BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: LED AE for 135i

Hi guys. I'm looking for aftermarket LED that provide the brightest and no dimming angel eyes. What brands should I consider? I know some of them including lux, mtec, and cree. What the difference between those?

Also, I never do any mod using my own hand, that's why I'm considering led that has the simplest setup that I don't really have to worry about the cable or other stuffs. I know lux is really popular here but looking into other options if there is better choice.

Pictures will be very helpful. Comments and opinions are appreciated guys. Please help me out here. Thanks
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
simplest setup
There are direct-fit bulbs that are a different color temperature (white not yellow) that are probably your best bet.

Are you trying to achieve anything other than looks? If not and you want easy and almost guaranteed trouble free, I'd just do the bulbs and call it quits.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

LED bulbs will almost always be at least slightly dimmer than the non LED counterpart on these cars.

You can use MTEC/GP Thunder/Another brand of plain ol H8 bulbs, but at a different color temperature as mentioned above. They will not actually be pure white like LED's, but will be an improvement, won't cost much, and will be more or less as bright as the stock angel eyes.

LED bulbs are pure white but will be dimmer. No real way around it, other than running an external hookup to the battery with a ballast. There's simply no way to get enough power to make things brighter without overheating things, hitting the limits of the stock electronics, or causing errors. LUX are the brightest and most expensive. BMS and Weisslicht are also good, decently priced options that are pretty bright. Other brands and cheapo imitations won't be as bright from what I've seen. LED's are one thing I wouldn't go for from China eBay stores...

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike
LED bulbs will almost always be at least slightly dimmer than the non LED counterpart on these cars.

You can use MTEC/GP Thunder/Another brand of plain ol H8 bulbs, but at a different color temperature as mentioned above. They will not actually be pure white like LED's, but will be an improvement, won't cost much, and will be more or less as bright as the stock angel eyes.

LED bulbs are pure white but will be dimmer. No real way around it, other than running an external hookup to the battery with a ballast. There's simply no way to get enough power to make things brighter without overheating things, hitting the limits of the stock electronics, or causing errors. LUX are the brightest and most expensive. BMS and Weisslicht are also good, decently priced options that are pretty bright. Other brands and cheapo imitations won't be as bright from what I've seen. LED's are one thing I wouldn't go for from China eBay stores...
How about Mtec dan Dtec cree led stuffs? I know my bet will be lux AE but try to find other option. Been thinking lux for a long time but don't have balls to pull the trigger and try my luck on not messing the adaptive
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

I'd suggest getting the CREE 20w LED bulbs with the error-free transistor pack. Then have a local coder up the voltage on the AE from the stock 7w to 13w and you should be good to go!

BTW, I bought my CREE LED h8 AE bulbs on ebay for 89 bones.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

I bought the alpine v3 hid kit for my halos. It's great and if you can find someone selling a used set I'd say go for it. Now I can't speak personally as I said I bought my alpine kit from a fellow member but I've heard alpine customer service is crap and takes long time for orders and responses which would turn me off. But no complaints about the product itself. They are bright as hell I'm always getting flashed at night people think my brights are on too.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

From the little I have researched the LUX are the best LED option but are the most expensive by over 2.5x. As far as I know the LUX ballast is still rectangular which allows for easier install. I.E. easier to stick it to a surface inside your headlight assembly.
BMS changed their ballast to an elliptical design which has caused problems with holding them in place but I have heard nothing bad about the actual output of the light.

All of the LED bulb designs are identical that I have noticed. I haven't seen many complaints about the output of the LED bulbs, only that they can cause catastrophic errors within the headlight assembly if the ballast disrupts the adaptive portion of the assembly. Also not closing the assembly so that moisture cannot get in is the other issue with changing them out.

Unfortunately our cars are coded to auto dim the AEs once you turn on the headlights. You can put in a better H8 bulb but you would need to code the car to get the effect the LED with ballasts would have while running the headlights.
      05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage
From the little I have researched the LUX are the best LED option but are the most expensive by over 2.5x. As far as I know the LUX ballast is still rectangular which allows for easier install. I.E. easier to stick it to a surface inside your headlight assembly.
BMS changed their ballast to an elliptical design which has caused problems with holding them in place but I have heard nothing bad about the actual output of the light.

All of the LED bulb designs are identical that I have noticed. I haven't seen many complaints about the output of the LED bulbs, only that they can cause catastrophic errors within the headlight assembly if the ballast disrupts the adaptive portion of the assembly. Also not closing the assembly so that moisture cannot get in is the other issue with changing them out.

Unfortunately our cars are coded to auto dim the AEs once you turn on the headlights. You can put in a better H8 bulb but you would need to code the car to get the effect the LED with ballasts would have while running the headlights.
With that being said, if I coded to higher voltage, LED will become brighter or what? From some pictures on the internet, many LED AE are barely visible during day. Yes, so far lux has the best shape compared to others. Others might have canbus, heat resistor whatsoever that I think too much to put inside our compact headlight compartment.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
With that being said, if I coded to higher voltage, LED will become brighter or what? From some pictures on the internet, many LED AE are barely visible during day. Yes, so far lux has the best shape compared to others. Others might have canbus, heat resistor whatsoever that I think too much to put inside our compact headlight compartment.
All of the LED upgrades I've seen make a huge difference which was the only reason I was considering them. They put out white light and are brighter than the dull, amber OE lights.

If you are able to code the lights then almost anything is possible.
      05-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

our MTECs are rated over 1100 lumens in total output

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
our MTECs are rated over 1100 lumens in total output

Just sent you a message. Do you sell the latest MTECs for a 2008 128i?
Appreciate 0