BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Pedal replacement issue

Today I replaced the stock pedals with a metal set from the Performance catalog. I also made the front grill replacement with gloss black grill. They look good as I imagined but I have a question to you guys who made the pedal replacement before; is it technically possible that the car can loose some power and/or throttle response after this? You know, they check the connection with the computer and they test drive it to make sure the everything is OK (they drove it 9 km. with different road and engine speeds, they say) but they did not know how the car was before, I do and I feel quite different, like there is less power all over, especially in lower revolutions and throttle response is not as sharp. Shall I keep listening the car or just take it back, I did not have much time to test the car myself, today is passed already and it was a BMW service, not some workshop.

This feeling maybe already got worse when I noticed at the service that the compressor of the Mobility System is missing, I always check trunk area and manuals etc after any job. Unfortunately I can't tell for sure if it was there from the beginning or not. The car is delivered just 3 weeks ago and has only 220 km.s on it. I hope they will just replace it next week or so. It was just a nasty feeling and when I drive the car leaving the service I really felt very different which made everything even worse for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Did you put on the BMW Stainless Steel peddles? The ones that replace the whole gas pedal?

I put those on my 1M, cause I had them left over from my 135i. And I kinda feel the way you do. Did it lose some power?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

yes exactly those! I feel like I should never do that now
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
interesting...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I took the car for a drive again on emptier and more familiar streets. Observations:

1) Everything different, including exhaust noise, power delivery and throttle response/sensitivity. I also used the M button for the first time for a few seconds and throttle was almost like the car before the service but without the M button pressed, go figure it. As it stands, it is kind of a smoother, more normal, less noisy version of my earlier car!

2) It definitely doesn't feel as torquey.

3) I checked the papers that they gave me from the service and it says at the end there was a codifying/programming of the ECU. I feel like this is all about it and they made something, something wrong.

I will take the car back to service but I am afraid they may make another mistake. I will post again when I know more about what this is.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
JFT
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I just got my AW 1M delivered today! Very excited but won't bore you with low-res pictures of a dirty 1M with winter OEM wheels without spacers, especially since this wonderful car is so beautifully documented elsewhere on this site!

The dealer had installed the Performance pedals as a freebie, which was a nice gesture, but now I'm worried based on this post that they may affect performance, even though I don't see why they would...

Was there ever any resolution to this question?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Hi, congratulations on the 1M and thanks for reminding me this thread. First of all, my pedal set was the steel pedal set from BMW (check my new photos including the pedals in the thread Owners of VO Pictures) which comes with a full accelarator. Despite the DIY section in 1 series coupe forum confirming there was no need for any coding or so, my very helpful ! BMW service here insisted they need to and at that time I did not want to argue too much with them what to do or not. Actually, the service invoice was clearly showing that they plugged the car and checked or reprogrammed the ECU and that was also a reason of serious concern for me. They also test drove the car for around 9 kms (in order to make sure the accelerator was working fine) without first asking to me and I am % 100 sure they did not treat the car very smoothly during that test.

Now about my complaints after the installation, they gradually disappeared after a few days of use Especially the sound was so obviously different I was really happy that it came back including the drone which I don't mind, even like a bit.

Since I don't sense any significant differences any more in terms of power, delivery and the sound of the exhaust I prefer not to dig it anymore.

In any case, there shouldn't be a need for coding or messing with the ECU for any type of pedals' replacement job, and this you may check with your dealer in order to be sure how they installed them.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

so, is this a new way for the dealers to get a joy ride in the new ///M by installing the pedals at delivery and claiming they needed a test drive for 9Km?

Hope nothing happened to you cars guys, but I would be very unhappy with the dealer in this case.

P.S.

I installed ///M labeled aluminum pedals and they are looking good, far better than OEM(s), and better grip too. The only thing I did not like was the dead pedal fitment, was quite short.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I was very unhappy and when I am like that I always find ways to make the responsible unhappy as well. They gave me a brand new Mobility set free without knowing if that was disappeared at that service or not (which is a costly item here) together with an official apology plus I am going to personally supervise my 1st oil change in another, bigger service if they honour their words.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
3) I checked the papers that they gave me from the service and it says at the end there was a codifying/programming of the ECU. I feel like this is all about it and they made something, something wrong.
^ I would suspect this above the pedal install. It's quite frequently you hear of people complaining of a loss of power or more lag (or in some cases, excited to have MORE power and LESS lag) after flashing to the latest version in the 135i world. I don't think it's necessarily something wrong, but rather they've changed certain areas (perhaps tweaks to improve other areas, like fuel economy or reliability) and you're noticing them. For the next update they could very well do the opposite, and tweak throttle response and power. Not sure how they dictate the direction they take.

If you really want to rule out the pedal, it's a one screw / one connection ordeal to put the original one back (if you still have it). There are DIYs on it here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Be prepared for them to add another 12 kms or so when they do the oil change. My dealership did it and said they had to to ensure the car was fully filled with oil. (Takes so many miles before the in dash sensor displays). I have to say I was quite surprised to see the additional mileage. I have told them they do not have permission to drive the car off the lot under any circumstances now without prior approval from me. I recommend the same upon every visit.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Oh, I am not living this car unattended for BMW Chile anymore! I will take a day off and stay there, hopefully inside the service, believe me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I unknowingly sold my BMW performance pedal set of my 2008 M3 sedan to someone who had a 2010 and the pedal did not work. I can't imagine why a 1series gas pedal unit would work fine on a 1M. The problem is, you're changing the whole gas pedal assembly, not just the cover. The pedal sensitivity, input, etc. could be entirely different.
      01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

When I bought that pedal kit they were a part of the 1M original accessories list. I checked that from the bmw.de web site price list as well as other sources. A friend of mine who lives in Germany bought them for me from a big BMW dealer again confirming that they would work for the 1M with no problem. The service here also checked before the installation and said there is no problem of installation. So, I thought I did my homework at the time.

Interestingly, these pedals together with the alu pedals disappeared from the 1M price list after the list was renewed typically in September 2011

I really don't know if that was a late correction from BMW AG or just a small mistake. The thing is the car works as it was before the installation right now but for a few days I was like driving a 130i or something.

I will definetly find the reason of this problem one day but I think I need a good service and/or a technician first.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
JFT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I can't imagine why a 1series gas pedal unit would work fine on a 1M. The problem is, you're changing the whole gas pedal assembly
Really? I was under the assumption that it was only the surface area of the pedal that was changed. These are the pedals I have to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...imageVersion=1

What do you think - should I ask them to put the originals back on or keep them?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
JFT
Rep

I just realized we are talking about two different things. You had a COMPLETE pedal set incuding accelerator. For me it seems just the pads were changed, right. I guess it's new owner paranoia on my part...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I unknowingly sold my BMW performance pedal set of my 2008 M3 sedan to someone who had a 2010 and the pedal did not work.
In this case, the parts changed after 2008 (and again after 2011).

Quote:
I can't imagine why a 1series gas pedal unit would work fine on a 1M.
The 1M is a 1 series. Just sayin.

Quote:
The problem is, you're changing the whole gas pedal assembly, not just the cover. The pedal sensitivity, input, etc. could be entirely different.
According to RealOEM, the part for the assembly is the same on all E82/E84/E88 1-series (35426793742), including 1M. So the performance pedals should work just fine in all of them.

Again, I suspect the flash update over the gas pedal. To me, a changed gas pedal assembly doesn't result in a change of exhaust tone. There are various threads on here where people complain about lack of power, lag, change in sound, etc. (or sometimes, the opposite) after being updated. Here are just a few (there are tons - search some of these terms: "flash update lag"):

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=latest+flash

EDIT: Just caught the bit where you said it is now ok. See next post.

Last edited by Xaeryan; 01-10-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
The thing is the car works as it was before the installation right now but for a few days I was like driving a 130i or something.
The other potential based on this statement is that they disconnected the battery completely for a while (to install the pedals?) and it's required an adaptation cycle to get back to where you remember it. Or perhaps the coding required re-adaptation. Glad to hear its back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Those explanations make sense to me, just might be the case.
Appreciate 0