BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

My New Toy

Hey everyone, picked this up a few weeks back. First one to receive this spec from my dealer after waiting a couple months after putting the deposit down.

No previous experience so I had to start somewhere. I haven't had a chance to ride it hard yet as I'm waiting for my leathers to arrive.

It's really comfortable and has a lot of usable power for a LAMS bike but I don't have much to compare it to.

NINJA 300 ABS Special Edition

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

This is the new 300 yeah Vin?

I was looking at either this or a CB400 as a LAMS bike.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
This is the new 300 yeah Vin?

I was looking at either this or a CB400 as a LAMS bike.
Hey Sam, yeh it's the 300. I don't know much about the CB400 but for a LAMS bike I'd recommend either the CBR250 or Ninja 250/300 as they seem like the most popular choices. I did do my Q Ride on some really old CB250's with over 400,000km's on them, and they still ran hard considering the hard life they've had
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Hey Sam, yeh it's the 300. I don't know much about the CB400 but for a LAMS bike I'd recommend either the CBR250 or Ninja 250/300 as they seem like the most popular choices. I did do my Q Ride on some really old CB250's with over 400,000km's on them, and they still ran hard considering the hard life they've had
Feel free to throw me a review after some decent riding!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
Feel free to throw me a review after some decent riding!
Will do mate. Just need to rack up some km's and get past the break-in
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

That garage is so clean and neat it's a little disturbing.

Don't forget to ride with awareness as though they are all out to get you. Stay out of the blind spot and practice emergency stops and evasive manouvers till they are instinctive when you need them. And need them you will at some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sweet! Love the plate! (on the bike!)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
That garage is so clean and neat it's a little disturbing.

Don't forget to ride with awareness as though they are all out to get you. Stay out of the blind spot and practice emergency stops and evasive manouvers till they are instinctive when you need them. And need them you will at some time.
Thanks for the tips on riding Gazz

If only you could see the other side of the garage... looks like a (messy) workshop. So long as I know where everything is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sweet! Love the plate! (on the bike!)
Thanks David. They used to go on my car and were no longer in use so I had them remade for the bike. I actually don't see too many bikes around with personalised plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Congrats, a much better lams choice than the virago one of the boys at work got lol.

As others have said be carefull and ride like its not IF you get hit but WHEN!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
..Don't forget to ride with awareness as though they are all out to get you. Stay out of the blind spot and practice emergency stops and evasive manouvers till they are instinctive when you need them. And need them you will at some time.
+1.

I'd also add you should never ride in a static manner in traffic or in multilane environment with cars around you. Constantly move within your lane from side to side and back and forth relative to cars around you. You want them to be focussing on you and what the bloody Hell you are up to, not letting you fade away so they can take you out when lane changing.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

^ + 1000

Congrats - You'll love it.

As others have said - awareness, predict, awareness, predict ........... the biggest winner, and potentially the biggest looser when it comes to your safety, is you. No one cares about it as much as you do - so you need to control it as much as you can.

Expect the unexpected, it WILL happen sooner or later. Sometimes it's driver being idiots and knowing it, but mostly, it's drivers just being bad drivers - and most are.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard riders who've been hit tell stories where the driver says something like - "I didn't see you".

At the start, it takes concentration, but if you control the important linkage between your brain and your right hand, drive to the conditions, under-rate your ability - and ride to it, and expect other road users to do the stupidest thing imaginable, you will be fine.

Have fun
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Congrats, a much better lams choice than the virago one of the boys at work got lol.

As others have said be carefull and ride like its not IF you get hit but WHEN!
Thanks Paul. I'm heard that a few times so I'm preparing for it (hopefully it never happens though).

I'll post pics of my gear as it comes in... it's not cheap either! ATGATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
enjoy!
Thanks Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
+1.

I'd also add you should never ride in a static manner in traffic or in multilane environment with cars around you. Constantly move within your lane from side to side and back and forth relative to cars around you. You want them to be focussing on you and what the bloody Hell you are up to, not letting you fade away so they can take you out when lane changing.
Thanks for the advice Kenny. The instructor made the same point you made, don't drive in a completely straight line at night, do anything to be seen. Chances are they will notice your headlights weaving a bit at night and if you're lucky, assume you've been drinking so they'll stay away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
^ + 1000

Congrats - You'll love it.

As others have said - awareness, predict, awareness, predict ........... the biggest winner, and potentially the biggest looser when it comes to your safety, is you. No one cares about it as much as you do - so you need to control it as much as you can.

Expect the unexpected, it WILL happen sooner or later. Sometimes it's driver being idiots and knowing it, but mostly, it's drivers just being bad drivers - and most are.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard riders who've been hit tell stories where the driver says something like - "I didn't see you".

At the start, it takes concentration, but if you control the important linkage between your brain and your right hand, drive to the conditions, under-rate your ability - and ride to it, and expect other road users to do the stupidest thing imaginable, you will be fine.

Have fun
Thanks for the tips mate. Great points
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

The worst offenders are people who try and run into you for some bizarre reason.
Examples:
Overtake you mid corner.
Try and share your lane.
Try and run into you to stop you lane splitting
etc etc - got no idea why they do this...

Sometimes people miss you by mistake - shit happens - best thing is to try and watch everyone and try and make sure they have seen you.

My bike has not been ridden for a while - gotta take it for a spin...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
pavo335
Banned
Rep

i put my bike down when an old fart in a rolls pulled straight out from a servo into the middle lane. he probably does this all the time, the only problem was on this occasion I was in the middle lane at the time. Well the bike had to be put down and his vintage rolls had a scratch on it somewhere and i was limping for a couple of months
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Ride it like every car out there is out to get you!

90% of accidents happen in a 60 zone around intersections - so be extra careful in those areas.

Nice ride, especially for a first bike. Once you can upgrade to bigger, you'll really notice the performance and handling benefits of larger sport bikes!

Enjoy it mate!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
The worst offenders are people who try and run into you for some bizarre reason.
Examples:
Overtake you mid corner.
Try and share your lane.
Try and run into you to stop you lane splitting
etc etc - got no idea why they do this...

Sometimes people miss you by mistake - shit happens - best thing is to try and watch everyone and try and make sure they have seen you.

My bike has not been ridden for a while - gotta take it for a spin...
Bloody cagers! I see it happen all the time, just bizarre!

Quote:
i put my bike down when an old fart in a rolls pulled straight out from a servo into the middle lane. he probably does this all the time, the only problem was on this occasion I was in the middle lane at the time. Well the bike had to be put down and his vintage rolls had a scratch on it somewhere and i was limping for a couple of months
That's a shame mate, sounds like a nasty crash. Any plans to get back on a bike soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
Ride it like every car out there is out to get you!

90% of accidents happen in a 60 zone around intersections - so be extra careful in those areas.

Nice ride, especially for a first bike. Once you can upgrade to bigger, you'll really notice the performance and handling benefits of larger sport bikes!

Enjoy it mate!
Thanks mate. I haven't had a chance to redline it as I'm running it in properly but there's plenty of usable torque in its meaty power band. It would have nothing on the bigger bikes but it's pretty decent when compared similar sized bikes.

I've already got my eyes on the new Ninja 636 after my year is up but don't want to get too ahead of myself just yet. I'm really enjoying the 300 as my first bike to learn on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's a shame mate, sounds like a nasty crash. Any plans to get back on a bike soon?
well I had a though of buying a harley (read i'm old and not built for speed) but the wife and kids had other ideas. so I'm looking at a Go Kart ATM
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
well I had a though of buying a harley (read i'm old and not built for speed) but the wife and kids had other ideas. so I'm looking at a Go Kart ATM
Why not get both?

Go Kart is great for cheap thrills. For the price of my protective gear for my bike I could have easily bought 2 Go Karts! Maybe some day, because they are so cheap but not sure if I'd ever have the time and the 1er doesn't have a tow. Wouldn't mind getting a Lotus at some point though but they're not cheap for a toy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why not get both?

Go Kart is great for cheap thrills. For the price of my protective gear for my bike I could have easily bought 2 Go Karts! Maybe some day, because they are so cheap but not sure if I'd ever have the time and the 1er doesn't have a tow. Wouldn't mind getting a Lotus at some point though but they're not cheap for a toy.
gauging from your number plate you are a bit younger than I and I will assume dont have little ones that need to be driven all over the place, so there is no point in getting both as i dont have the time.

As for 2 * kart for the price of your protective gear, all I can say is FARK thats expensive gear cause the one kart with trailer i'm looking at is over 12k
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
gauging from your number plate you are a bit younger than I and I will assume dont have little ones that need to be driven all over the place, so there is no point in getting both as i dont have the time.

As for 2 * kart for the price of your protective gear, all I can say is FARK thats expensive gear cause the one kart with trailer i'm looking at is over 12k
Wows.. my gear is expensive but no where near 12k.

Does the kart you're looking at have 200hp or something?

I was referring to 2 stroke karts with 125cc and 30hp that can be picked up for 2k.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I was referring to 2 stroke karts with 125cc and 30hp that can be picked up for 2k.
yep that sounds about right for a shitty old clapped out kart that has had more hits than the big O. but if you want a new-ish kart and trailer then your looking at 12 and up, could be 20 by the time the kids get going. AND god do i hope they do so they can come with me and i dont have to do the run around.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335
Quote:

yep that sounds about right for a shitty old clapped out kart that has had more hits than the big O. but if you want a new-ish kart and trailer then your looking at 12 and up, could be 20 by the time the kids get going. AND god do i hope they do so they can come with me and i dont have to do the run around.
Lol Pavo! I just picked up a Kart with 09(i think) 125cc rotax barely used (and straight) for under 2K. The guy was desperate to sell, the motor is healthy but will probably need a freshen up in a bit , but hardly that expensive. Depending on what you want it for, Im just wanting the kart for a bit of fun on practice days so didnt need to go all out, i did see the karts you are talking about of up to 10K

Sorry for the thread jack Vinney

Last edited by 510135; 11-06-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0