E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant smell when take a turn?

05-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

Coolant smell when take a turn?

I smell coolant inside the cabin just about everytime I made a sharp turn, into the driveway. Does anyone else ahev this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Shure its not maybe winshield washer fluid smell ? It smells quite strong, whereas the BMW coolant does have such a strong smell

They sometimes leak a bit when very full ( atleast in other BMW's ) while taking corners

Open up the washer filler hole and take a sniff and see if its the same smell
      05-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

Thanks, I will check it out. It's coming thru the vents and I noticed it since day one. Have you entercounter similar issue with yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
      05-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Great that's exactly what we want, BMWNA to read all our posts then contact us if something is wrong. You ever heard the line "Don't call me, I'll call you" :mad: :mad:
2013 M5 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

not to alarm you but I had the same smell in my car. It turns out later that i had a defect water pump. How does that relate to the coolant fluid? See if you agreed. My water pump was not working normal so for several week, I would smelled coolant (I just ignored the smell). I found out several weeks later that the water pump was not working, the coolant was getting really hot. The coolant system is designed to release steam (that is what it was doing). Since I was commuting back and forth to work, it was not enough stress on the engine for the warning lights to show up (this is my guess). However, when I went on the interstate (running away from huricane Rita) that is when my car over heated and I stopped and popped the hood and there it was, the coolant reservoir had fluid all over it. I would suggest you keep an eye on your coolant reservoir. But I see that our resident BMW rep has chime in on this thread.
Appreciate 0