BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
vlupiano
Bumblebee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

1 M Euro Delivery / The Official Word -- launching May 16th

Just received the following in an e-mail from my CA ....

"Hello Sales Team

"Last week the 1 Series M Coupe was announced via Bulletin B-1-1210-11-M-01 and we are excited to offer the 1M Coupe in our European Delivery Program with a tentative launch date of May 16th. The Automotive Sales Department is currently determining how the 1M Coupe will be allocated and how many units will be available to the European Delivery Department. A decision will be announced by the end of January, before the March Allocation. We will not be confirming any 1M Coupe requests until that time."

It's poorly written and as a result somewhat confusing. If anyone can decipher it, let us know. It seems they are saying that the EDs will be available starting on May 16. However, dealers may not request an ED until after March when the ED department will tell them if and how many EDs they have. So, the dealers cannot accept orders for EDs until after the March allocation. So, if you want an ED through your dealer, you have to wait until March before you find out if that dealer has an allocation for an ED. If you wait that long and the dealer finds out he has no allocation for an ED, you've wasted three months waiting. So, if you want to move on one of these fast, perhaps you better forget the ED, unless you have lots of patience.

Can someone keep me honest here? Is this interpretation of mine correct, or am I not reading it correctly?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

I got a copy of this same email from my dealership today. I hope they pay attention to how many people are asking about ED option!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Ask me how I know this was written by a German, makes perfect sense to me.
  • They don't know yet how many cars would be available via ED
  • This decision will be made and announced by the end of January 2011
  • ED starts as of May 16th (preliminary)

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_vince View Post
It's poorly written and as a result somewhat confusing. If anyone can decipher it, let us know. It seems they are saying that the EDs will be available starting on May 16. However, dealers may not request an ED until after March when the ED department will tell them if and how many EDs they have. So, the dealers cannot accept orders for EDs until after the March allocation. So, if you want an ED through your dealer, you have to wait until March before you find out if that dealer has an allocation for an ED. If you wait that long and the dealer finds out he has no allocation for an ED, you've wasted three months waiting. So, if you want to move on one of these fast, perhaps you better forget the ED, unless you have lots of patience.

Can someone keep me honest here? Is this interpretation of mine correct, or am I not reading it correctly?
It's actually pretty clear to me.

They will not know how many cars they are getting until January, which is before the March allocation goes out. You do not have to wait until March to order-- you just have to wait until the end of January, which is when BMWNA allocates the March production to dealers. If you order at that time, you would be able to get a March or April production spot based on availability.
      12-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
TACTICLY
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, Comp brakes, Comp Pac

Letter From BMW to my Dealer

I am #1 on the list apparently cannot order car yet.

From: BMWEuropeanDelivery@bmwna.com [mailto:BMWEuropeanDelivery@bmwna.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:53 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients
Cc: CentralAMs@bmwfs.com; EasternAMs@internal; SouthernAMs@internal; WesternAMs@internal
Subject: Hot Topic - 1 Series M Coupe

Hello Sales Team,

Last week the 1 Series M Coupe was announced via Bulletin B-1-1210-11-M-01 and we are excited to offer the 1M Coupe in our European Delivery Program with a tentative launch date of May 16th. The Automotive Sales Department is currently determining how the 1M Coupe will be allocated and how many units will be available to the European Delivery Department. A decision will be announced by the end of January, before the March Allocation. We will not be confirming any 1M Coupe requests until that time.

We wish you a wonderful holiday and a very happy and prosperous 2011.
Thank you for supporting the European Delivery Program.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Your Special Sales team,

Cindy, Simone, Michelle, Larissa, Renee and Sabrina

European Delivery / Military / Diplomatic Sales and Executive Preference Program

Phone: 1 800-932-0831

bmweuropeandelivery@bmwna.com
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Now all we need to know for ED is:

1. Is there the standard pricing discount (although from memory M3s didn't benefit from one intially)
2. Do EDs count towards dealer allocations
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Not for nothing but we already knew this, nothing new.

Everything will be announced during Detroit and there are other things being considered at this time. Also- a dealer can give you their allocation if the BMWNA euro delivery allocation is all spoken for.
      12-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Not for nothing but we already knew this, nothing new.

Everything will be announced during Detroit and there are other things being considered at this time. Also- a dealer can give you their allocation if the BMWNA euro delivery allocation is all spoken for.
Map, you seem very informed. Maybe you can help me understand something about ED and dealer allocation. If a (US) dealer is only getting a couple 1M’s, what is the likelihood that they “give one away” for ED? Which brings up price. ED by nature is cheaper (~7%) to offset travel costs – a program set up by BMW to promote its product, no? With only a couple 1M allocations, whats in it for a dealer to offer ED on this car?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Am I naive to think I can order a 1M for ED in Spring 2012?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Am I naive to think I can order a 1M for ED in Spring 2012?
Spring lasts until late June, so yes if this bulletin is right you can get one ED.

The ED discount is the one stumbling block for me. If no discount, I'll probably pass on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
Map, you seem very informed. Maybe you can help me understand something about ED and dealer allocation. If a (US) dealer is only getting a couple 1M’s, what is the likelihood that they “give one away” for ED? Which brings up price. ED by nature is cheaper (~7%) to offset travel costs – a program set up by BMW to promote its product, no? With only a couple 1M allocations, whats in it for a dealer to offer ED on this car?
A limited number of 1Ms may be allocated directly to the Euro delivery pool like standard models and then would be like a standard euro delivery. If it comes out of dealer allocation they dealer would more than likely want to recoup the CSI money they lose on euro delivery cars- each dealer is different and if you are a frequent customer they would more than likely give you their slot.

As I have said before a good deal of info will be released around NAIAS.
      12-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
Spring lasts until late June, so yes if this bulletin is right you can get one ED.

The ED discount is the one stumbling block for me. If no discount, I'll probably pass on the car.
OK, good to know. Are there other BMWs that do not qualify for discounted ED? One would hope that if an M3 currently gets the discount, they can make the same happen for 1M.

I also hope that BMW doesn't pull some crap with artificially-too-low production. I understand why this car is limited, but if they announce something in 3 months like "all 1Ms are allocated through the entire production run", I will be disappointed, and a bit upset. This is a $50K car! Not some limited edition 911 for $200K. Every interview I watch with Dr. Segler in reference to the 1M always relates how this is an "everyman's car" which will allow for more people to experience the M-brand. Brilliant! But, if it ends up with demand greatly out-pacing supply, and MSRP mark-ups, I think Segler's missive has failed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
A limited number of 1Ms may be allocated directly to the Euro delivery pool like standard models and then would be like a standard euro delivery. If it comes out of dealer allocation they dealer would more than likely want to recoup the CSI money they lose on euro delivery cars- each dealer is different and if you are a frequent customer they would more than likely give you their slot.

As I have said before a good deal of info will be released around NAIAS.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yeah, thats the trick, right? Waiting to see if some can be allocated directly to the Euro delivery pool. Waiting is a little difficult in this environment - with the "fever" and all.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
gstopyra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yeah, thats the trick, right? Waiting to see if some can be allocated directly to the Euro delivery pool. Waiting is a little difficult in this environment - with the "fever" and all.

Thanks again
Fever...playing right into BMW's marketing plans.

/guilty
      12-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
Waiting is a little difficult in this environment - with the "fever" and all.
Then I must have the same "fever" because I'm headed to the "Dr." (dealer) today to see if they can take care of my ailment..... I just can't take it anymore! I also have this nasty itch, and it burns when I pee!

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I have no idea whether Euro Delivered 1M will come from dealer allocation, but I don't think it matters. Either way, I do not expect any Euro Del discount. That's the way it was for the first couple years of E9x M3 production. You could do the ED, but at the same price as domestic delivery.

Still, if I get one, I'll be doing ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Order in!! Vehicle inquiry report shows wholesale and MSRP so my hopes are up on ED discount (and then some)

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I have no idea whether Euro Delivered 1M will come from dealer allocation, but I don't think it matters.
It matters especially for folks in smaller markets with few dealers in the vicinity (luckily not my case). Say a regional dealer operating in a 'small market' get's one 1 ///M allocation per month. If the ED is not part of his formal allocation, he can then double/triple/etc. his order bank.

Anyway, it's NAIAS week, let's see what news comes out as far as ED.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0