at the local BMW,mercedes, audi, porsche dealer getting repaired and luckily I know the owner's son. Even if I didn't, i know they are a reputable place and will do a great job.

That being said, this is great advice for anyone else who might be in this situation.
      10-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #16
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Good advice as always Esspresso Boy.

young1er, glad to hear you walked away unharmed, next month you'll look back and LYAO about walking into the poll.

We all love our 1s on some level, some more obsessively than others...but keep in mind, it's only a car. Good luck with the repair process, keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I hope you kicked the shit out of that sign for hurting your head! Too bad about the car. Hopefully the repair will turn out as good as new.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Are you serious? Have you ever driven a truck? Try driving a big rig for a week and get back to me with that comment. NO ONE gives a crap about trucks on the road. People drive as if the 60-foot-long multi-ton behemoth next to them has the moves of a Formula1 car.

Try piloting a truck down the highway and having some douche in a car merge in right in front of you. When you get on the brakes and your trailer starts dancing, you may rethink your original statement.

Driving a truck sucks. No one gives you respect, and everyone assumes you can stop on a dime. Car drivers are oblivious to you. They cut you off, drive too close, hover in your blind zones, and are a serious danger.

If a truck driver does something that pisses you off, it's more than likely that he HAD to do it. Again, try driving a big rig for a week and you'll change your tune. I don't, but I know.
I don't think the OP was hit by a truck (as in the 60-footers). I think it happened with a 'light truck' like the F-150 or something like that.

And I agree, the people driving such light trucks/pickups have very poor road manners. Either they can't see their surroundings properly due to their increased height, or they simply don't care, because they know they are "safe"
Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

thats sad. atleast you're ok!! and i don't mean to be a debbie-downer or anything, but i got into a pretty nice accident in my S2000 where the whole left side of my car needed repairing (about $6,500 damage) and the car was never 100% back to OEM after that (small gaps that weren't there OEM). the bodyshop is a great place and went the extra mile to try and make things perfect but it was never FULLY perfect. i would consider trading it in if this is a car that you plan on keeping forever (not just a lease).
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Hope you and the car are back to 100% soon.
      10-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

damn, sucks bro... glad ur ok tho:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I always thought it was only me who disliked pickup trucks on the road. No! I mean the drivers in those trucks.

I kind of understand now how this happens...

While driving my sisters SUV other cars treated me like I was a soccer-mom on the phone. (and I was not even wearing track pants!)

When I first got the 1, I too started to drive a bit like BMW's. I have since rectified that. (I think I am in a fast corolla and I have the speed limiter set at 140)

So, I guess it figures that ppl driving monster trucks, get monster ego.

That being said, I can see why huge 18 wheelers can be real turds. Actually I go out of my way to give them a break. I just put myself in their shoes, hawling all that load, and having Bee's-Mers buzzing around them.

If they don't bother us, we should not sting them. And being a good lil bee, I don't want to loose my stinger. Bzzz Bzzz

EspressoBoy

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely
from "Lord Acton's dictum"

Appreciate 0