01-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #45
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
If so then can you inform me how you do it because I find it's limits somewhat vague and hair trigger-ish, not to mention the rather twitchy behavior in the lead up to abrupt breakaway tailyness.

Don't get me wrong, this car is an absolute blast with a wicked wicked sense of fun but it is not a numpty car - no way. It really demands respect or it will bite you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Now I'm no Ken Block or Tanner Foust or what have you, but I definitely don't find the 1M an amateur's "Intro to Drifting 101" kind of car. I'm down with some hooning in it, but only with lots of room for error around and with great focus and concentration.
I tend to agree. So far my thinking is as follows:

1. If you go into a corner intending to get a little sideways (slow in, fast out, lots of throttle) it's quite predictable and controllable with practice. Still not to be taken lightly, but very manageable. Notice that's what Hammond, JC, Monkey, etc tend to be doing with the car in every video you see.

2. If you go into a corner intending to go fast then it's a different animal- mid corner bumps or a little unexpected boost can lead to unintended break-away (with TC off), and given that the limits are so high you'll be going sideways very quickly indeed when this happens. Best explored with plenty of runoff... (see Stig setting the Top Gear lap).

Either way, to me this car only really comes alive with the TC off, driven slightly sideways. Given the risks involved one could argue that's a bit of a shame, but it does make for a very impressive experience that completely separates it from "normal" cars.

In all of these 135i vs 1M threads, I can't help thinking how completely different a driving experience the 135i is, likely unbeknownst to the owners, unless they've added a LSD. The smile that comes from having the car somewhat sideways for the better part of a city block is something they'll never experience. Of course behavior like that is likely to both increase our collective insurance rates and reduce the number of 1Ms around over time.

The 1M is a complete hooligan, but it needs real skill to fully utilize and appreciate in anything other than very controlled (autocross, etc) conditions. Anyone who thinks otherwise is likely in for an expensive reality check...
      01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #46
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

no doubt! 1m is def 2011 car of the year.

2012 car of the year? f10 m5.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
We filmed one for our TopGear Christmas DVD. I had to drive it though a sort of shooting range, along narrow, twisting tracks past hordes of blokes armed with paintball guns, chasing me on dirt bikes and in a modified Bowler Wildcat. There was even a helicopter carrying more potential paintball assassins. I can be honest here and confess that we had a stunt driver on standby, just in case it all got a bit much for idiot boy and someone got killed. In the event, I was able to slither the thing around with such pace and accuracy that the stunt driver stayed in his car drinking cold coffee.
Remember the Z4 "Expression of Joy" commercial (art car by Robin Rhode) (2009):

Audi apparently got some inspiration from the TG video and the Z4 commercial (maybe also the 'walls' and 'heli platform donuts' 1M commercials), for promoting its 2013 RS4:

03-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #48
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nicely done.

But I think a TTRS is a better car suited for this kind of stuff.

Those boats still have a lot of understeer...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0