BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

New 135i in South Africa

As some of you may (or not) have noticed, but I have been absent from this site for a week now - the reason - I picked up my car unexpectedly last Thursday and have not had the time to even think of logging on. "Should I log on or should I go for another drive....?" :biggrin:

I have come to the realisation that that view may be a little selfish so I apologise. (I reasoned that since there were many posts by many others who have also collected their cars, that you would not mind not being subjected to yet another post rubbing it in as to how AWESOME this car is :wink

I happened to stop by my dealership on Thursday last week to just do a last check to see if all of the paperwork was sorted out before collecting my car (which was only scheduled for delivery in early April) and to my surprise the car was there on the floor and had even been preped for delivery. So my dealer asks if I want to take the car then and there - talk about a silly question - "should I leave the car there for the holiday weekend, or should I take it and spend the weekend driving?" As you can imagine, not a difficult decision. I had to jump through a few hoops however as I have not yet settled my current (ex) car and insurance had not been finalised. BMW Finance agent got on the phone to Head Office and got permission for me to take the car even though the current deal was not settled (1 down).

I in the meantime was trying to get hold of my insurance broker at 4:00pm before a long weekend - no answer . I then managed to track down the insurance company that underwrites for the broker and they could not find any details on their system for me (It turns out I am on a group scheme and they do not hold the personal details on their side. However, I got hold of a very helpful gent who said he would cover me for the weekend until I could get my broker to add the car to my policy

So after a whole range of emotions I was able to take the car home. :drinking:

I have written a review previously on my driving impressions and it all still stands and it is in line with all of the positive reviews you have all read countless times, so I wont go into the details here. All I can say is, Wow :eyebulge::roundel:

For the Sedona haters I will spare subjecting you to a barrage of photos :biggrin:

I felt like a celebrity driving around this weekend (and still do) as I drew tons of attention at the malls, garage/filling stations, stopped at traffic lights (people winding down windows, wanting to start conversations etc), and whilst driving. A first for South Africa (and possibly the universe) I had a Porsche 911 passing me in the opposite direction and pointing towards my car to his buddy "hey look there goes a BMW" :biggrin:.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

KEWL!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
congrats i was wonder where u went
how many miles/km are you at now?
-d
      03-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
plexiglass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Congrats SA135i. Sadona red looks better in person.
      03-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

that great SA that you got your car early i remember you telling us you only expected it in April in previous threads. great news
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Awesome SA135i. I dunno about Sedona naysayers. Bring on the pics! :smile: It seems like a lot of people are finding their cars being done/delivered earlier than expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Congrats and welcome back
Pics of Sedona are welcome. I saw my first sedona 2 nights ago....wow that's a very interesting color.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the words...

Izzo - I am now sitting on just over 1,000km. The hardest part has been to keep it below 4,500rpm and I have to admit to transgressing this limit on the odd occassion :wink:

I must admit I am really pleased with the way Sedona has turned out and have had nothing but compliments on the colour. I will have to get a few nice pics uploaded for all to see once I get the car all nice and clean again (windows need to cure for 10 days before I can wash them on the inside and they are a little dirty after the tint I had done).

I also need to arrange a meet for a couple of fellow SA Addicts who have pm'd me to come for a little look see.

I have so far only done a few cosmetic/functional mods. 1st was to add a tracking device (required for insurance purposes) and one of the almost compulsory additions in SA. The nice thing this does is that it now gives the "beep" on lock and unlock that some other addicts were enquiring about.

Secondly, I had added a 50% tint (smash 'n grab) also pretty much a necessity. I was pretty undecided on whether to go 35% or 50% and felt that as the glass appears to have a little natural tint that the 35 may be too dark, but the 50 does not appear to be quite as dark as I had hoped.

The next little mod was to add a Parrot bluetooth car kit, which also has a little add-on which allows me to handle calls via the steering wheel buttons as well, and is way cheaper than the BMW alternative.

My next plan is to add the IPod integration, as thanks to BMWSA I was not able to add the usb interface during my build (and yes I'm still pissed about it ) Dension makes a product called Gateway 500 which allows the Ipod integration, title info display and control via the steering wheel. I was going to have it installed yesterday but the radio needs to be prepped for cd shuttle, and although the specs say that cd prep is supposedly standard the cd shuttle icon does not display on the radio display (apart from the front-loader obviously) - so I need to first check this out and if needed go and have another "friendly" discussion with my dealer. I had better use my celebrity status while it lasts. I went into the dealership the other day to collect my licence plates (which I have still not fitted yet :biggrin and all the sales staff and finance staff were all around me asking about the car etc as they still have not had the chance to drive one .

Larryn, I believe BMW like to underpromise and then over deliver rather than the other way around, so they tend to exagerate the delivery dates. I must say it is much better to get a present surprise when the car comes in a week early than to be hanging on a week after delivery was promised and still no car.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #9
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Congrats on your early delivery...Still have to wait till june for my 135i M black/Coral leather convertible.. Your fantastic write up makes the wait even longer.. haha
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Congrats on your early delivery...Still have to wait till june for my 135i M black/Coral leather convertible.. Your fantastic write up makes the wait even longer.. haha
Thanks Zuzu. I am interested to see what the convertible looks like. It should be sweet.

Have any 1ers been delivered 'down under' yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Thanks Zuzu. I am interested to see what the convertible looks like. It should be sweet.

Have any 1ers been delivered 'down under' yet?
Not me unfortunately. We're expecting Mid March for early orders.
      03-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

The Australian BMW Dealers havent even had their official launches yet of the 1 series. My dealer told me their launch wont be till end of April with deliveries starting 1st of MAY.. My delivery is 1st of June...Toooooo long to wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

OOOH, that is going to seem like an eternity, but in the end you will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
plexiglass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Pics?
      03-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
As some of you may (or not) have noticed, but I have been absent from this site for a week now - the reason - I picked up my car unexpectedly last Thursday and have not had the time to even think of logging on. "Should I log on or should I go for another drive....?" :biggrin:

I have come to the realisation that that view may be a little selfish so I apologise. (I reasoned that since there were many posts by many others who have also collected their cars, that you would not mind not being subjected to yet another post rubbing it in as to how AWESOME this car is :wink

I happened to stop by my dealership on Thursday last week to just do a last check to see if all of the paperwork was sorted out before collecting my car (which was only scheduled for delivery in early April) and to my surprise the car was there on the floor and had even been preped for delivery. So my dealer asks if I want to take the car then and there - talk about a silly question - "should I leave the car there for the holiday weekend, or should I take it and spend the weekend driving?" As you can imagine, not a difficult decision. I had to jump through a few hoops however as I have not yet settled my current (ex) car and insurance had not been finalised. BMW Finance agent got on the phone to Head Office and got permission for me to take the car even though the current deal was not settled (1 down).

I in the meantime was trying to get hold of my insurance broker at 4:00pm before a long weekend - no answer . I then managed to track down the insurance company that underwrites for the broker and they could not find any details on their system for me (It turns out I am on a group scheme and they do not hold the personal details on their side. However, I got hold of a very helpful gent who said he would cover me for the weekend until I could get my broker to add the car to my policy

So after a whole range of emotions I was able to take the car home. :drinking:

I have written a review previously on my driving impressions and it all still stands and it is in line with all of the positive reviews you have all read countless times, so I wont go into the details here. All I can say is, Wow :eyebulge::roundel:

For the Sedona haters I will spare subjecting you to a barrage of photos :biggrin:

I felt like a celebrity driving around this weekend (and still do) as I drew tons of attention at the malls, garage/filling stations, stopped at traffic lights (people winding down windows, wanting to start conversations etc), and whilst driving. A first for South Africa (and possibly the universe) I had a Porsche 911 passing me in the opposite direction and pointing towards my car to his buddy "hey look there goes a BMW" :biggrin:.
Guys guys, I just a had a meet with SA135, and all I can all my doubts about Sedona were unfounded.. The car looks unique and awesome in that colour.. BMW knew what they were doing launching this car in Sedona.. Its a unique colour for a unique car.. Congratulations SA135... Awesome car you have... now the wait begins...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #16
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Ghusheshe, glad you enjoyed the little visit. Good luck with your order and I look forward to seeing another convert to Sedona on the roads.

At least I managed to contribute to having one less white BMW on the roads. Look forward to our meet up in a few months time when you get yours.
Appreciate 0