BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Pi$$ed off.....twice in one week!

Sorry for the rude topic, but on Tuesday night, when I was out for my birthday dinner and the car was parked, someone in a Magna opened their car door straight into my drivers door, causing a dent, scratches in the paint, but luckily only in the top coat.

So today I get a brilliant dent repair guy to come and fix it, and he gets it 98% fixed. Only a keen eye would pick it.

Then someone (most likely a Hyundai Elantra) today, not a few hours after I get the other damage repaired, swipes the front left corner of my car....again whilst it is it parked. This time paint was removed (50cm long from number plate to near wheel arch!!!), and that looks like I'll need the whole front bumper re-sprayed.

In both instances I was perfectly parked with safe distances from other cars.

Does anybody out there have respect for other people's property? If I caused the damage, fair enough I'll cop it on the chin, but it gets me bl00dy mad and depressed when I have to hand over my hard earned dollars to pay for some idiot who does damage and then a runner.

- end rant -
      11-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
mate that's terrible!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Man thats bad luck... Who have you pissed off in a previous life mate..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

I feel your pain. and don't get me started on people that don't respect other people's property.

What I've started to do is when I park the car in a public place, take a photo of all of the cars around me, including their license plate number, with my mobile phone. That way if you come back and someone has damaged your car then you have a way of tracking them down.
      11-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

AussieRacer, I feel ya pain. What a horrible birthday present (it seems pathetic to wish you a hppy one). Sorry to hear your bad news. Karma, think karma thoughts.
      11-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Mate know what you feel, coming back to your car and seein it like that, just makes you so angry and impotent, because there is nothing you could have done to avoid it, except leaving the car at home, but then if you are going to do that, you might as well no get a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Dazza
ex-E30 psycho, part-time Ducati fiend
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125is

Dude feel for you. While living in the US, car 3 weeks old (GTi), I got hit in the passenger door, guy did a u-turn from the middle lane A month later, after pickup from panelbeater, decided to do groceries on the way home. Now that my new car was back on the road, parked as far away from other cars as humanly possible, basically at the end of the lot, only to come out to this ...... Luckily was caught on the mall's security tape, hit and run from an F150 t-boned ..... in the parking lot..... drunk )_*#@^#@%#. You can see from the 3rd pic how far it moved in the bay, no other cars even close by.

I now park between pillars if possible, or pillar on one side. I am paranoid of parking, and even use my mobile phone camera if someone is parked too close in the event there are scratches afterward. I console myself by wondering how the guys driving exotic cars must feel.... parking a Lambo next to a '71 Ute!

Hang in there ....
Attached Images

E30 - 325is (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
Furo125i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW/CORAL 125i

Garage List
Sorry to hear about yours AussieRacer

Tell me about it..

sigh i've got scratches off my rear bumper definitely caused by someone who hits me when parked, as i've nvr been in an accident.

And also dents below the driver's side mirrors, i suspect that these dents are caused by someone who just swing their doors open so widely zzzzz...

what can you do when they are so many Elantras and Magnas, sigh, i jusy wish they didn't run after..

my only relief is that these damages isn't that bad, and are not on the 1-er, I'm gonna try to park as isolated as possible when i get the 1-er..
      11-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Feel your pain buddy. Some people are arseholes.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

that's a nasty string of bad luck! sorry to hear about it. yesterday, i saw this youngish woman give a solid whack with the rear door of her patrol on the side of a beautiful new clk. she looked around and coolly walked off. i was flabbergasted because the dent was hideous! i approached her and had to really restrain my speech. she seemed quite ticked off when i suggested she should leave a note. in the end she did. very unpleasant, but i have left a note in the past when i rear ended a cadillac in the US (and actually improved the way it looked).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Professor, good on you for saying something to her. I'd do the same if I saw that happen and have, luckily, not been a victim so far.
      11-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #12
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
that's a nasty string of bad luck! sorry to hear about it. yesterday, i saw this youngish woman give a solid whack with the rear door of her patrol on the side of a beautiful new clk. she looked around and coolly walked off. i was flabbergasted because the dent was hideous! i approached her and had to really restrain my speech. she seemed quite ticked off when i suggested she should leave a note. in the end she did. very unpleasant, but i have left a note in the past when i rear ended a cadillac in the US (and actually improved the way it looked).
Yeah, Cadillacs need all the help they can get.
      12-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #13
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys for the supportive words. My car isn't as bad as the VW above!

BMW Bodyshop in Port Melb have quoted $1.2k to repair, which I think is a bit excessive for just removing front bumper, prepping, respraying and putting bumper back on. I'll be getting an alternative quote in a week or so.
      12-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Aussie, its under insurance right? Did you get the details of the other drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

Nope don't have other driver's details as it happened in a car park whilst I wasn't there. No security camera looking at the spot either..... So I'm not bothering with insurance as my excess is $900 with Shannons.