BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

NAV or NO NAV ?

hey guys,

i know this topic has been discussed to death in the main forums, but i wanted to get an aussie view on this. Ive got my order set and im going in this weekend to confirm colours etc etc. The only thing im hesitating is the nav. I know it will be dated within 12 months, and the maps cost a fortune, but i initially decided cause it looked pretty cool & integrated allot of functions onto the screen.... I haven't seen it real life, but wanted to get an "aussie" view on if its worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I've ordered the prof nav. I'm a bit of a gadget freak so it was too hard to pass by.

To be honest I've been lead down the garden path a few times with the sat nav in my ex-530i. I still carry a UBD for "backup."
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It's something I've been thinking about too.

At the end of the day, I'm thinking of going halfway and getting the Business Nav so that I can have the screen. (for the PDCs and iDrive)

I really can't justify the extra $1.5k for the Pro just for the bird's eye, voice recognition, and to have the arrows and map at the same time.

I'm already having issues justifying the $2.7k for the Nav...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
If you want it purely for navigation, I'd save the money and get a portable unit for a fraction of the price.

But I wanted the cool integration of the other functions. Since I was splurging, I though what the heck, might as well go the whole hog and get the prof system.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I've had nav on many of my cars, from Audis to Porsches to Aston. They all suck. Tom Tom wins hands down when it comes to navigation. But do they look cool? Hell yeah. I can't wait to pick up the C63. That nav opening mechanism is just cool, and the screen is huge. But on the 135i I didn't bother (as this is going to be my fun driving car anyway). Oh and if you have never had nav before, let me just say that you probably won't use it much. I have used mine so few times over the years that each time I used it probably cost me $100!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I'm currently using my TomTom on a PDA and love it. Even when I know the way, I still put it on just for the cameras :biggrin: I don't think I'd change that.

I doubt I'd get an actual TomTom to stick on the windscreen though especially after a recent scare, and losing my iPod from my car. I don't want to be carrying the TomTom unit everywhere.

I'm looking at the built in Nav primarily for the screen and other functions so I'll probably not splurge and just get the business...

As I have not put my order in (a while yet) I might change my mind and drop that alltogether... Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Using my N95 has a nav, does the job fine with the voice software... Cant justify $4k for NAV in a car I use maybe once every 3 months

I'd more than likely order the NAV if you could set it up as a TV but I hear you can't do that..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

spot on guys. I know tom tom is much easier to use, but i hate mounting the tomtom on and for some odd reason my one just decides to fall of every now and then.. ohh well. I think as a compromise i will get the business nav ....

WAY, i too ordered a C63 (but pulled out cause wife wants to buy a new house ). The screen is brilliant (im guessing it will be the same as the other C class cars). I hope they fix the firm ride all the pommy magazines are complaining about...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
ozzy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i, 996 TT, Challenger 4x4

Hi
from what i have read if you dont take the nav option you get a storage compartment , which would probably take a tom tom etc , by the way aus_buster , what are you doing with the boxster
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I'm sure he'll turf it given the 135i will run rings around it
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Not so sure about that Kris. Stock to stock the Boxster S will run rings around the 135i on the track. I used to own one of those and they are a lot faster than most people realise. Great great little car.

Aus Buster, I too cancelled the C63 initially because I found out about the 135i, but then decided to get both later so reordered it. Bad move by me, cos my delivery time just got pushed out 4 months!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Wayne, the Boxster S is quicker than the Cayman around a track?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
ozzy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i, 996 TT, Challenger 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I'm sure he'll turf it given the 135i will run rings around it
maybe in a straight line , but have reservations about the total package , so stay tuned there may be a good deal on a 135i in late may
      03-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Wayne, the Boxster S is quicker than the Cayman around a track?
Absolutely. Boxster S is identical to a Cayman S, bar the fixed roof. I personally find Boxster S to be a faster car on real roads, as it is a bit more forgiving and is able to have more contact between the tyre and the road. On the track, it doesn't give much away to a Cayman S. At the North Loop, I believe it is 5 seconds slower, and that is such a long track. Base Cayman is a piece of crap (I hope there are no owners here). Wouldn't touch it with a long pole...unless it is in auto for the missus. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

boxster S is for me!! :smile: and the 135i for the missus (thats why its going to be an auto...). Of course i will be driving the 135i here and there; we are going to treat it like a family car for shopping etc etc, its too impractical with the boxster ...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Base Cayman is a piece of crap (I hope there are no owners here). Wouldn't touch it with a long pole...unless it is in auto for the missus. :biggrin:
Aww, and I still want a Cayman S sometime in the future :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Ah didn't know that Still not a fan of the Boxster S. Each to their own!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_buster View Post
boxster S is for me!! :smile: and the 135i for the missus (thats why its going to be an auto...). Of course i will be driving the 135i here and there; we are going to treat it like a family car for shopping etc etc, its too impractical with the boxster ...
Get a 911. It's much more practical with rear seats. No, you can't really fit real people in there, but it's great for luggage/shopping etc. Of all the sports cars I have owned, the 997 is the best as a daily driver. As for the car for the missus, that's what the C63 is for. She thinks the X3 3.0si I bought in Nov is a bit slow, so C63 should satisfy her needs. Seeing that we will be using the family car on the weekends with the baby, I guess I will not be complaining. The question as usual is when do I drive the other cars? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
Aww, and I still want a Cayman S sometime in the future :thumbup:
I'm curious Roger, why not a Boxster S? Cayman S is blardy noisy in the cabin too. Not pleasant sort of engine noise either. It's all because it is mid engine with a hatch, so all the noise gets trapped inside the cabin, unlike most other mid engine cars (including Boxster S) where the engine is sort of "outside". Seeing you like the Cayman S so much, here is a pic of it and the Golf GTI at the parents' place.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #20
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I'm curious Roger, why not a Boxster S? Cayman S is blardy noisy in the cabin too. Not pleasant sort of engine noise either. It's all because it is mid engine with a hatch, so all the noise gets trapped inside the cabin, unlike most other mid engine cars (including Boxster S) where the engine is sort of "outside". Seeing you like the Cayman S so much, here is a pic of it and the Golf GTI at the parents' place.
Never been keen on the convertible, and for some reason, the Cayman S tugs on the right strings. I will still need to go for a long drive in it though. I guess it was another reason why I didn't go for a secondhand Boxster S or my mate's old 964 convert and bought the GTI instead.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'd go a Cayman S over a brand new 911 or even an older 911 :eyebulge: Not fussed about having rear seats. (That's a selfish me talking) :biggrin:

Thanks for the pic! That reflection on the bonnet looks like a water droplet line

I see no kerb rash on the GTI rims either Must have come later...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Haha both cars were pretty new at the time, hence the lack of scratches on the wheels of the GTI and the reflection on the Cayman S...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #22
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Getting back on the nav thread.....

Admittedly I don't use mine that often for directions. I use it mainly for calculating my ETA at a particular destination.

For example...school is 20 to 25 minutes away and we need to get in the gate by 8:45 or else its a tailback out the school and to the main road. So if I can see what my ETA is I know whether I have to boot it or not. The ETA is ALWAYS accurate to within a minute.

One thing I have learned in life is don't skimp on the nice things in life - if you can afford it.
Appreciate 0