BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: l

UUC Motorwerks EVO3 Short Shifter

I can't wait!

Thursday is gonna be like Christmas for me!! I'm driving down to Philly to HELIX Motorsports to have them install my UUC shifter.

The one weak link on the manual tranny on these cars. Plus, I am having them install the CNC'd dogbone link. I will report back on the improvement.

I am planning on re-using the stock shift knob and NON Alcantera shift boot.

Since selling the GT500 last month, I have begun to drive the 135 everyday. I have re-connected with it and am really enjoying the he!! out of it! The shifter should make it like buying a new car all over again.

EDIT- turned 5400 on the clock this afternoon.
Attached Images

Last edited by bikeboy; 06-07-2011 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
MikesOne
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Please report back. Would like to hear your impressions. Seems like a worthy upgrade along with the cdv.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

UUC plus CDV delete makes this car much more enjoyable and easier to drive. Lightened flywheel and clutch only add to the driveability and enjoyment.
      06-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I got it in my cabriolet, throws are shorter but my SSK rotates a little. Order the DSSR but maybe got the wrong one. Customer service is good with UUC if you can get a hold of them, FYI if anyone is interested.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy View Post
I can't wait!

Thursday is gonna be like Christmas for me!! I'm driving down to Philly to HELIX Motorsports to have them install my UUC shifter.

The one weak link on the manual tranny on these cars. Plus, I am having them install the CNC'd dogbone link. I will report back on the improvement.

I am planning on re-using the stock shift knob and NON Alcantera shift boot.

Since selling the GT500 last month, I have begun to drive the 135 everyday. I have re-connected with it and am really enjoying the he!! out of it! The shifter should make it like buying a new car all over again.

EDIT- turned 5400 on the clock this afternoon.
First of all...thanks to all who turned me on to Helix in Manyunk, Philadelphia! The owner, Eric Savage is GREAT!

The UUC shifter is in...the DSSR from UUC was incorrectly CNC'd, so wouldn't fit!! I am NOT HAPPY with UUC, btw. Not only did the DSSR NOT fit my car because of poor machining, but the shift lever came in the mail to me without any compression fittings to tighten down the adjustable portion of the lever. Consequently, I am driving around until sometime next week with a shift lever that spins left to right about an inch and a half in your hand as you shift! VERY frustrating. Supposedly there are some compression fittings on the way to my home for me to have to dick with installing now. Poor QC if you ask me...nonetheless, the shifting is much improved over stock, and I would recommend it to everyone. Hopefully you get a better shifter the first time from them? It's changed the driving of the car entirely...no more 100 yard shifts between gears, and very tight and precise almost 'machined' feeling shifts. Even without the DSSR installed.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Everytime i hear anything about UUC it's similar situations...yay product..then doh it sucks...
      06-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
First of all...thanks to all who turned me on to Helix in Manyunk, Philadelphia! The owner, Eric Savage is GREAT!

The UUC shifter is in...the DSSR from UUC was incorrectly CNC'd, so wouldn't fit!! I am NOT HAPPY with UUC, btw. Not only did the DSSR NOT fit my car because of poor machining, but the shift lever came in the mail to me without any compression fittings to tighten down the adjustable portion of the lever. Consequently, I am driving around until sometime next week with a shift lever that spins left to right about an inch and a half in your hand as you shift! VERY frustrating. Supposedly there are some compression fittings on the way to my home for me to have to dick with installing now. Poor QC if you ask me...nonetheless, the shifting is much improved over stock, and I would recommend it to everyone. Hopefully you get a better shifter the first time from them? It's changed the driving of the car entirely...no more 100 yard shifts between gears, and very tight and precise almost 'machined' feeling shifts. Even without the DSSR installed.
Should've asked us before the purchase, and/or read reviews. UUC's quality has dropped significantly over the years... get rid of the turbo badge and maybe things will start to look better.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Should've asked us before the purchase, and/or read reviews. UUC's quality has dropped significantly over the years... get rid of the turbo badge and maybe things will start to look better.
Turbo badge is on with JB Weld ...it ain't comin' off!

L M F A O!!!

EDIT- Oh yeah, drilled and screwed too.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Had the same compression problems, luckily my shop had a press. There were still problems and was told by UUC to sand down the cylinder.

Bikeboy, did you tighten the bottom nut? This fixed a lot of my shiftier rotation.

I'm still in talks with UUC about the DSSR. Really poor QC and CS all around.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Comparing this short shifter to the bmw one. Wich one is shoter?
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #11
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
UUC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
Comparing this short shifter to the bmw one. Wich one is shoter?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

FWIW, I have had one in my 2008 135 since day one, install was a PITA, but had no issues with fit, missing parts etc. have had them in all my other BMW's also with no issues, i don't know if something happened there but its all good with me.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

The DSSR non-fitting issue is not down to quality control at all.

It doesn't fit because they never tested it in a 135i. They simply assumed the one they manufactured for the 335i would fit the 135i, whereas in fact the shifter carrier is not exactly the same in both of these cars.

Their customer service and support is terrible - they just keeping on denying that there is a problem.

I managed to speak to the head honcho, Rob Levinson, and he virtually admitted they had never tried the DSSR on a 135i, yet still maintained there wouldn't be a problem.

If they send you another one it will not fit either. The only solution is to machine it.

There are lots of threads about this. Here is one:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=dssr&page=2

Jack
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Same thing happened to me with the UUC Swaybarbarian. Rubbish in the 135i. I wonder how many UUC parts are left uninstalled in the spare bits pile of folk's garages.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

guess im not ging to get the uuc ssk im going to get the bmw ssk
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
UUC SSK is fine-ish, still better then the BMWP SSK which I heard becomes sloppy after some time. I love Dinan products however their's doesn't have much of a shorter throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
guess im not ging to get the uuc ssk im going to get the bmw ssk
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update anyone with the UUC EVO3 SSK that has continual frustration with a twisting left-to-right shift lever...
That will NEVER go away, as this lever has an inferior design flaw. I (against the instruction sheet) took the top safety TORX bolt out of the lever. Unbelievably to my eyes, I see that the only thing in the top of this lever to keep it snug, is a lousy piece of silicone rubber tubing!! Well, no friggin wonder everyone complains of this? It is the most jickjack designed part I have ever purchased. Now, that said, it also deserves credit for being very properly design at the lower end where it attaches quite nicely to the shift linkage and does in fact have nice crisp, short throws. However, without the mod that I performed, I would have NEVER been satisfied with it.

I removed the white nylon bushing from this SS knob that I had for this very same car. As well took out the 5mm set screw from it. That bushing was extremely close in size to the inside diameter of the upper portion of the UUC lever. Then with a little sanding of the outside of the bushing, it fit nice and snug up inside that lever handle. It also fit very tightly over the spindle coming up from the floorboard, which left me to the last of the fix.

I then drilled a 5mm hole and tapped the hole for the set screw at the bottom of the lever handle to secure to the lower shift shaft...and now I have an infinitely adjustable, totally safe and unbelievably snug shift...every time!! This is how they (UUC) should have designed these shifters to begin with! Only problem is, now I have a lame, unuseable SS shift knob that cost me a $100 bucks I think. But it was totally worth it to scavenge from it to fix this issue!

I hope this helps you guys that are just fed up with the mediocrity of these EVO3 levers?

Cheers and good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0