BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

135i vs Cayman

Not sure if it has been posted previously so here goes...

And the winner is....

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

seen it about 369 times now! yet it still sends a shiver down my spine...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
seen it about 369 times now! yet it still sends a shiver down my spine...
prices aren't really comparative here in Aus, so does the shootout still count?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4483

There's a ton of discussion on this video that you may want to check out.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

having had both a Cayman S and now the 135i (back to back) while I love the 135 and its the closest thing to a cayman with a back seat..

if I didn't need the backseat I would still have my Cayman..

that video isn't a fair comparison..its a standard Cayman.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Interesting, but I too think it's a bit of a miss-match comparo...

The Cayman will have its hands full next year when Audi release the new TT/RS which will compete directly with it in the same class...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Interesting, but I too think it's a bit of a miss-match comparo...

The Cayman will have its hands full next year when Audi release the new TT/RS which will compete directly with it in the same class...
Definately a miss match as far as prices go, I think the point here, for Australians at least, is bang for the buck which the 135i wins hands down, would'nt we all agree?.

Wraith, price is a mega difference with the TTS ( ++~$20k higher OTR for the Audi) so the higher spec/performance TTRS will be more in line with a Cayman S/Boxster S money, ~$140k. As such I wouldn't see too many people shopping the two anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
The base model (non-S) Cayman isn't that much of a stretch from an optioned out 135i, and it certainly isn't a slouch of a car.

It's got a big bum though IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
The base model (non-S) Cayman isn't that much of a stretch from an optioned out 135i, and it certainly isn't a slouch of a car.

It's got a big bum though IMO
Doubt you will find a new/demo Cayman (NON S) for less than
$120K, as far as a specced up 135i, even with the "proposed LCT" changes would be ~$85 - $90k... hmmmm

Luv the bum comment though
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

On the road a Cayman with a couple of options will be over $130k. An S will be over $160k. The LCT forms a large component.

So completely different price point in anyones book I daresay, to the 135i (mine was $76k on the road).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
On the road a Cayman with a couple of options will be over $130k. An S will be over $160k. The LCT forms a large component.

So completely different price point in anyones book I daresay, to the 135i (mine was $76k on the road).
If I financed both cars over 5 years at 9% with a 50% residual I'm looking at monthly payments of-

135i assuming $85,000 pp = $1119
Cayman assuming $130,000 pp = $2,047
Pfft, what's a lazy grand between friends

I didn't expect the Cayman to weigh in at that price honestly, I thought it would have been about $110k which would have made the monthly payments about $1,635
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

You will have a much better chance hitting your 50% residual after 5 years with the Porsche than the Bimmer, though I don't fancy your chances with either!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Definately a miss match as far as prices go, I think the point here, for Australians at least, is bang for the buck which the 135i wins hands down, would'nt we all agree?.

Wraith, price is a mega difference with the TTS ( ++~$20k higher OTR for the Audi) so the higher spec/performance TTRS will be more in line with a Cayman S/Boxster S money, ~$140k. As such I wouldn't see too many people shopping the two anyway.
Yes, that's correct with all of the above and why I mentioned TT/RS vs Cayman would be a better comparo as they are in a similar class :smile:

Audis are very nice and desirable cars, but their price tags (in Aust.) kills them when cross shopping !!!

I actually started a thread earlier on here comparing the new TT/S to the 135i and no doubt as far as bang for buck goes, the 135i wins hands down, but it all does depend on what an individual wants and finds exciting, as we all know that if we stick to just 'bang for buck' there are numerous car types out there which leave even a 135i for dead !!! but of course most of us here wouldn't be caught dead in some of those car types :smile:

As for that upcoming new Audi TT/RS I wish it were priced more reasonably, I absolutely love them and this model will be a true hi performance machine as well, in fact the current new TT/S is no slouch either, absolutely love everything about it - pity about the rip price tag though...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Y
As for that upcoming new Audi TT/RS I wish it were priced more reasonably, I absolutely love them and this model will be a true hi performance machine as well, in fact the current new TT/S is no slouch either, absolutely love everything about it - pity about the rip price tag though...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/16081/sp...09-audi-tt-rs/

But I wonder how it will fit in between the TT-S and the S5....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I've seen/read ^^^^ that article dodgey - thanks :smile:

Also seen some others which are more current that suggest Audis new supercharged V6 will be the engine adopted for the new TT/RS so until it's released we'll have to keep guessing :iono:

As for where it fits in the Audi line up - well that's up to them :iono:

Audi do seem to release a plethora of models all the time - lets assume they know what they're doing

Maybe it's sole function is to annoy Porsche, after they annoyed VW by buying majority share of them for obvious control of a future threat from high end Audi and Lambo models
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #16
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

i have a non S, and to be honest its great in handling, cruising, city driving, and the Bose system is amazing, but the only thing that makes u tired are the seats, 2+ hour of driving makes ur back tired.Its not fast, but great for novice racers.

It is kinda twitchy if ur coming in a corner a bit fast, a bit of understeer and sudden oversteer that u can catch if ur fast enough.

If your looking into a stronger brand name, interior quality, and heavy sporty German ride then go for it.

If you want power, soul, REAL rear wheel drive ( i say this cuz the Cayman lacks low range power thus no tail happy ) that u can have fun playing around with mods, cosmetics, and have the real feel of a street sport car then ur only choice is the 135. And really, after i tested the 135 for an hour, i hopped in the Cayman, got out of parking lot into highway and floored it, it seriously felt like im driving a Corrola, it did not GO, the feeling that i used to have before testing the 135 just went away.

Go for the 135, imo its the best small sports coupe in the market with the latest tech, great looking car when modded, fast as hell for a small car, crazy when modded, faster than other beasts on the streets that are priced double. All this is possible with the 135, the Cayman is poop compared to it.

'Q
      09-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJS View Post
i have a non S, and to be honest its great in handling, cruising, city driving, and the Bose system is amazing, but the only thing that makes u tired are the seats, 2+ hour of driving makes ur back tired.Its not fast, but great for novice racers.

It is kinda twitchy if ur coming in a corner a bit fast, a bit of understeer and sudden oversteer that u can catch if ur fast enough.

If your looking into a stronger brand name, interior quality, and heavy sporty German ride then go for it.

If you want power, soul, REAL rear wheel drive ( i say this cuz the Cayman lacks low range power thus no tail happy ) that u can have fun playing around with mods, cosmetics, and have the real feel of a street sport car then ur only choice is the 135. And really, after i tested the 135 for an hour, i hopped in the Cayman, got out of parking lot into highway and floored it, it seriously felt like im driving a Corrola, it did not GO, the feeling that i used to have before testing the 135 just went away.

Go for the 135, imo its the best small sports coupe in the market with the latest tech, great looking car when modded, fast as hell for a small car, crazy when modded, faster than other beasts on the streets that are priced double. All this is possible with the 135, the Cayman is poop compared to it.

'Q
That's a very good and accurate write up QJS, I would have to agree, the 135i would be my choice too :smile:

The new TT's are great, much better than the previous range and much better looking too - I didn't realise the seats were uncomfortable over long distances/periods, they look oh so sweet...

The performance of the new /S model must be very good by all accounts and I'm sure the /RS will be much talked about, but shouldn't really phase the 135i too much despite the RWD vs AWD scenario, in which case if it is better, the 135i has the far better value for money aspect going for it :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #18
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJS View Post

'Q
Ah, yes, performance wise, the 135 rocks! And yet, given the choice, I'd still go for the Cayman (or S, though I can't afford that either). It's fast enough for where I am, and I love it that it only has 2 seats and not 4 (Yeah, I'm selfish)

Doubt I'd mod any car I get that much anymore. Maybe some lightweight wheels, (Not Oz or BBS) and some sways. I'd not chip it, exhaust it, and even thinking of not putting aftermarket suspension on it either...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #19
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
You will have a much better chance hitting your 50% residual after 5 years with the Porsche than the Bimmer, though I don't fancy your chances with either!
Don't know about the 50% but in the States the 1 series was number 3 or 4 on Forbes best resale value list. That combined with a surprisingly glowing consumer reports review makes me feel downright responsible.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #20
lindenberger
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 - DCT

This thread should die...

I realise I am not helping it die, by posting to it...

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #21
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenberger View Post
This thread should die...

I realise I am not helping it die, by posting to it...

+1!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #22
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Appreciate 0